The opposite of Manjaro

The opposite of Manjaro
I like trying out new distros, but I realised recently that I was trying distros that were similar to Manjaro. So I decided to do the opposite, I have downloaded some various Debian distros with different DEs.

Do any of you have a favourite Linux distro that is reliably boring [not meant pejoratively].

I would say Centos is probably the opposite of Manjaro if that is what you are looking for. Ultra stable package base, older software(although a new version just came out so it is currently not that old), non-rolling, etc

3 Likes

CentOS v Debian?

Try openSUSE Tumbleweed, see yast.

1 Like

Try out one of the independent Linux distros that aren't based on another distro

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

2 Likes

Wow! Have sequenced the entire genome?

Debian is the furthest from a rolling release I've ever used. The system was very stable and reliable, but I switched because I didn't like the idea of using older software versions.

2 Likes

Very different, try them both.

NixOS is about opposite as you can get. Compared to every linux distro.
https://nixos.org/

4 Likes

It gets updated every year

1 Like

nixos is pretty amazing. I run it on quite a few machines now. However, you need some basic development skills to really make use of it and the learning curve is brutal.

2 Likes

True. I learn some of my basic from playing around with different windows managers. Awesome, xmonad, dwm, and forks of dwm. NixOS was not to bad to get in to. Right now I'm experimenting with zfs install.

1 Like

Intel's Clear Linux will both frustrate and bore in equal measure if you expect to be able to install anything like the range of packages available for manjaro without having to build them first :wink:

On the flip side it is a damn fast and 'clean' distribution. That's why AMD (no joke) use it internally to test new hardware and run performance benchmarks.

3 Likes

zfs on nixos is really well supported. Feel free to pm me if you hit need any help with that.

Tumbleweed is also a rolling release like Manjaro/Arch. I’d say Leap is more of an opposite to Manjaro

I wouldn’t call it boring, it is far from it, but if you install Slackware and do not use the “current” repo and instead stay on 14.2, yeah. It almost never changes. Almost nothing gets updated on the stable repo outside of security patches and Firefox. Amongst other essentials.

Yes, you are right. But Yast is quite unique and different from other distro. Worth to try.

Btrfs + snapper is also amazing. Can browse all changed file and diff between every pacman -S.

EDIT: actually not pacman -S, it's zypper on suse.

1 Like

Yeah and it's really well put together, I like yast and the snapshot system looks good. I'm making this observation from the install I did a couple of days ago. I was pleasantly surprised with it but since it was the first linux distribution I ever tried (back when it was SUSE Linux) I can also see yast is like a Porsche 911. The design is the same but underneath the engineering is vastly improved.

The SUSE Linux manual made an excellent doorstop :wink:

It helps of course to have the financial backing they have and length of development hours so David versus Goliath, the manjaro and of course upstream Arch guys are doing admirably. I'm not taking anything away from them here.

Why not branch out and try BSD? OpenBSD, FreeBSD or NetBSD are the long time flavors on which other BSD distros tend to be based. It's Unix enough to get started, but unlinuxlike enough to present a nice learning curve. And generally changing at a slower or should I say more considered pace.

2 Likes

BSD is always a hit or miss for me. 9 times out of 10. It been a miss. Last time I tried it out. I spent all weekend trying to figure out how to fix audio issue I been having. I even went as far. As to compile FreeBSD kernel. No luck. If the OP is using his computer as a desktop. BSD is not always a good option. It fun to mess around. Since the layout is different from linux. But that about it.

Forum kindly sponsored by