TP-Link AX3000 wireless adapter is crashing router firmware

Wireless adapter: [TP-Link wireless AX 3000 (ax200 chipset) with bluetooth 5.1] (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X462KRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Router: Asus AC86u running aswrt-merlin RT-AC86U_386.3_2

Running Manjaro 21.1 (fresh install). I have tried the LTS kernel as well as the latest non-experimental kernel but neither of those worked either.

When first booting up Manjaro after logging into my account it attempts to autoconnect to my wifi but then crashes the router. Following that it may crash a second or third time before finally allowing me to connect to the router without it crashing. After that if I manually disconnect and reconnected it doesn’t crash the router. It only happens after a reboot. I have also tried not automatically connecting to wifi on login but it crashes the router then as well once I try to connect manually.

(no issues on windows)

I have never heard of a router crash when a client connects.

Are you sure about that? I mean - english is not everybodys first language - and it could be you mean the connection.

1 Like

Nope completely serious about the router crashing. The entire house goes down when my computer powers on and I log in. The uptime in the router setup page shows < 1 minute uptime once I connect and check. English is my first/only language.

I realize that it’s a very strange situation. I never would have thought it possible either until I saw it. Router is fine at all other times. It’s had uptime for over a week (I typically reboot it once a week) on the router with no issues but that connection crashes it even if it’s only been up 5 minutes.

Sorry - but I had to ask :slight_smile:

Linux is not Windows - so the statement no issues on windows is useless - at least in my opinion.

I have checked your info

• AX3000 is not an Intel product but from the TP-Link vendor
  • Your router is running a 3rd party firmware

This makes it more difficult to troubleshoot and as this is a very rare issue - every comment will be guesswork.

I suggest you talk to the developers of the mentioned firmware.

I don’t know what the issue is but you could be having an issue with the frequency table.

Try changing the channel(s) used by the router.

Also try searching the forum for topics related to the Intel AX200 but don’t get your hopes up as TP-Link may have made changes to the implementation of the chipset.

This doesn’t sound like a Manjaro issue. It might be better to ask on SNBForums to see if they would know better what would be causing the issue because the issue sounds more directed to the router firmware itself, not the desktop OS.

• AX3000 is not an Intel product but from the TP-Link vendor

Sorry about the product confusion.

Your router is running a 3rd party firmware This makes it more difficult to troubleshoot and as this is a very rare issue - every comment will be guesswork.

It’s true, I knew it was going to be an issue where it would be hard to determine where the real issue is.

I suggest you talk to the developers of the mentioned firmware.
I don’t know what the issue is but you could be having an issue with the frequency table.
Try changing the channel(s) used by the router.
Also try searching the forum for topics related to the Intel AX200 but don’t get your hopes up as TP-Link may have made changes to the implementation of the chipset.

I will give these a try and see if anything helps. I have searched for ax200 issues and one mentioned turning off the AX functionality and only allow AC or turn of ipv6. I have tried the ipv6 but not sure how to turn off AX (my understanding is AX allows 160Mhz width). Currently the router is running on channel 48 80Mhz width. One thing I have noticed is that the Rx rate is pretty low compared to the Tx rate. Other devices on the network have higher values that are further away, but could be hardware differences I suppose.

This doesn’t sound like a Manjaro issue. It might be better to ask on SNBForums to see if they would know better what would be causing the issue because the issue sounds more directed to the router firmware itself, not the desktop OS.

Ya, I thought that might be the case to ask SNB forums. I was thinking since it has no issues unless I boot Manjaro instead of Windows on by dual boot system that it would be related to the OS. I can certainly see what they say over there though.

The only thing I could possibly think of is that the driver or network manager is sending a signal in some different way on Linux than Windows, that is causing the firmware on the router to act up. But that would be a bug on the firmware, that the Asuswrt-Merlin team would have to fix on their end.