The system booted to the text-only login after removing orphan packages

Not sure what happened. I upgraded and removed orphaned packages. The add/remove software asked for an upgrade, and upon reboot, the system booted to the text-only login.

I could start X with startx, and I managed to discover that gdm package was gone. I reinstalled it and all seems normal now, but it was quite scary…

> inxi                                                             ✔ 
CPU: 8-core AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics (-MT MCP-)
speed/min/max: 1382/1200/4679 MHz Kernel: 6.4.9-1-MANJARO x86_64 Up: 4m
Mem: 3.8/30.78 GiB (12.4%) Storage: 3.64 TiB (35.4% used) Procs: 421
Shell: Zsh inxi: 3.3.29

If I can give more info, please ask. Notice that some of the “the graphical interface has disappeared” could be related to this…

Once upon a time, Manjaro had many meta-packages for system stuff, that installed necessary stuff as dependencies to them. Those meta-packages got removed and replaced with groups for whatever reason, leaving some important stuff as “orphans”.

2 Likes

Yep, I supposed something similar. Is there any place with a log of the removed orphans so that I can check if I removed something vital in the process?
Thanks

The log is in /var/log/pacman.log

1 Like

It might be easier to simply boot into a live environment, chroot into our installation, and run a full sync again…

Thanks. jupyter-nootebook was gone too. I’ll be more careful in the future…

1 Like

It might be easier to simply boot into a live environment, chroot into our installation, and run a full sync again…

Hmmm. Were I can find the instruction for that? Now the package manager is happy… I am new to Manjaro; coming from Ubuntu — but I started with Linux a bit of time ago, around 1992, with Slackware… so I can manage shell prompt.

one kind soul created this tool mapare ( Manjaro Package Restore) for exactly this situation.

2 Likes

Interesting. Is it possible to use it to just list the missing packages? (You know, when you get burned, even cold water seems dangerous…)

yes. ./mapare -i -p
you can check other options with -h

it’s even my preferred method of use of this tool, because I have replaced many parts myself and don’t want to install them back using this tool. like ufw/gufw with firewalld; pulseaudio with pipewire; vi with vim; etc. just to check once in a while what packages I am missing from the “default” current installation package selection. also removed some of the default installed stuff that I don’t want at all into my system, like intel-ucode (because AMD), memtest86+ (because I use uefi), grub-btrfs (because not using btrfs)…

1 Like

Ah, thanks. That’s ok. I for example have

exfatprogs 1.2.1-1
intel-ucode 20230808-1
memtest86+-efi 6.20-1
ttf-inconsolata 1:3.000-3
gnome-tour 44.0-2
totem 43.0-2
gnome-shell-maia 44.3-1
kvantum 1.0.10-1
kvantum-manjaro 0.13.5+5+g0179d45-1
qt5ct 1.7-1
qt6ct 0.8-6
manjaro-browser-settings 20220522-1

I have doubt about intel-ucode for example; I am on a Ryzen machine so I suspect that’s correctly not installed. Investigating…

it just gives you the list of missing packages from your current installation compared to the “current default” being installed by fresh install. “current default” usually changes in time; also most probably you have yourself removed or replaced some stuff that you didn’t need…

1 Like

Theres a number of packages that are provided with the images that are not necessary for every system.
The ucodes are an example - both intel and amd are included so that either is used in either case.
Or any number of video packages - this intel system for example had xf86-video-nouveau, xf86-video-amdgpu, xf86-video-ati included.
As also mentioned theres just things you simply may have wanted to remove - manjaro-browser-settings for example that just runs hooks every browser update to hijack the bookmarks and do some manjaro branding.

Very useful tool this mapare indeed, thank you @cscs.