Can anyone help me to install an extension?

I want to install this Github extension, Fildem, that provides a Global Menu, I’ve watched this tutorial from Linux Scoop but I can’t make it work, I have done the steps againg and again but I don’t know where am I’m going wrong

Did you follow the instruction on the Github page?
What does, ‘…I can’t make it work’ mean? It runs but not properly, or it doesn’t run at all? Are there any error messages in the terminal when executed?

Yes, all of them. I have installed all the dependencies, installed python-pip and fuzzysearch (using pip3), I have done the configurations in files gtkrc-2.0 and gtk-3.0/settings.ini, downloaded Fildem from github, make a copy from the folder in .local/share and .local/share/gnome-shell/extensions, enabled the extension and used alt + f2, r to restart gnome, at this point the extension should be working and I should see a global menu in the top bar, but it not happened. Is there anyway to provide logs about it? I don’t know how to do it

When I go to .local/share/fildem and run ./run.sh there are no error messages, so, it seems that it’s working, but there’s no global menu when I open terminal, or vlc, mysql, intellij, qbittorrent… the menu of the applications are in the same place, not in the topbar as it should be

Maybe journalctl -f (real-time journal entries) could reveal something when you execute it.

I’m not a Gnome user, so I’m thinking of ways that that I know of that could help to trace the problem.

Does it work for any applications? Or no applications at all?

Check State of the apps.

Also you could try disable all other extensions and only enable this particular extension to see if any other extension is causing the issue. (restart gnome-shell or logout/ login after).

It doesn’t work for any application.

This confirms that the extension isn’t working, as some listed applications (such as Gedit and IDE’s Jetbrains) that should work, do not have the menu on the top bar.

Have already tried it too :sob:

It shows me a problem with “appmenu” does that have anything to do with it?

journalctl -f
-- Journal begins at Thu 2021-03-04 23:07:09 -03. --
mar 26 12:03:45 manjaro audit: BPF prog-id=38 op=UNLOAD
mar 26 12:03:45 manjaro audit: BPF prog-id=37 op=UNLOAD
mar 26 12:03:45 manjaro kernel: audit: type=1334 audit(1616771025.218:166): prog-id=38 op=UNLOAD
mar 26 12:03:45 manjaro kernel: audit: type=1334 audit(1616771025.218:167): prog-id=37 op=UNLOAD
mar 26 12:05:06 manjaro /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[1375]: (EE) event20 - SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 35ms, your system is too slow
mar 26 12:06:09 manjaro systemd[1358]: Started Application launched by gnome-shell.
mar 26 12:06:09 manjaro gnome-shell[1503]: Ignored exception from dbus method: Gio.DBusError: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.gonzaarcr.appmenu was not provided by any .service files
mar 26 12:06:09 manjaro systemd[1358]: Started VTE child process 20427 launched by xfce4-terminal process 20416.
mar 26 12:06:09 manjaro gnome-shell[1503]: Ignored exception from dbus method: Gio.DBusError: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.gonzaarcr.appmenu was not provided by any .service files
mar 26 12:06:09 manjaro gnome-shell[1503]: Could not create transient scope for PID 20440: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnixProcessIdUnknown: Process with ID 20440 does not exist.
mar 26 12:07:27 manjaro gnome-shell[1503]: Ignored exception from dbus method: Gio.DBusError: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.gonzaarcr.appmenu was not provided by any .service files

Following this tutorial about how to install it on Ubuntu/Manjaro doens’t work too :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

Your journal seems to be referencing fildem. Are you sure the appmenu dependencies got installed?
Have a look at the issues on Github. There are a couple of entries that provide the same solution, such as this one.

1 Like

@denielt, for clarity, which part worked, checking the dependencies or the link?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.