The New manjaro.org

Why not replace the “help” entry with “community”?
And add services : repos, packages, lists, etc. to the existing “help” page.
“Status” at the bottom of the page is clearly not a good title.

Referencing :
no thumbnails (Ok, only bad server url) and no page description always the same for all pages?

Theme:

dark color :
top and bottom banners too blue :face_vomiting:

If you can’t unify the different services, it’s going to be even harder on the eyes than it is now. Otherwise, the professional look takes a hit.

But use vuejs (ok, i like) but why use it for this pages ? it’s a big complication that doesn’t seem to add anything (yet).
But, if you vuejs (now) to include (tomorrow) manjaro services with this theme then ok, it makes sense. Otherwise, you’re just replacing one technology stack with another.
before, the site used hugo and it’s even simpler than this framework?

But you and I both know that Manjaro is not the right distribution for such people. That’s why I wrote my essay below… :point_down:

1 Like

something that keeps my eye is the childish wallpaper of the kde-distro that is also visible at the new site. there was a discussion about it in another topic. this childish wallpaper might attract kids but it’s eyeburning.

2 Likes

From a user’s point of view, I really like the new design of the site. You could also say: Manjaro is finally growing up :wink: .

I started using Linux since 2019, and I was complete newbie to Linux.
I was just normal user of Windows OS - but no programming background.

I tried different distros - about 12 in total, and settled with Manjaro within 2 months of hopping.

From my experience, I dare say Manjaro KDE and Linux Mint are both suitable candidates for Windows users.

I agree, but this could of course easily be replaced by a different screenshot, such as one from the download section. :wink:

Ah, that was the one I missed. You see, I’ve been collecting all of the names that we’ve seen our distribution being called here on the forum. So far, we’ve got…

• Manjiro
  • Manjora
  • Monjaro
  • Manajaro
  • Manjro
  • NEW! Manjararo (© @anon77480351)

:crazy_face:

Well, from my experience here at the forum — 5 years and counting in total, 4 years of which as a moderator — I beg to disagree on account of Manjaro.

On account of Mint, sure. But equating Mint to Manjaro would be like equating a Toyota GR Yaris to a McLaren 750S. (And that’s no slant at the GR Yaris, which is a brilliant and very fast little car.)

4 Likes

:sweat_smile:
I am no fan to cars, hence I cannot comprehend what you trying to say.

Anyway, I conveyed my points, and I do not make decision here.

All I can say is that: the new web doesn’t convey any message to regular users, nor display professionalism to enterprise clients.

1 Like

It’s only a prototype. With some sandpaper, a screwdriver, a spanner and a can of oil, @romangg will get there eventually. :wink:

one of them is a good car that runs at every wether, the other one is a notorious case of a repair and maintenance shop.

In this respect, a design like that of Debian would be more helpful …

Well, that depends on how often you like accosting the Nordschleiffe of the Nürburgring… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

U mean Debian homepage?
Personally the layout looks super enlarged.
Though the info is very clear (thanks to the enlargement), it also looks… amateur?

I think there could be 2 different approaches here:
One, present 2 buttons for visitor to choose: User site, or Enterprise site.
Two, a simplified but professional layout which provides equal attention to both users and enterprise segment.

I do not have opinions on colors, themes, fonts, etc, as I think it requires more professional research and opinion, and need to be aligned with what Manjaro wants to portray.

Of course … and that was meant sarcastically … :wink:

It doesn’t work in lynx :frowning:

Also, it’s not easily scrapable (to add the latest torrent automatically).

Sorry all, but due to constraints I cant read all the things.

But I will leave some quick notes on the new page;

• Looks good.

• Its using Nuxt. Which is nice.

• No drop-downs.
    I dont know if this is a deliberate decision or not. But it seems to me that ‘Help’ for example could do with dropdown items.

• The triangle image on the frontpage is very Hyrule (read: ‘Zelda’).
    I see the intention, but maybe another construct would be more apt.

I went with the standard Manjaro green (of course) and then decided to use one other color (the blue) to break it up a little. What color palette would you propose instead? It shouldn’t be more than 2-3 colors though.

I got this graphic from the old website but there it is less prominently displayed. I’m fine with removing it but then we need something else. I need a graphic to drive home the “Arch == Functional but for pros” and “Manjaro == More stable for end users” kind of dichotomy.

The old site is based on Wagtail (Python CMS). Hugo and Nuxt are similarly simple to use I would assume, maybe Hugo a bit more. But I have already some experience with Nuxt, not with Hugo. And I like about learning Nuxt/Vue that you can also use it for other things than static sites.

If we have a dropdown there the “Help” page should be removed, or would you have the dropdown and additional the same 4 options on the Help page?

Do you have an idea of something else to replace it? As said above it should somehow show the difference to Arch and underline Manjaro’s stability promise.

The goal is indeed to stronger emphasize the business aspect. Until now Manjaro isn’t known for that, That’s why the new website speaks a lot about it. I assume most newbies to Manjaro will have heard about Manjaro from some other source though and this source probably talked about Manjaro from as user POV.

For normal users I think the Download and the Help links are the important ones on the website. But if you like to do some user testing with your friends and family and report back what they think, that would be very interesting to me. :smiley: Because here we are all experts and have certain expectations.

current manjaro homepage has one problem: difficult to find forum link.

new manjaro home page: i am not able to find link to forum

This “mobilization” of the web is making it so much harder to use. The design is opposite of what i would call practical with 90% of space used by design elements instead of content.

edit: ok, it’s on the help page.

Could go either way.
If you want more explanation then you can have it on the Help page.
(sometimes this is done on other webpages as well … maybe the Top Menu item is relatively worthless, or not expected to be clicked on, but it will still contain a base or explanatory page if clicked)

Not one I have a full preference for.
Thoughts include something using more ‘construction’ imagery (cranes, building blocks, etc).
Or using image annotation on the Manjaro ‘M’ logo itself (this leg stands for Testing, etc).

But here are a few diagram-like ideas as well.

3 Likes

The new site looks very good. Clean and crisp is how I would describe it.

I feel that these 2 are contracting thoughts.

When you expect newbies (user) to have heard about Manjaro, do u expect newbies (Enterprise) to have heard about Manjaro too?

If they have heard about Manjaro, would they find the new homepage containing useful info to them?
And if they (enterprise newbies) haven’t, why would u expect newbies (user) to have?

Again, I’m not here to judge - how the layout should be, is heavily dependent on what image and message does Manjaro want to portray to newbies and experts (as well as users and enterprises).

Different target groups / audience have different needs and perception.

2 Likes