Tried to install Manjaro now I can't get into anything.

I tried to search and find answers myself, but nothing is working.

Use Windows 10 and shrunk the volume to install Manjaro on my SSD alongside win10. (Sda6). After the install it was on a continuous loop, not booting to windows or a bootloader to choose.

So im back on the live USB trying to fix the bootloader.

I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVMgZ9YW6i8 and tried to follow along, but when I get to the grub-install /dev/sda --boot-directory=/mnt/boot

I get this error:

[manjaro-deepin mnt]# grub-install /dev/sda --boot-directory=/mnt/boot
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible.
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

Any help would be great. I mainly just care about getting back into windows at this point because I have some work I need to do. I can't even mount my windows drive which is sda4 i believe.

1 Like

Just to add in my bios it says im on Legacy+Uefi, if that matters at all.

You can try

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

or boot a Windows installer image and use the Repair option.

Just for future reference, random third-party videos and blog posts are not reliable sources.

I tried to follow along on that one too, but i got lost quick. When i shrunk my volume for manjaro i just did 20gig and set the thing as / . Im not sure if that matters or not.

Did you install Manjaro in UEFI or MBR (legacy) mode? Windows 10 is probably installed in UEFI mode so if you installed in legacy mode that is a problem.

You need to familiarize yourself with Windows 10 dual-boot tutorial and also broken bootloader tutorial.

If you cannot follow the step by step instructions and need even more help this thread needs to go to the Newbie forum.

If you are in a hurry, you can go into your BIOS menu (press F2 or DEL while booting). Go to the boot section. Select Windows UEFI bootmgr (or similar) to boot Windows 10 one time.

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply! I'm still having issues after these options:

With your hurry mode i switched it to UEFI bootmanager instead of Legacy+Uefi and still went into the looping startup until it finally brings up thee recovery options.

With the broken bootloader instructions. I was able to get into my manjaro installation through Grub as you instructed, but when I tried the install grub I got the followingL

admin@admin-pc ~]$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible.
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

What can I do from here?

Looks like you didn't boot in UEFI mode - or you installed Manjaro in BIOS/Legacy mode.

Given this is a fresh installation I'd just start over and reinstall Manjaro in UEFI mode.

1 Like

I'll try that now.

As already said, you have installed and/or booted Manjaro in MSDOS Legacy mode.
A confirmation of this would be if you had checked your boot mode, while following the instructions of the tutorial.
One more would be if you had seen Windows in grub or rEFInd menu (if using one of them) .
You should know in what boot mode your Windows is installed. Do you remember?

When I first installed I shrunk my sda4 (windows partition) to free up 20gb then I ran the installer on the partitions I selected Manual - /dev/sda6 (the 20gb drive) and the mount point "/" I didnt tick any of the flags.

Im in the live CD and about to install and overwrite the mode, but I dont see an option for UEFI mode (Sorry im really new!)

From what ive read im pretty sure my bootloader is on sda2 cuz its formatted to Fat32 and thats what some of those things said I needed to format to make my bootloader. Im trying to just stay on topic and follow directions given though.

What should I do at this point? Overwrite the installation with the same information? Do i need to go into BIOS and change the Legacy+Uefi to just UEFI then re-install instead?

You should not format your "bootloader partition", known as $esp partition.
If you did, you have lost your windows bootloader.
Do you know if Windows was on UEFI? It might be, but not always the case.
Depending on your info, we could advise what options you have..

I would assume it was, but I have no idea.I built the pc myself and just installed windows as standard. The motherboard is MSI, and I never messed with the settings. I think its always bbeen on Legacy+Uefi or whatever mode.

Do you mean i need to go to bios and remove legacy+uefi and just put uefi then try to install over the same partition?

In Live ISO, start a terminal app and run these and post

efibootmgr -v
fdisk -l

[manjaro@manjaro-deepin ~]$ efibootmgr -v
EFI variables are not supported on this system.
[manjaro@manjaro-deepin ~]$ fdisk -l
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop0: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop1: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop2: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop3: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdb: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sda: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdc: Permission denied
[manjaro@manjaro-deepin ~]$

You have booted in BIOS Legacy.
Run the other command with sudo

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sdb1 2048 1953523711 1953521664 931.5G Microsoft basic data

Disk /dev/sda: 232.9 GiB, 250059350016 bytes, 488397168 sectors
Disk model: Samsung SSD 850
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 63FXD24C-165C-4DF5-9A2A-745B9268C148

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 2048 923647 921600 450M Windows recovery environment
/dev/sda2 923648 1128447 204800 100M EFI System
/dev/sda3 1128448 1161215 32768 16M Microsoft reserved
/dev/sda4 1161216 442263551 441102336 210.3G Microsoft basic data
/dev/sda5 487415808 488394751 978944 478M Windows recovery environment
/dev/sda6 442263552 487415807 45152256 21.5G Linux filesystem

Have you formated this partition ($esp) and used it with Manjaro?

In order to have a "usual" multiboot with windows and Linux, you should install both on the same boot mode.
Win10 by default (I think, but don't really know) install in UEFI, but it also depends how you installed it.
If windows in UEFI, you should boot Manjaro installer in UEFI too, and then install. Also, when booted Manjaro Live in UEFI, you have the option (in main grub menu) to detect EFI bootloaders. You should use this to see what's your actual situation. Not knowing is not the best tool to move on :wink:

I havee not formatted the $esp.

When I installed windows I just did the normal USB burn disk free thing after building the computer.

What instructions can I do the manjaro Live in UEFI? and to detect the efi bootloaders etc.. Even if i have to take a pass on manjaro on this system I just need to get back into my windows or bootloader working.

If so, then you can check your UEFI BIOS to see the bootloaders recognized. Set Windows as first, if possible. If not possible/available, your other option is booting Manjaro Live ISO in UEFI mode (either install, or not), search for EFI bootloaders (at grub menu).

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark