TigerVNC Server setup fails

I tried to setup a VNC-server on my local server , following tigervnc on archlinux.
What I did:
pamac install tigervnc
I did not edit the file /etc/tigervnc/vncserver.users because I did not know the syntax.
I did vi ~/.vnc/config

securitytypes=vncauth,tlsvnc
    desktop=sandbox
    geometry=1200x700
    dpi=96
    localhost
    alwaysshared

Starting the server via systemctl start vncserver@:1 gave

Job for vncserver@:1.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status vncserver@:1.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

and

systemctl status vncserver@:1.service
Mär 22 19:09:57 ManjaroServer systemd[1]: Starting Remote desktop service (VNC)...
Mär 22 19:09:57 ManjaroServer systemd[9904]: vncserver@:1.service: Failed to determine user credentials: No such process
Mär 22 19:09:57 ManjaroServer systemd[9904]: vncserver@:1.service: Failed at step USER spawning /bin/sh: No such process
Mär 22 19:09:57 ManjaroServer systemd[1]: vncserver@:1.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=217/USER
Mär 22 19:09:57 ManjaroServer systemd[1]: vncserver@:1.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mär 22 19:09:57 ManjaroServer systemd[1]: Failed to start Remote desktop service (VNC).

By the way, I set a password with vncpassword
What am I to do?
It would be nice to have a roadmap / howto to handle such typical problems without having to study into the deepest corners of an archlinux or manjaro linux.

Thank you!

CJC

Hi,

For the vnc I use krfb and krdc, easy to set up and user friendly. start on boot if needed, security…
Sorry, in the past I tried tigervnc without success.
krfb and krdc are cross platform with windows (ultravnc) and android.

1. desktop=sandbox is not a valid entry
  2. configure session= to contain a valid session configured on your system
  3. you need to edit the file /etc/tigervnc/vncserver.users to add a valid user and the screen to connect to.

I took the time to do a quick writeup on how I do it - local and remote

Thank-you, I found it these days. In your how-to you write

$SESSION according to your installation e.g. openbox)
Is this freely configurable like a variable’s name?

I am running into the error message:

Failed to start vncserver@:2.service: Unit vncserver@:2.service has a bad unit file setting.
See system logs and ‘systemctl status vncserver@:2.service’ for details.

systemctl status vncserver@:2.service
Aug 16 12:27:34 ManjaroServer systemd[1]: vncserver@:2.service: Unit configuration has fatal error, unit will not be started.

Any comments?

You need to configure your target e.g. the display to use which could be any display number. The session is a session configured on the target system - which can be anything depending on the target system - openbox is mentioned as a possible value.

You can list available sessions on the target system

ls /usr/share/xsessions