The upcoming Firefox 80 with VAAPI support; already available from ALA

Ah. You are on stable where glibc is at 2.31
I’m on testing where it is at 2.32 already. Hence FF is ok here…

So when on stable the FF from unstable won’t work.

1 Like

Maybe I’ll try to temporary switch to testing branch, we’ll see :slight_smile:

cat /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf | grep Branch
## Branch Pacman should use (stable, testing, unstable)
Branch = testing

Here we go :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ouch… I tested the CPU usage on Prime Video (Amazon) and, furthermore the fact that there the videos witch I play are almost SD instead of HD, the cpu usage is high as before: I got low cpu usage on Youtube and on Vimeo; I guess that Prime Video relies on different video codec, instead of the plain h264.

oh and a bibata cursor no less.

EDIT - pst @D.Dave … just to mention it because the original post is on the old forum … but we do have a ‘manjaro color’ bibata too (though they were modeled for adapta)…

But I have recently switched to Volantes (maybe we can clone/edit that one too…)

1 Like

Yeah, it looks fine; however, since I have vision problems, I prefer the orange version, where I have a very dark theme on Manjaro Xfce :slight_smile:

Sorry for the offtopic.

I’m using it already on the testing branch and one thing I encountered using the new version with the tweaks and all is that as soon as I open FF with the environmental variable about:support shows Webrender and WebGL as disabled, but it’s still faster than actually having them disabled in about:config. Has anyone seen that behavior?

Also if I don’t run with the environmental variable the program gets all laggy with animations in general, specially when scrolling through any page.

To have WebGL enabled, you have to set webgl.force-enabled in about:config; to have Webrender enabled, you have to set gfx.webrender.all to true; in my case, however, WebRender give me better performances than WebGL
(My system: Ivy Bridge - Intel Core i5-3210M, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2)

Here, at least with WebRender enabled I don’t see any lags when scrolling, despite the fact that scrolling in firefox, also if is smooth - for me - take a lot of cpu usage. Can you check the CPU usage (using HTOP) while scrolling?

That was the only one I didn’t have checked, but before running FF with MOZ_X11_EGL=1 I had everything seemingly ok, with all the Driver and Driver Extensions info, now WebGL just shows as

WebGL creation failed:
*tryNativeGL
*Exhausted GL driver options.

Also,

• With MOZ_X11_EGL=1:
    System goes from ~15-17% up to ~30-35% in heavy pages like Facebook with Dark Reader on.

• Without MOZ_X11_EGL=1:
    Again, from ~15-17%, but now the system goes really laggy while scrolling and CPU usage goes to 50-65% with usage spikes going up to 80% at some moments in the same pages.

I’ve heard mixed messages about this, but apparently VA-API won’t work on Nvidia proprietary drivers in Firefox?

Tried these, and following the Arch Wiki instructions earlier, and am getting higher CPU utilisation in both cases than with just gfx.webrender.all set as true :thinking:

Seems that nVidia drivers are blacklisted because they doesn’t support DMABUF:

Has anyone encountered sandbox errors when trying to enable VAAPI on X11? I get these errors when playing a VP9 video on YouTube:

Sandbox: seccomp sandbox violation: pid 159185, tid 159209, syscall 64, args 1140872792 1 1974 0 0 1.
Sandbox: seccomp sandbox violation: pid 159185, tid 159209, syscall 64, args 1140872792 1 438 0 0 1.
libva error: /usr/lib/dri/iHD_drv_video.so init failed

This is with an Intel Core i7-1065G7 (Ice Lake with Iris Plus graphics) and kernel 5.8.3.

Just a general question:
While searching the forum, one could get the impression that only very few people are still using Firefox with Manjaro.

Perhaps I have missed something important, and there is another browser that is much better?

To go back to topic: Indeed, Firefox still seems to have problems with hardware acceleration.
With the nvidia-390 driver, stock Firefox only uses basic composition.
The developer and nightly editions of Firefox are able to use OpenGL but there are some display errors when scrolling with the mouse wheel.
It then looks like only a part of the displayed page is following the scroll movement while other parts are unaffected. This results in page display being torn up and becoming unusable after some time.

Firefox update late so use AUR bin or Chrome

That’s what I’m just doing. I use the Firefox Nightly Package from AUR :slight_smile:

1 Like