Timeshift restore failed and I'm clueless

During a routine rollback my machine hung for like 20 minutes. All ttys where blocked an no sign of processing was going. I rebooted it and of course the system did not boot properly. I did chroot on it. And tried to run timeshift again with no luck. The system does not find the backups on the partition of the external hd despite the fact they are there.

Pacman and other applications are working normally and I’m considering running:
sudo pacman -Syu $(pacman -Qqen)

So reinstall everything and see if the machine manages do boot again. I already did backup my data. Is it a good idea?

That’s one way to do it. Another way is to chroot and inspect the journal to see exactly why it isn’t booting.

Instead of chroot what happens if you boot into a live usb and install/launch timeshift from the live session? Does it find your backups then?

1 Like

Yes! What should I do now?

Can you restore your backup to the correct disk/partition/partitions? As long as timeshift is finding your backup and you restore it to the correct destination then everything should be ok

3 Likes

It did work!

1 Like

Great news :+1::+1::+1:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.