Trouble installing Manjaro on emachines W3623 computer

Right. Usual causes…(there are others)

1. failing hard drive
  2. cmos battery (motherboard battery) dead or dying.

Check (2) first - it’s easier and easier to fix.

Okay! But how does this explain it booting windows and Debian? I’ll still check just wondering

Good question. Fortuitous?
But seriously, could just be the part of the hard drive the partition is installed in. Meaning the hard drive part that is faulty.

You can repartition your disk sda1 100 gb
sda2 100 gb sda3 100 GB… and use partition sda4 for you manjaro partition. Again no boot.
See if that helps. And if it works, then it’s the part of the hard drive that’s failing. But… it will , in future also happen to the currently working partition. And you should prepare to change the hard drive.

Repeat, it may work in windows and debian because you did not set them to the first part of the drive. Remember, it was sda2 for them.

ps: had happened to me before, some time ago. 2 occasions, 2 drives.

Haha well that watch battery is dead as can be. I guess it was just shear dumb luck.

Shoot I checked another motherboard I had discarded because it wouldn’t boot and it’s battery was dead too! What’s the battery’s function?

This wouldn’t have anything to do with it right?

It is lucky it’s just the battery, not the hard drive.
But for old system, keep an eye out on the hard drive too.
Cheers.

The HDD should be fairly new. So I thought the battery was just for the system clock? How would this prevent it from booting? It’ll be a couple hours before I can try this. I’ll let you know on that part.

Edit: oh and that error I sent a picture of have anything to do with it?

Technically, IDK. I just know that it happens.
Come to think if it, it had happened to me too, some time ago, I think, not sure. Or to someone else. When you have a better answer, let us know.

I in bed, typing from phone.

Haha okay. I’ll be back in a few hours to let you know.

Okay it did not work. I get something that says “watchdog did not stop” or something similar to that. It flashes on the screen when I reboot or turn of the computer. It still won’t boot from the drive.

These were full installs with no partitions. I even reinstalled Debian to check this yesterday.

From here and here

The watchdog did not stop! line is normal behavior. systemd sets a …

Now, you now cannot boot up manjaro and you reinstalled Debian and Debian boots?
Is manjaro still around?
Because if Manjaro is still around, we’ll boot Manjaro using Debian’s grub (with some modification).

I had Debian installed yesterday. I deleted it today for the fresh install of Manjaro.

Yes it’s only Manjaro. No other OS on here.

It cannot boot (by itself)?
Can you boot using the link I provided (using livecd grub)?
Then provide the information (output from terminal) [print please, not screen shots]in the link after booting up to Manjaro.
Also provide the entry (one entry, the first one) of grub.cfg (in /boot/grub/grub.cfg).

No it cannot boot by itself.

Yes. I will do that now.

You mean the info about the grub I am downloading?

Hmm… there’s a lock next to grub.cfg and it won’t let me access it.

Needs root privileges.

How do I gain root privilege?

For example in terminal

sudo cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg

but you have to navigate to the installation relevant folder. For Live installer, password for root is manjaro

So you can boot into manjaro install OS (not livecd). But using livecd menu grub.
From the link, the output required is…

efibootmgr -v
sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
findmnt -s
findmnt /boot/efi

And yes, need first entry of /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Please print. Not screen shots.
If error or no output, print error output or state no output.
And continue to the next command.
Do not stop.

Okay, I entered the command that @AgentS told me and ran it. What do you mean by first entry? Sorry I’m really trying to learn and do this right. I don’t want to end up sending you the wall of text I have here if you don’t need it.

The first entry, like…

menuentry 'Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 4.19rc2.0906.gdb44bf4-1-MANJARO x64)' --class manjaro --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.19rc2.0906.gdb44bf4-1-MANJARO x64-advanced-c69d25c9-73a6-4a1e-a586-805d060cc822' {
                load_video
                set gfxpayload=keep
                insmod gzio
                insmod part_gpt
                insmod fat
                set root='hd0,gpt3'
                if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
                  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-ieee1275='ieee1275//disk@0,gpt3' --hint-bios=hd0,gpt3 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt3 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt3  FD9F-06D0
                else
                  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root FD9F-06D0
                fi
                echo    'Loading Linux 4.19rc2.0906.gdb44bf4-1-MANJARO x64 ...'
                linux   /vmlinuz-4.19-x86_64 root=UUID=c69d25c9-73a6-4a1e-a586-805d060cc822 rw  quiet splash
                echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
                initrd  /intel-ucode.img /initramfs-4.19-x86_64.img
        }

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark