Kernel Missing After Failed Pacman Update

During Pacman updating I suddenly was kicked out of my screen session and taken back to a login. I logged in and tried restarting pacman, not realizing I was dealing with an error, rather than a reboot. It said another pacman process was running. I figured I’d not be able to ever get back to that, and that it often asks me questions, would never finish on its own, so I rebooted. Upon reboot the kernel was gone.

First thing I tried was going into manjaro-chroot from live usb and reinstalling the kernel. However, mhwd-kernel always says there is “no specified target” whenever I use any of the kernel versions listed using “mhwd-kernel --list”.

Running pacman -Syyu says there is nothing to do.

I’m at a loss here. any help is appreciated.

Some output:

[manjaro /]# mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 6.1.30-1-MANJARO (linux61)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux515
[manjaro /]# mhwd-kernel -l
available kernels:
   * linux419
   * linux510
   * linux515
   * linux54
   * linux61
   * linux64
   * linux65
   * linux61-rt
   * linux64-rt
[manjaro /]# mhwd-kernel -i linux515
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                                                                                          145.7 KiB   492 KiB/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                                                                                           8.6 MiB  23.3 MiB/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################] 100%
 community                                                                                                                                      29.0   B   659   B/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                                                                                                      146.8 KiB  3.05 MiB/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################] 100%
error: no targets specified (use -h for help)
[manjaro /]# mhwd-kernel -i linux61 
Error: You can't reinstall your current kernel. Please use 'pacman -Syu' instead to update.
[manjaro /]# mhwd-kernel -i linux65
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                                                                                          145.7 KiB   481 KiB/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                                                                                           8.6 MiB  25.5 MiB/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################] 100%
 community                                                                                                                                      29.0   B   674   B/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                                                                                                      146.8 KiB  3.05 MiB/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################] 100%
error: no targets specified (use -h for help)
[manjaro /]# 

inxi seems to give info about the live disk instead of my system, so if that’s needed I’ll need some help getting it to list information about my real system.

sudo pacman -Syu linux61 linux61-headers linux515 linux515-headers
1 Like

Thank you!

I should really learn how to read, because I’m just noticing the suggestion in the error, which says to use pacman -Syu". Really appreciate you being patient with me.

1 Like

No worries. Happy Linuxing. :penguin:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.