The new silent boot - I dont think it's good to have it as default

Completely agree.

A degree of knowledge is required to run any Linux distro, nobody is pretending otherwise, but once you get a version distro installed and configured it doesn’t change for 6 months … or potentially years if using an LTS release.

All software has bugs of some sort, I feel for the nouveau team though, it is an incredibly difficult and thankless job attempting to reverse engineer an open source video driver without the manufacturer’s involvement at all.

If only nvidia would play ball …

1 Like

I’m with you on this. I will uninstall grub-quiet if that becomes the default and if anybody has any problem with booting with grub-quiet installed, the first thing to a solution is to uninstall it. The complication is how to boot up the OS to uninstall grub-quiet when the person (sigh…‘he’ ok?) cannot boot up in the first place? Crazy, isn’t it?

Anyway, as written here,, if anybody wants a hidden grub, the person can change one parameter in the ‘usual’ or ‘normal’ grub. We don’t need this grub-quiet to have the menu hidden. So why have it?

And never have a GRUB_TIMEOUT=0

Isn’t this convincing enough? Is it necessary to repeat the points so many times in so many places?

2 Likes

Current value for GRUB_TIMEOUT in grub-quiet is 5. That’s a plenty of time to hit Esc key.

Sure. If anybody wants 3, that’s fine too. But never 0. Nobody can be quicker than zero.

1 Like

Live environment, chroot, make necessary changes, reboot, cross fingers.

:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

:grin: I’d rather livecd menu grub, grub-install, boot, grumble, curse, swear.
No need for chroot or fingers crossed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

How to create a boot entry with GRUB for Manjaro LIVECD on secondary drive for quick troubleshooting on boot?

You mean, like this?

1 Like

@ryanmusante
Rechecking the link, I found you had a similar query.
I may be mistaking your point here (again), but if you mean --> can we boot to an working good grub such that if grub screws up for whatever reason?

Then I suggest we just back up a good working grub.cfg.
sudo cp /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.good.cfg

Then if we need to call up this ‘good grub.cfg’,
at any grub prompt,
grub> configfile (hdx,y)/boot/grub/grub.good.cfg

Hope this is what you are asking.
Cheers.

2 Likes

Well the grub iso as well as that are both interesting and useful. I’m also interested in having manjaro, the livecd as an ISO option at the GRUB prompt. There was a clonezilla thread on the same concept.

So, I can select personally for my configuration, 1. boot-to-disk 2. boot-to-livecd 3. boot-to-grml 4. boot-to-initramfs fallback for example.

Although, I would like to run it from RAM {a minimal ISO} like many debian isos have option for so I can do tasks without the drive mounted.

This may be useful for booting iso files, not just booting manjaro iso, but can be used (with different parameters) to boot grml iso (the entry is there, I think), and other distro iso’s.

Boot to fallback? well, just change the initramfs to fallback.initramfs. :grinning:
Boot to disk? uhm… :laughing:
Cheers.

Ahh, yes thanks!

I just inserted that to give context to my explanation.

1 Like

I missed to point out that it is instructed that to use grub-quiet, GRUB_TIMEOUT must be 0.
I tested grub-quiet and there’s no way to get to the menu with timeout=0.
With the exception of setting deprecated (going to be removed) parameters (same as not setting timeout=0) {and is not instructed to be included}.
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=(non-zero value)
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

Just to be technically correct. not nitpicking, I hope.

If there is a Systemd fsck service, it should be enabled by default. I even as someone who would most likely be able to figure out how to enable the systemd fsck service, would not think to check that fsck is enabled when I start my computer, especially if it’s a new 18.0 build

Silent boot is a good thing. As long as we figure out how to put a manjaro logo up for machines that don’t allow for the MFG supplied one to show, maybe put a spinny icon in just to show progress, and make sure we know how to disable it. Hopefully it will also start spilling text if something goes wrong.

Yeah, I want a kitchen appliance that makes a flat white (capocino) and cheesecake when it knows I need it.

It would be a good thing.

As Jon Snow, I know nothing about many things, for example do I need to add systemd hook in order to have systemd-fsck run during boot? Now I don’t have it and see no journal entries regarding checking of root filesystem by this service. If we are in this boat already then it would be nice to know how this should work.

Maybe some of you don’t read the patches applied. From a distro point of view we want to have no scrolling text. Therefore we added the bootsplash approach last year. Lately we managed together with Fedora developers to get the framebuffer holding the vendor logo in cache as long as no text get displayed. This is all kernel side and both available with Linux419.

Next step is to get rid of any unnecessary text display The bootloader does. This is mostly the echo lines or greeting like welcome to Grub. Those are hardcoded and need to be removed.

This is done by Ubuntu, Fedora and other distros.

When you have the menu displayed it might break the experience of a silent bootup.

With the hidden menu feature it will be possible to automatically display the menu as needed.

For example:

• when you have more than one OS installed it get displayed.
  • when your bootup was unsuccessful you will presented with the errors and on reboot you will have a menu
  • when you hold Shift, press escape or F8 it shows

All those features are developed by distro developers to match the need for a desktop oriented OS.

What I really hate to read all the time is issues which there aren’t.

Having not displayed the vendor logo can happen in rare cases. If so we can display a logo thru bootsplash. To create a UI for configure it won’t be a problem.

At some point we will add patches to the grub package we already had added to grub-quiet, however it seems to need more testing.

Our focus is on our hardware like the Spitfire or the Bladebook on which we had tested all features. There it works as as designed.

Every change made will have people dislike it at some point. However, this is a problem of the Linux community in general: blocking a vision they might not totally agree with.

This means we will have partly features added. I’ll take now a closer look at bootsplash, will display the grub menu always, show a logo via bootsplash and transfer to the display manager.

On the Bladebook we will however use the newer technologies as Manjaro will be the only OS anyway.

We will revisit this in 2019 to get the feature to a wider audience.

6 Likes

And is there a way to change kernels or add kernel parameters if issues arise?
What about if there are other OS’s and the user wants to boot these?

I think @philm has answered these questions:

• press Shift or Esc or F8 at boot to show the menu
  • if there are other OS installed it will magically appear at every boot

I don’t need grub-quiet, but I understand why Manjaro team wants to use it.
I’m waiting for a response about filesystem fsck at boot.