Nvidia drivers not working (laptop) (rtx 2080)

Hi, my nvidia drivers have suddenly stopped working. I have not changed anything since last using my drivers apart from changing the kernel once or twice because of me trying to fix another problem. I was using video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime on linux515 before but somehow the drivers broke and they aren’t working.

I tried to install the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime and the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime drivers on 3 different kernels but I have no luck. I tried messing with config files as well but again no luck.

I even completely removed mhwd sudo pacman -Rnsdd mhwd and then reinstalled it but no luck.

Interestingly, the output of nvidia-smi is No devices were found, and output for prime-run glxgears is

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  26
  Current serial number in output stream:  27

Output of nvidia-settings is ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system
This is my 5th time me breaking manjaro this week, and it’s not even like I changed anything at a very low level in a way you’re not supposed to change something…

Current kernel : 5.4.178-1-MANJARO

Thank you

Hello,

You did not properly update the system in quite some time. On all branches the linux54 is at 5.4.181-1 version.

That is a made up by yourself approach to deal with this …

When did you installed those, and how?

Now a new batch of updates came to stable, and for sure you will be in a pickle what to do

But you are already behind and also, just to update the kernel and drivers, is not possible. You will have to do a full system update.

sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && pamac upgrade

Hello, I did a full system upgrade and now I changed my kernel back to linux515 5.15.25-1-MANJARO

The output of my nvidia-smi is NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Also tried with 5.10.102-1-MANJARO. The reason I keep doing this is because earlier when I was installing drivers for nvidia, the drivers only worked with one certain kernel…

Yes, you have to make sure you properly install the driver.

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

In case that does not work properly, do it manually. Probably you will have to run:

sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300 returns

> Using config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime' for device: 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1f15) Display controller nVidia Corporation TU106M [GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile]
> Using config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime' for device: 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:9bc4) Display controller Intel Corporation CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics]
Error: config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime' conflicts with config(s): video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime

Whenever I use the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime drivers, they do at least open in nvidia-settings but prime-run does not work on them.

Remove that first.
sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime

[StaticESC] $ nvidia-smi                                   
No devices were found
[StaticESC] $ prime-run glxgears                          
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  26
  Current serial number in output stream:  27

[StaticESC] $ mhwd -li                                                                                                              
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

You installed also the video-linux … not needed in your case.

Got rid of it, still nothing works.

Have you rebooted since your last changes

yes, I did reboot

@StaticESC - Do this:
sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

So we make sure all the scripts run properly.
Check this

Hmmm…

[StaticESC] $ ls /usr/lib/modprobe.d                                                                                                 
README  bluetooth-usb.conf  nvdimm-security.conf  nvidia-utils.conf  systemd.conf  uvesafb.conf
[StaticESC] $ ls /etc/modprobe.d                                                                                                     
mhwd-gpu.conf
[StaticESC] $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/mhwd-gpu.conf                                                                                      
##
## Generated by mhwd - Manjaro Hardware Detection
##

blacklist nouveau
blacklist ttm
blacklist drm_kms_helper
blacklist drm
options nvidia "NVreg_DynamicPowerManagement=0x02"

is it really that hard to read and follow an advice ? @bogdancovaciu gave you all needed advice for help but if you think you’ll have to play games than it’s up to you. i don’t wonder that you messed up your system several times within some days.

Please read along the other topic. Seems a BIOS update helped in that case …

I read the mentioned post, seems like OP fixed it by rebooting twice…

I tried using the other (video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime) drivers as well, no luck. Perhaps I should try to update my BIOS. But I don’t know if that would help or not because my drivers just happen to be broken suddenly…