Starting any program became very slow

I am running Manjaro for some weeks now.
Since some days it became terribly slow.
Now I am looking for an efficient strategy to find the cause.

uname -a gives me:
Linux rolf51 6.1.31-2-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jun 4 12:31:46 UTC 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

inxi -Cm gives me:
Memory:
System RAM: available: 15.62 GiB used: 4.78 GiB (30.6%)
RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges
required.
CPU:
Info: quad core model: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750GE with Radeon Graphics bits: 64
type: MCP cache: L2: 2 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 3094 min/max: N/A cores: 1: 3094 2: 3094 3: 3094 4: 3094

Some impressions:
Each time I am starting Firefox, it takes 2 minutes.
Each time I am starting any LibreOffice program it takes even longer.
Starting from Thunar with a right click, adds a minute.

Once a program is open, it mostly works as expected. An exception is Thunar or Nautilus. Sometimes when using the back arrow it simply never returns (or takes very very long).

I am running Manjaro in a virtual machine based on VBox Version 7.0.6 r155176 (Qt5.15.2).
The disk Manjaro is running from is 4T flash drive connected via USB-3.2-Gen-2-Typ-C (10GB).

As I am also running ldme 5 in another VM without such delays, I do not believe searching the reason for slowness in the general setup would be successful.

What is the best strategy locating the cause? Please keep in mind I am a user, not a freak.

Congratulations on being the 15’000th member to ask this question since the update of 4 June 2023. :stuck_out_tongue:

Forgive me for being blunt, but the forum does have a search function, with the very clear recommendation to use it before posting. :arrow_down:

The issue itself — and the solution to it — were already mentioned on the update announcement thread itself, in the second post.

This is how we do things here at the Manjaro forum, and considering that Manjaro is a (curated) rolling-release distribution, we sincerely recommend and request that every new member of this forum would subscribe to notifications for the Stable Updates category. Every update comes with a dedicated announcement thread, of which the second post details any potential problems and how to deal with them. :slight_smile:

But I’ll humor you. Here’s the solution. :arrow_down:

3 Likes

Oops - sorry Aragorn - a few days ago I did a search - may be not the best one - and found nothing useful, while reading through the posts for an hour. And today it grow that stressful that I took the time for a forum entry. I should have search again.

Thank you very much, Aragorn, for the solution - it seems to do the trick.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.