Third Point-Release of Fringilla online now

stable
release

Hi Community,

Our current stable install medias seem to be a great releases of Manjaro Fringilla so far. However we added some new features and updates which gave us the reason to do respins of our XFCE and KDE editions. We updated not only our kernel and the desktop environments to the latest available releases, we also added the final 13.0.1 Mesa-Stack and upped some of our libraries. Also our graphical installer Calamares got some additional enhancements and should now properly warn on false prepared luks setups. We also fixed the issue to now be able installing free drivers on target.

So, please let us know what you think about this release.

Changes in KDE edition

• KDE Plasma 5.8.4
  • updated gstreamer-stack
  • updated gtk3
  • updated thunderbird
  • updated protobuffer

Changes in XFCE edition

• updated gstreamer-stack
  • updated gtk3
  • updated thunderbird
  • updated protobuffer
  • updated vertex maia theme

Changes in Calamares Installer

• fixed a path handling issue which could sometimes occur when reusing an existing EFI system partition;
  • fixes and reliability improvements for the internet connection check in the welcome module;
  • fixed GRUB deployment with 32-bit UEFI firmware (note: this also affects some 64-bit systems which ship a 32-bit UEFI firmware);
  • fixed operating system detection for automatic dual boot setup in GRUB;
  • added Btrfs subvolumes setup for @ and @home in automated install modes (note: manual partitioning still doesn’t support Btrfs subvolumes, as this requires further work in both KPMcore and Calamares);
  • fixed a security issue which could happen when using manual partitioning to set up a system with an encrypted root partition, but with an unencrypted separate /boot partition.

kind regards, Philip Müller and the Manjaro Development Team

Links

[SOLVED] New to Manjaro <3 but full disk encryption somewhat buggs me

Well Done! You guys are really turning out some great releases.
Downed the .2 release and installed couple of days ago. As Antergos & Neon didn’t quite cut it for me.
Minor issue with the .2 release with Wifi and Kwallet issue.
Had to re-install and disable kwallet before making connection.

Otherwise a great series! Think I’ll stay awhile.

I’m on Manjaro KDE 16.10.1, is it possible to update to 16.10.3 from there without reinstalling the whole distribution?

Thanks in advance.

Just do a pacman -Syyu and you’ll always be up to date.

I keep doing it over and over again, still stuck on 16.10.1. Even after refreshing the mirrors with sudo pacman-mirrors -g

I’m at 16.10.1 as well

Sorry I told you the wrong package, the right one is manjaro-release. But according to mine, I’m on 16.10.1 too but I suppose this is just an aesthetical thing, we’re all up to date.

That’s right, screenfetch says that I’m on 16.10.1 also after installing manjaro-welcome which was updated earlier this morning,

On my end screenfetch says “Manjaro 16.10 Fringilla”. It’s just an aesthetical thing I guess. If you did a pacman -Syyu you’re up to date.

Thanks @Fpks for your help. Sure it is aesthethical issue, after all we’re using a rolling release development model and this things could happen.

Any estimation for the torrent? Happy to help seed :slight_smile:

The torrents for this release can be found here:
https://manjaro.org/get-manjaro/

The main release version is 16.10 and normally that one will show on a regularly updated system. (That’s what it says on mine, too: 16.10, even though I’m on unstable ;)) It will only switch to 17.0 with the next major release version.
Your install has just apparently been installed from a 16.10.1 ISO and that’s why its version is currently set to that value (because when the ISO gets built the tools set release version to whatever the builder has configured for his build).
So, in any case: Nothing to worry about! Your system is up to date! :smiley:

[Solved] Upgrade Manjaro

Thanks for the explanation @Oberon, everything is much clearer now. Glad to know that my beloved Manjaro KDE is up to date.

Keep up the great work. We will always be enjoying the simplicity.

Nope, the torrents are still at 16.10.2 and not 16.10.3. So we still need to wait for the maintainer to get them up.

Torrents for this release is now online!

The reason it took some time, this time around, was that I don’t really plan on doing torrents for every stable update, so just had to get confirmation from Phil about the reasons for all the point releases for 16.10 so far.

Good point. The fact that there is demand for them suggests Manjaro is growing rapidly and new users are arriving every day. Either that or people don’t understand the reason for a rolling release and resort to a fresh install way too often.

Unless this task can be totally automated so you don’t have to do it every time, It would seem that torrents could be generated no more than quarterly, (or after any major breakage was fixed) and people could be expected to roll to current.

I’ve downloaded torrents of Manjaro versions that I don’t even use just to seed them. But quite frankly, unless its xfce or kde they never reach sharing parity in a week of seeding.

I am new to Manjaro, hence this question:
screenfetch tells me I am on Manjaro 16.10.
There are no updates waiting, does that automatically mean I am up-to-date with the new release, or do I need to install this new release to be really up-to-date?

You are fine. Look post 13.

Manjaro is currently on version v16.10, as this was the original release. If you used a point release, like v16.10.3, only that install media will have the extra number. To be sure that you have the latest packages you can issue sudo pacman -Syu. Depending on the branch you’re using, you may get newer packages. stable branch get updates most likely on weekly basis. On testing or unstable you may get updates daily.