The State of Desktop Linux 2019

An article by Bryan Lunduke, wherein he writes “A snapshot of the current state of Desktop Linux at the start of 2019—with comparison charts and a roundtable Q&A with the leaders of three top Linux distributions.

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/state-desktop-linux-2019

6 Likes

He missed the fact that Manjaro has support for x32 and ARM trough Jonathon and Strit … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

True, but not well known. :slight_smile:

I wish that Matthew Miller (Red Hat) had spoken more than he did, since Red Hat swings the biggest d*** (like it or not).

1 Like

Well off hand I would say that Linux has been Ready for the Desktop for some time now. You can pretty much live in Linux using FOSS Applications only/mostly depending on your use case. Hell the only time I ever use Windows if I’m using someone else’s computer.

2 Likes

Oh, gawd yeah! Long time.

I enjoyed Lunduke’s ‘memberries’ about his early Linux years, which fairly well matches mine. You had to really want to run Linux in order to do so then. I blew up a CRT monitor trying to configure X11, fer chrissake. :smiley:

4 Likes

I remember those days. Back in late 1998 I read the warning the X config utility put out and checked the CRT manual for the specs before I put in anything. First time I’ve heard of blowing one up back then, didn’t even know it was possible at the time.

1 Like

For the “average” user, - someone who just needs email, the web, and to create textual content, Linux has been ready for the desktop for a good few years.

For everyone else, we’re getting pretty close. Between Steam, DXVK, Proton, and more and more games are now available on Linux, coupled with professional applications becoming more functional. I’d like to think there’s a tipping point, but in all honesty, the platform no longer matters any more in the way that it did. Every major software house out there, from Adobe to Microsoft, are switching to software as a service, regardless of platform. We have yet to see the end-point of that transition… Will Adobe run their suite on the web? Absolutely. Will we have native versions of major application suites? Possibly.

1 Like

I feel that they made a mistake on Download size. OpenSUSE have almost always have the biggest Download size. They keep recommended DVD install over all the rest. 3.6GB For Leap and Tumbleweed is 4.7GB.

This drive me nuts. They need to stop doing this. OO look it another startup ram usage comparison. I’ll like to see combine chart of Startup and 4 hour of usage comparison. This way. It give user a realistic view of ram usage.

1 Like

Linux has been my only desktop OS since 2006. I started with Ubuntu, hopped over to Mint when Ubuntu introduced Unity, then discovered mighty Manjaro’s marvelousness. My wife’s been totally okay with Linux on the desktop, since it goes online, edits documents and prints. My son started gaming with Minecraft on an old Linux laptop a couple of years ago and now has his own Linux game PC running Manjaro and mostly Steam. He’s very happy with Steam’s growing support for Windows-only games on Linux, since now that he’s getting a bit older, he’s starting to want to play those too. However, none of this would have been possible without me being the sysadmin.

As for the Linux desktop, I think ChromeOS already is that. ChromeOS took a major chunk out of the cheapest/netbook segment and has been very successful in the educational market. You may not exactly like the closed nature of ChromeOS, but it basically is a very successful Linux DE.

In fact, I gave my mother in law a Chromebook as a virtually no-maintenance and no-support solution and that has worked out pretty great.

On the other hand, my father rejected Linux because it could not run this utterly crap, never updated, stone-age application that came with his multifunctional and he absolutely needed that to scan, do some basic image manipulation and print. There was just no way he was going to use any other application to do the same tasks.

Returning to traditional Linux distros, the main issue for most people (leaving businesses aside for the moment) imo is bullet proof updates. Google can do this on ChromeOS because they tightly control the hardware too, but we all know from running Manjaro that the user must be a bit more involved with the upkeep of their system than most people will ever want to be. Stable LTS releases like Ubuntu are a better fit for most people because clicking update in the interface has a fairly low disaster rate.

In the end though, it comes down to most people not caring one bit about the technology. They just want to get their thing done with minimum fuss. Get online, watch movies, mail, write, print, game. They don’t care how it works as long as it does and if it doesn’t any more, they want someone nearby to (pretend to) fix it for them. Since most ‘support’ consists of someone knowing just that little more about where to click or what app to download, I don’t see that changing a whole lot in favor of the Linux desktop.

3 Likes

very useful information. Thanks for sharing it.

Well, ‘killed’ is probably a better word, since it didn’t actually explode. I was trying to set the scan rate, IIRC. (mid '90s) But there was a most definite ‘POP!’ as it died. (That’ll teach me to install from a WalnutCreek CDROM!) :smiley: :smiley:

I had to experiment subrosa for awhile afterwards–for like 6 years–due to my wife’s ire. :wink:

regards

1 Like

@c00ter Thank you for sharing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.