Thunderbird crashe when using instant messaging

The thunderbird package from the repository is poorly built.
It crashes when using instant messaging.

[calBackendLoader] Using Thunderbird's builtin libical backend
prpl-gtalk: Error during SRV: Lookup failed

Hello,

I must correct the statement you have made, and I’m not trying to be rude. Thunderbird is a great piece of software. You have not stated what program you have for instant messaging. If it is a third party add-on, Then the problem may be with the add-on and not Thunderbird. Please be more specific when asking for help, such as what add-on you are using.

I realize that many what to blame a piece of software, but usually it is the add-on that is causing a issue, or hardware itself. I did a search on DDG and this is what I found, seems the error you have is not a specific Thunderbird error

http://www.hivmr.com/db/xxsm7pjpkxzmkmjacs7j7k7kx77pjc89

You can also find out more about this here
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Thunderbird/Instant_messaging_in_Thunderbird

If you do a search on your error, You will find that error is present with DE’s, Databases and other programs, it is not specific to Thunderbird as it has some shared libraries that may be causing the issue.

Please post this command and let us know what DE you are using. Also please let us know the following.

inxi -Fxzc0

1. Has this worked before?
  2. What add-on in thunderbird are you using?
  3. If you are using a IM and linking it to Thunderbird, please let us know the name of the IM program?
  4. What version of manjaro are you using and what version is your kernel?

This will help others help you.

They’re prolly using the included one, which I tried once and really found to be a poor product that feels like an after thought, kinda like the developers wanted to add one more feature to the program. Personally I would recommend running IM’s in a separate program.

@ yawanthan

I searched and only found that bugzilla.mozilla

1. Has this worked before?
    Yes before the stable update 2017-07-20
  2. What add-on in thunderbird are you using?
    no add-on
  3. If you are using a IM and linking it to Thunderbird, please let us know the name of the IM program?
    I’m using the built-in thunderbird chat with XMPP protocol
  4. What version of manjaro are you using and what version is your kernel?
[jacotux@Textorm-CH ~]$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=17.1.5
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Hakoila
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"
[jacotux@Textorm-CH ~]$ uname -r
4.14.20-2-MANJARO
[jacotux@Textorm-CH ~]$

I do not think thunderbird is involved.
But building the Mjro package or the dependencies
I tried with another package (ex AUR) and it works

@ Javarod
yes there is pidgin that I use now
but the included version is convenient

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.