Tool for system image?

I am really not sure if is a tool for system image what i want because i never did it that way.
I plan to install Manjaro on another laptop with all the apps and definitions (specially the context menus customization on Dolphin) that i have here, without going through the selective install/costumization process all over again.

Clonezilla will do what you want. Alternatively, Rescuzilla(GUI) is an option. qt-fsarchiver is another choice (Ubuntu based Live DVD).

https://rescuezilla.com/

https://clonezilla.org/

3 Likes

Can I make image backup the running system by clonezilla?

I have never tried. I always use these as Live DVD via Ventoy. Clonezilla works fine for me, but I generally only image my home and system. I have had to chroot and restore grub when using this on occasion. Seldomly used here. I have images made with qt-fsarchiver and they imaged successfully, but I have not had a reason to restore lately. Messing with the system to test that out is not my idea of a fun day…

2 Likes

Unless both systems have:

• No proprietary drivers (None, aucun, Gien enkel, ninguém, ни один!!!)
    OR
  • similar hardware (E.G Dell XPS 13 intel GPU → Dell XPS 15 intel GPU)

The following kind of Cold System Backup:

will not boot on another machine.

But you can still install a minimal bootable version of Manjaro on the new computer and then restore the parts that do not interfere in the boot process to the new computer.

:warning: You do need to know a lot about the UEFI / Linux boot process to know where and what to include/exclude.

• I.E. if your fstab includes separate mounts for /, /boot, /opt, /usr/, /usr/local, /var and /home, you’re in pretty good shape…
  • If you don’t know what the above even means: reinstall and don’t restore your / but restore your /home only and do any customisations that would not have been carried over again…
  • If you don’t even have / and /home separated, you need a mighty amount of luck to pull that off. :sob:

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

No, it must be done via the live USB. However, you can make system backups with TimeShift while the system is running. I’ve used both to restore systems with perfect results.

1 Like