Laptop HDD sometimes doesn't initialize properly after suspending system

Looking for some help troubleshooting an ongoing issue with the HDD in my laptop. When I suspend and then resume the system, my Hard Drive will sometimes fail to initialize/connect properly. I can tell when this happens because the drive spins constantly and makes a clicking sound every couple of seconds. If I attempt to reboot while in this state, the reboot process will hang indefinitely until I force the system off.

This is a secondary 1TB storage drive, not the boot drive, and it has an EXT4 partition as well as an NTFS partition since I dual boot with Windows. Only the EXT4 partition is automatically mounted via fstab, and the NTFS partition is mounted as needed via the my file manager. The issue described above ONLY seems to occur when the NTFS partition is not actively mounted, and in fact mounting the NTFS partition resolves the issue and allows the drive to connect and spin down.

I believe that this may be a power management issue, and I will mention that I use the laptop-mode utility for this purpose, but I’ve never seen any issues in the laptop mode logs that would tell me where to start. I’m not even really sure where to start troubleshooting this, and any pointers would be appreciated.

Here’s my Neofetch system details, for reference.

Host: 81Y6 Lenovo Legion 5 15IMH05H
Kernel: 5.11.6-1-MANJARO
WM: awesome
CPU: Intel i7-10750H (12) @ 2.600GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics
Memory: 7825MiB