Triggering pamac-manager from website

Ah ok. Because here’s what I did to test: I created the custom repo and they Syyu. That updated all databases and I could find the packages from my repo in the pamac-manager. Then I added a few more packages to my repo and updated the repo database but could not see these packages in the pamac-manager. Only after I refreshed the database. Now I added more packages to my repo and updated repo database but did not Syyu or refreshed database from pamac-manager and I cannot see any packages from my repo in the pamac-manager. And that’s what I did not understand: if say I add new packages to my repo and I update the repo database with the new packages, are they going to appear in the pamac-manager without me manually refreshing the repositories databases?

Ah right. So for an added package the 2 y’s would be necessary… if there was a simply a change to an already existing package only -Syu would be needed in most cases.
[unless you changed mirrors or the db was broken somehow, or blah blah]
Again - 2 ys forces a db refresh … -Syu only does it if it seems necessary.

Aham ok, so then if I add new packages to my repo is not going to show them up in the pamac-manager unless people manually do Syyu or open the pamac-manager and then click “refresh databases”. This is very good to know since I am making this custom Manjaro for “very normal people” and I don’t want to bother them with the terminal or asking them to manually refresh databases so it is very good to know then :slight_smile: - will change the approach thank you very much!

Just for clarification and to avoid misunderstanding, if I RTFM correctly, in both these cases, a single y is enough. As said, yy is only needed

I thought a lot these days about this. I really love the idea for people to be able to install directly from the website and work fantastic for Manjaro repos or any custom repos. That’s perfect, but not working with AUR properly is still a downside. I understand though that this might not even be a good idea in the first place, so I thought of “how about making it so that it opens the pamac-manager and searches for a querry”?

Like people click a link and opens pmac-manager and searches for a specific set of letters/words? I am thinking to make this easy for people to install from a website :slight_smile: - do you think it is possible to trigger pamac-manager and search for a string?

Thinking of possible solutions :wink:

In terms of refreshing a custom repo I am still wondergin isn’t there any automated way to do this. If I add 10 packages to my custom repo then in time I add more packages, updating the repo database, then shouldn’t say pamac-manager reload the new database that will showcase that there are more packages in that repo? Should users manually do sudo pacman -Syyu anytime I add a new package to the repo?

I think you have to re-create the database yourself. I guess there is a DB with packages info on the repo, which is downloaded with pacman -Sy. I maybe wrong or inaccurate, but I guess you need more RTFM on repos. Have you read Archwiki?

I’ve read some. Please link any that think might be helpful if you can

Custom local repository

Use the repo-add script included with pacman to generate a database for a personal repository. Use repo-add --help for more details on its usage. To add a new package to the database, or to replace the old version of an existing package in the database, run:

$ repo-add */path/to/repo.db.tar.gz /path/to/package-1.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz*

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#Custom_local_repository

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_user_repositories

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Repositories_and_mirrors

Thank you very much!

I’ve read what you sent and I am still not understanding this. So, I am perfectly able to create my own repository, and I know how to update the database when I add or remove packages. But these changes do not propagate to my Manjaro unless you manually do “sudo pacman -Syyu”.

So please correct me if I am wrong: I make my own repository and ask a friend to add it to its pacman.conf. Now, in order for the system to “see” the repository he has to manually upgrade the entire system with “sudo pacman -Syyu”. So far it is ok. However, after 2 weeks I add a new package to my repository and I update the database and upload on the server. My friend already has my repository in his pacman.conf but he does not see my newly added package unless he again does “sudo pacman -Syyu”. If this is how it works then it is not a good solution to make your own repository because you rely on those who use it to basically always check for new packages by “sudo pacman -Syyu”.

I thought that if I update the repo database and upload to the server (thus updating the old database) pamac-manager for example is able to read the new database again and see what’s new to it. Isn’t this similar to how Manjaro repos work?

btw if anyone wants to split this thread I am ok with that. I am still tyring to find a good solution to the original post and this is one solution by making my own repo to make it work with the website trigger, but if this repo is not automatically updated on people’s computers then I find it nearly pointless for my use.

And if anyone here can help me make AUR work in the same way that repositories work to install from a website, we have some 100 Euros from our project and we’ll be happy to pay for the time spent on it. I know is not a lot at all, but we rely on donations to create free tools and I would really love to see this working :smiley: - and of crouse as mentioned above this will be a script that would be put as open source on gitlab. Basically a script that would allow people to install packages from a website via pamac-manager. Manjaro (or custom repos) + AUR.

I hope it is ok that I said I will pay for this - take it as a gift if anyone can help. I can even donate to Manjaro if anyone wishes that. I simply love this idea and I am already working on the website for our custom Manjaro that I will share with you all once is done :slight_smile:

Here are 2 screenshots of the website so far:

EDIT: we will recommend applications on that website that are FOSS and that we test. So that’s why I would love if people could simply click and install any :slight_smile:

Are the packages unique or same as in other sections (core, extra, community)?
They have to be latest than the other repo/sections if they are the same.
To check your repo, include some AUR packages (packaged, not just PKGBUILD), disable AUR and do a normal pacman -Syu.

pamac periodically checks for updates
so no need to do sudo pacman -Syy
you packages added will be shown in pamac if user ever checks it.
and its users choice to install which packages or upgrade system at what time.

They are not in Manjaro’s repos.

That’s what I hoped for but from my tests pamac does not work to update my repo. I have added new packages to my repo, updated the database, uploaded the database to my server, waited for 1 day and then I searched in pamac-manager for the newley added packages and I could not find them. Then did a normal “check for updates” with pamac-manager and still did not update my repos as if pamac-manager still used my old database. That’s where I am baffled - I want to know if this is normal behaviour with custom repos.

Ok I saw some updates in the pamac-manager and updated them and in the process it updated my repo. So I guess it does update eventually, when perhaps there is an update pending or you install a piece of software from it and that triggers full system update. Will keep ane eye on it for sure!

I think there is certain period of time after database synchronization when the local package database is considered up-to-date. So during that time pacman -Syu will not fetch any new information about packages from mirrors, only -Syyu will. But after that timeout local database is considered obsolete, so even just -Syu will synchronize it and get any new data. I’m not sure what exactly that timeout is, probably several hours.

If you want to troubleshoot, use pacman, to narrow down possible factors.
Pamac does not work the same as pacman.

So it is almost a day since I added new packages to my repo and update the database and yet I cannot see the packages in pamac-manager. I would really want to find an answer to this…I want to know if pamac-manager (manjaro system itself) updates these repo databases and how often and how…without this info I am unsure how to approach this “custom repo” thing.