Hello. I’m new to Manjaro and I ran into an issue I just cound’t figure out by browsing forums.
I’m connecting to a TP-Link TL-WR840N wireless router with a TL-WN722N (v2) USB receiver (rtl8188eus chipset). So far I had no issues whatsoever (on Windows 10).
I installed Manjaro a few days ago and started setting up my work environment, but now I’m losing the wifi signal every other minute or so, which cripples my Internet access.
I was first suspecting the USB receiver driver to be the culprit, but then I tried connecting to a HUAWEI LTE mobile router, and apparently, I have no stability issues with that. So I started to suspect the router, but on my other devices, I don’t have that signal problems with my TP-Link router.
So I stand clueless. How to troubleshoot this issue? As far as I remember, the system was working properly until maybe 2 days ago, maybe I was installing things that broke it? I can list the things I installed if that helps. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I’ve tried installing the dkms package from the AUR before I asked the question on the forum, and I also figured out I had to install headers first. But the device simply stops working on reboot, it doesn’t even show up with inxi and the module is not loaded automatically (doesn’t show in lsmod). I can load the 8188eu module with modprobe but nothing happens, I still cannot interact with the device.
(I’m still very noob with terminal commands, so please bear with me )
Just to let you know, I did all I could on the router’s part (firmware update, positioning, IPv6 off etc.) and to no avail. Maybe it’s the USB receiver, but then it puzzles me why I still get a perfect connection with my mobile wifi router…
I already had the recommended encryption set which has been working on all my devices so far, including linux desktops (laptops). QOS, as far as I understand is a load regulator/balancer, but my issues had nothing to do with load, they persisted with a simple no-load connection (e.g. just pinging).
Tried that. Now I don’t have any wireless devices.
I have a blacklist.conf file for
r8188eu (without blacklist)
All these files contain a single line with blacklist modulename
[update] I checked the receiver dongle on my laptop with another linux (Linux Mint 19.1) and the problem is the same as in Manjaro. The onboard wifi of my laptop has no issue with my network. So that confirms that the problem lies with the r8188eu module.
I’m sure you probably know this, but you can’t have both 8188eu and r8188eu blacklisted at the same time. It’s a one or the other kind of situation depending on which driver you’re attempting to use.
Also put your IPv6 settings back to “allow” if they gave no improvement.
Have you tried any other live boot disks to see if they work with your adapter. Compare the modules and settings they are using if another distro works better. Perhaps try this Lxqt spin, as it uses connman instead of Network Manager. That will at least tell you if that’s where your issue is coming from.
Test a live image of Manjarowish-LXQT-Kwin-Edition:
I will try that in the weekend, thanks. FYI, I successfully installed an 8188eu kernel module which was recently built (not for Manjaro specifically). It was operating the same way as the prebuilt r8188eu, meaning it drops the signal regularly.
Please be sure to give us an update on how those options worked out for you. I can’t remember recommending that combination of options before. It would be nice to know if they were a big improvement, so I’ll know to recommend that in the future.