Manjaro ARM Beta11 with Phosh (PinePhone)

Hello,
After, I believe, the second update on phosh 11 the system hangs at the manjaro login screen with the tiny characters before the numerical pad usually comes up. I haven’t found anyone with similar problems yet. Thanks for any advice or pointers towards resolving this problem.

Hello, can anybody help me?After last update(tuday)

Ηow can i install a program, to change settings, to take a picture, to make a new update?

Was just mentioned recently in this thread: :wink:

Perfect. Thank you very much for the quick response.

lucky you, i don’t even get that!

@Rainer There were a lot of system package replacements and configuration changes between beta 8 and beta 11 that are not reflected in just updating. manjaro arm has been quite a bit more volatile than regular manjaro in that regard. It’d probably be easier to fresh-install than try to wade through the source and make those changes manually.

I can say that after a fresh install of beta 11, features like calls and messages work 100% of the time for me (no missed calls or messages; using verizon).

If you want to test it beforehand, I recommend fresh-installing to a micro-sd card, then booting from that. If everything works the way you need it, you can go through the process of backing up and installing over the original media:

• connect your phone via a jump drive
  • mount the phone partitions in your file manager of choice and copy your profile (/home/manjaro by default)
  • fresh install over original media (use etcher to easily do this with a GUI)
  • restore the parts of your backed up user profile you want to retain (i don’t recommend copying everything, as much of that might be old config)
1 Like

Update feature might only be on the unstable branch for updates. Not sure if you are on it or not but the way to check is to edit /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf and change the following lines.

Branch = arm-stable >> Branch = arm-unstable

Save and do an update
sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

This is generate a new list of mirrors and perform an update. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues.

thanks for the reply. but if i do reinstall phosh 11, can i update or will i run into the same problem. i saw a phosh beta 12 on git hub and installed that figuring there might be some improvements. right now it boots normally.

you might eventually run into the same issue down the line if enough changes are made, but i wouldn’t expect anything in the near term. beta12 should be fine

Thanks for the heads up, weird how the announcement is so late.

i’m ditching phosh beta 12 already, sms didn’t work as on phosh 11 and now we’re back to the disappearing cellular network. i was reasonably happy with phosh 11 until the update that stopped it at login. my question originally was, if i reinstall phosh 11, how can i avoid running into the same login problems. if i remember correctly, the first batch of phosh 11 updates were fine perhaps even useful but i want to avoid downloading the update that fried my system! does anyone know what package was responsible? thanks.

just reinstalled phosh 11, no updates, and i’m seeing the same problems as i did with 12, no incoming messages. i did not have this problem previously with phosh 11. maybe something with my carrier, telus/koodo canada changed!? outgoing calls work on 11.

That is exactly what happened to me, the tiny characters are the console screen, if you have a way to connect a keyboard you could fix this… please see my original post under this thread, and a reply that was made to it.

I did connect a keyboard (I have the convergence dock), but now I have another issue… as I was asked to change my default password at the prompt (no idea why, never had this before…) I mistakenly typed a password with a non-numerical character in it! now I need to get a way around this… frustrating, I’d rather avoid a full re-flash if possible

After being prompted to change my password, and mistakenly entering a pwd that contains a non-numeric character (it was a bit confusing since I was using an external keyboard and screen through the convergence dock…forgot about the only-numeric constrain), I now can not login to the PinePhone using the unlock pad screen.

is it possible to connect using UART in order to login with a keyboard?

so… after succeeding in changing my password back to numerals only, and being able to use my PinePhone again, answering my own question for the benefits of others:

If you by mistake have changed your phone password to one which contain non-numeral characters and are now unable to unlock your screen from the UI

1. You must have the USB-Serial cable to connect via UART, the same cable like in the following link https://pine64.com/product/pinebook-pinephone-pinetab-serial-console
  2. I have used this guide on how to connect via UART if you are a linux user on your normal pc / laptop: PinePhone UART
  3. Once you connect to your phone via UART, you can login to your phone using your user and password using a traditional keyboard - then change your password to a numeric password using passwd
  4. problem should be solved

Sorry for the late reply, but since you already have an external keyboard connected, you could just drop to a TTY at the login screen with Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or another F key; F7 gets you back to Phosh I think). There you’ll have a text based login and you can login and change your password with your keyboard. No need for UART in that case.

@kqlnut thanks! a bit late but very good information, will must likely help me in the next time, or some other people :slight_smile:

a little update, I have just noticed a straight line of vertical “dead” pixels on my screen, it did not exist before a few hours ago… I have no idea if this is software related or did the screen got messed up from the USB-Serial cable connection or the latest software update… frustrating

@kern707 I’m having five of six lines of dead pixels, vertical, in the center of the screen. One red, two or three blue and two separate green lines. It looks like a big blue line from a distance. I guess it’s a hardware issue. It started about two months ago with one line. About four weeks ago the other lines of dead pixels appeared. I did had an issue with dirt in the USB slot then, and the connector doesn’t always work for charging. Turning the plug 180 degrees helps, or using a little bit of force. I too suspected the USB connector.

I was able to “work around” the issue with login prompt in terminal after the upgrade. I wrote down the procedure into my GH repository, see here if you are interested.