The NEW definition of Linux on the Manjaro.org homepage

The Linux definition has changed on the new website and, contrary to what is seen on this topic, the old definition is right and the new one is incorrect.

Linux is the name of the kernel powering the GNU system.

No. GNU’s kernel is GNU Hurd. The Linux kernel doesn’t belongs to GNU. Even tho we mostly often use GNU software on desktop Linux distros, GNU and Linux are separate things.

images

It is correct that HURD is The GNU kernel but it is IMO more correct to use what is written now as the HURD kernel is not finished and Linus Thorvalds Linux kernel was chosen because it worked and GNU would not have been if Linux kernel was not used.

If you’re going to insist on this sort of (slightly pedantic) bike-shedding please provide a useful alternative that can replace the current phrase.

I can read the particular phrase as such:

“We use Linux as the kernel powering the GNU operating system”

or if you “simplify” “userland” to “system” then you have the same phrase anyway,

“Linux is the name of the kernel powering the GNU userland”

So - what sentence would fit better?

Thanks Richard.

:slight_smile:

I think the site description is fine. We are trying to explain to new users who don’t care about the “official definition”. Right?

If you’re going to insist on this sort of (slightly pedantic) bike-shedding please provide a useful alternative that can replace the current phrase.

You could use the old one

I can read the particular phrase as such:
“We use Linux as the kernel powering the GNU operating system”

They’re not the same

gnews

https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html

The GNU Hurd is under active development. Because of that, there is no stable version.

https://trisquel.info/en/i-notice-website-refers-trisquel-distribution-gnulinux-and-not-linux-why

Without the irreplaceable software contributed by the GNU project − and even more importantly, the founding ideas of freedom − the system most mistakenly call “Linux” would not exist. It’s that simple.

And one could easily add

So it is the other way around.

But really this picking on minor details.