I’m trying to use this tutorial:

I tried using:
clonezilla-live-2.7.0-10-amd64.iso
clonezilla-live-20201102-groovy-amd64.iso
Both files’ SHA512SUMS matched.

and after selecting CloneZilla ISO in the grub menu I get:

BOOT FAILED!

This Live System image failed to boot.

Please file a bug against the ‘live-boot’ package or email the Debian Live mailing list at debian-live@lists.debian.org, making sure to note the exact version, name and distribution of the image you were attempting to boot.

The file /boot.log contains some debugging information but booting with the debug command-line parameter will greatly increase its verbosity which is extremely useful when diagnosing issues.

live-boot will now start a shell. The error message was:

Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

BusyBox v1.30.1 (Debian 1:1.30.1-6) built-in shell (ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands

1 Like

According to the latest CloneZilla Docs, the parameters for that ISO file are now:

linux /live-hd/vmlinuz boot=live union=overlay username=user config components quiet noswap nolocales edd=on nomodeset ocs_live_run=\"ocs-live-general\" ocs_live_extra_param=\"\" keyboard-layouts= ocs_live_batch=\"no\" locales= vga=788 ip=frommedia nosplash live-media-path=/live-hd bootfrom=/dev/sda4 toram=live,syslinux,EFI
initrd /live-hd/initrd.img

(I’m trying it out myself now, but you could do the same and report back in parallel)

The parameters as stated in the tutorial still work for clonezilla-live-2.7.0-10-amd64.iso

• Typo?
  • You downloaded the .zip file instead of the .iso file

:thinking:

typo?

This is a copy/paste of my pre 11/26/2020 /etc/grub.d/40_custom

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "CloneZilla ISO" {
  # The string between " and " below is the actual name of the ISO file you just do>
  # and copied to the /opt directory (where optional software resides) and is the c>
  # version as of the last edit to this [HowTo].
  set ISOFile="/opt/clonezilla-live-20201102-groovy-amd64.iso"
  loopback loop ($root)$ISOFile
  linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live components config findiso=$ISOFile ip=frommedia toram=filesystem.squashfs union=overlay
  initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
}

You downloaded the .zip file instead of the .iso file

I just checked again what’s in my /opt/ and I have:
clonezilla-live-20201102-groovy-amd64.iso
clonezilla-live-2.7.0-10-amd64.iso

My boot partition is encrypted with LUKS. My /opt/ directory is in my boot drive. I enter my LUKS password at boot, hold shift to bring up the grub menu, and then select CloneZilla ISO to be booted.
Is it possible that my LUKS encrypted boot drive might be preventing me from using the CloneZilla isos in /opt/ even though they should be decrypted at boot?

but you could do the same and report back in parallel

Now a copy/paste of my current /etc/grub.d/40_custom is:

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "CloneZilla ISO" {
  # The string between " and " below is the actual name of the ISO file you just downloaded
  # and copied to the /opt directory (where optional software resides) and is the current
  # version as of the last edit to this [HowTo].
  set ISOFile="/opt/clonezilla-live-2.7.0-10-amd64.iso"
  loopback loop ($root)$ISOFile
  linux /live-hd/vmlinuz boot=live union=overlay username=user config components quiet noswap nolocales edd=on nomodeset ocs_live_run=\"ocs-live-general\" ocs_live_extra_param=\"\" keyboard-layouts= ocs_live_batch=\"no\" locales= vga=788 ip=frommedia nosplash live-media-path=/live-hd bootfrom=/dev/sda4 toram=live,syslinux,EFI
  initrd /live-hd/initrd.img
}

Ran sudo update-grub:

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64-fallback.img
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

Rebooted and selected CloneZilla ISO from the grub menu and I got:

error: file '/live-hd/vmlinuz' not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue..

Then I get sent back to the grub menu.

I’m guessing I should merge your original parameters to the latest parameters:

linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live components config findiso=$ISOFile ip=frommedia toram=filesystem.squashfs union=overlay

My guess of the merged parameters:

linux (loop)/live-hd/vmlinuz boot=live union=overlay username=user config findiso=$ISOFile ip=frommedia components quiet noswap nolocales edd=on nomodeset ocs_live_run=“ocs-live-general” ocs_live_extra_param="" keyboard-layouts= ocs_live_batch=“no” locales= vga=788 ip=frommedia nosplash live-media-path=/live-hd bootfrom=/dev/sda4 toram=live,syslinux,EFI

Should

toram=live,syslinux,EFI

be replaced with your?

toram=filesystem.squashfs

I’ve never tried that, so I don’t know…

No it shouldn’t: the newest download just works with the old parameters on my system…

So I would say at this point: Can you try booting from an unencrypted USB stick with Manjaro installed (so not a live USB) and the CloneZilla ISO?

:thinking:

This is what happens in sequence: (IMHO)

1. Grub first decrypts your boot partition to be able to read it’s contents and access the kernel and ramdisk to boot.
  2. The kernel plus ramdisk are loaded into memory.
  3. The kernel and ramdisk (from memory) is executed, which in turn need to decrypt the boot partition again.
  4. The special grub scripts that mount the iso are run, and then do a second boot of whatever the iso has.
    (TBH, i don’t really know how the iso stuff of grub works as i don’t use grub)

That’s why boot-loaders like sd-boot need the kernel and ramdisk to be in the ESP (non-encrypted filesystem).
My educated guess is thus that CloneZilla is unable to access the rest of your ISO which is stored inside an encrypted filesystem.
(Unless the ramdisk used in that ISO also has LUKS decryption support)

Maybe try to put your iso in the unencrypted ESP and see if that fixes it.

But i think it is time for you to create a separate topic for this, because it is derailing the Original Title :wink:

It’s been split off now. :innocent: (And thanks for the reply)

Fair bit of warning @mangiarolinux : Your ESP must be big enough to incorporate a 300MB ISO before you follow @TriMoon 's advice (check before copying the file there!)

:+1:

Can you try booting from an unencrypted USB stick with Manjaro installed (so not a live USB ) and the CloneZilla ISO?

I think a decent substitute of what you are asking is to try to do it on a 2nd computer running an unencrypted installation of Manjaro.
I just tested your original instructions on my HTPC and it worked fine. It looks like @TriMoon is probably correct as to why it’s not working on my main computer.

Maybe try to put your iso in the unencrypted ESP and see if that fixes it.

My main computer is where I would like to have the grub Clonezilla and it has an ESP size of exactly 300 MiB and it has 299 MiB of free space. clonezilla-live-2.7.0-10-amd64.iso is exactly 300 MiB :disappointed:
This article gives instructions on how to resize the ESP but I’m concerned about the process causing mini corruptions of non-system files which will progressively get worse and then I’ll end up having to do a fresh OS install.
Next time I do a fresh OS install I’ll make a 1GB ESP partition and test your CloneZilla grub QoL solution.

That’s not how things work. Either it’ll work or it won’t (and the latter is why you need to do a System backup) so:

That’s a good idea. Make a system backup using a bootable CloneZilla USB stick in the meantime…

:+1: