Thunderbird does not start because of missing libvpx.so.5

Updating libvpx to libvpx.so.6 (as part of the update of ffmpeg) breaks Thunderbird 60.5.2, which expects libvpx.so.5. A symlink

ln -s /usr/lib/libvpx.so.6 /usr/lib/libvpx.so.5

fixes the problem.

3 Likes

Had the same issue.
Uninstalled, reinstalled…but there’s no .thunderbird folder in /home anymore?

Ok, after applying the symlink and another reinstall thunderbird working again. Thanks!

The updated libvpx is only on the unstable branch yet your profile says you’re on stable.

This should only affect the unstable branch.

The correct fix is to rebuild Thunderbird (which I’m currently doing).

4 Likes

Thunderbird dos not work.
Waiting or?

sgs@mx Linux 4.20.13-1-MANJARO x86_64 18.0.3 Illyria
~ >>> thunderbird                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/thunderbird/libxul.so:
libvpx.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

[2019-03-06 08:41] [ALPM] upgraded libvpx (1.7.0-1 -> 1.8.0-1)

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/firefox-xpcom-issue-with-libvpx/39939?u=sgs

Firefox and Thunderbird will need a rebuild against the new libvpx version.

1 Like

You can find the solution here Thunderbird does not start because of missing libvpx.so.5

That’s not a solution.

symlinking libraries is never a solution.

Threads merged

1 Like

Sorry was not aware of that, however it did the trick for me to start Thunderbird.

Did the trick to me too.
Thank U !

Will we have to revert later on ? How ?

While the trick works it might create problems later when the updated version hits your computer.

Pacman file conflict

1 Like
~ >>> sudo pacman -S libvpx                                                  [1]
warning: libvpx-1.8.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
~ >>> pacman -Fo /usr/lib/libvpx*                                               
usr/lib/libvpx.so is owned by extra/libvpx 1.7.0-1
1 Like

New Thunderbird build is in unstable.

It follows the Arch PKGBUILD in using the bundled libvpx as it won’t build with the system’s 1.8.0.

3 Likes

I removed the libvpx.so.5 symlink and updated : Thunderbird is OK :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.