Trouble booting Manjaro USB

Hello, I'm having a problem with booting usb bootable Manjaro on my laptop HP Pavelin dv6(only bios legacy)
I create usb by rufus, etcher, on linux with dd and other, but when I try to boot from an USB, i have black screen with with the inscription "Grub", and nothing happens.
I searched and read all possible articles on this problem, but nothing helps

This might be a good start
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HP_Pavilion_dv6018

the article describes the steps after installation, but I can not install the manjaro

that refers to booting the install media. :slight_smile:

can you help me? how use “noapic” or “acpi=noirq” kernel parameter in usb bootable??

We will see. Do you see the GRUB boot menu or there is nothing displayed? Or it hangs right after you press Enter on the BOOT menu entry?

1 Like

in the upper left corner I see an inscription "GRUB" and nothing else is displayed

If you can't access the GRUB boot menu, i think the only way to install is trough Architect, and for that you will have to download that ISO and create the USB media install.

manjaro Architect does not booting either((

I'm afraid you will have to try different things then. Don't know if that laptop has Secure Boot or Fast Boot options in BIOS. If it does, then must be disabled to boot linux.
You could try an older install media, but you will have to be very careful with the updates after that ... or maybe you need a custom install media.

This is exactly what has been happening to me over the last 2 days. I had noticed instability in my system over the last 2 months of use in pacman where simple updates would out-right fail after hanging for about a half hour. I decided to fully wipe my system after having graphics issues on top of pacman issues.

Architect is my primary installation method as I just love the feel of it. Stable, XFCE, dedicated NVME disk to install with additional storage as 2 HDD drives mounted into my home folder. Let it run while watching a video and came back to finish off my user account and reboot into the install, finding the install goes to command line grub. Tried booting into Architect to use its grub to boot the system and it found no grub entries. Fully wiped and reinstalled with refind and systemd-boot respectivly and nothing worked.

I hold onto a few other distros on throw away flash drives so I tried Xubuntu 18.04 first, installed and booted just fine. Pure OS 8 installed and booted to a vagely broken gnome, that seems par for the course for me and gnome shell. I want Manjaro on this system so I went back to Architect to reinstall but preserving the working grub and adding manjaro as an entry only to have that fail in frustration. I went back to the Xubuntu live disk, pulled down manjaro xfce stable, wiped my Pure OS disk and put that on it and installed via that iso and its Graphical installer. Worked just fine and booted into the install cleanly.

Architect not oly left me with a system that did not boot but also took the longest to install. Each reinstall of architect happened during an entire hour long video of doom eternal each time. while Xubuntu, Pure OS and the Stand alone XFCE install all took less than a half hour. This was a frustrating few days of quarantine and did not save logs of the failed installs.

Have a good one.

This doesn't sound like the same issue at all.

Architect is a "manual" installation method (i.e. it's up to you to get the driver configuration correct - Architect will let you install the wrong drivers if you want) and will download packages rather than using the provided installation image.

It sounds like you should try a "normal" installation process before blaming Manjaro?

The original post states that the result of the installation is command line grub, that is the same result I got via Architect which was a suggested solution to this problem. While my account is freshly minted, I have been using Manjaro for over a year and successfully installed it on 5 machines exclusively via Architect until about 20 or so minutes from posting in this forum. This was not an installation error by me selecting the wrong option or wrong driver, but rather an issue with something not downloading right that can be resolved with an offline installation media. The general instability of a system happens on the machine I wrote about because it is my testbed for ideas and general fun and Manjaro has been significantly more stable than other distributions I have tried to date.

I might be reading this wrong:

but it seems to say that the issue is with the installation medium.

My laptop has not Secure Boot or Fast Boot options in BIOS

I tried different media, but the result is the same

You mean by that an older ISO? Of course that will create another problem when updating, but i remember having an issue with the GRUB from 18 to 19 not showing up on an older machine, while the 17 series of the ISO could ...

Forum kindly sponsored by