The "how often does an update break something" survey

Hi there! Motivated by this thread the following survey intends to gather hopefully useful feedback (in numbers) for the fine people preparing and pushing all those fine updates to the different Manjaro branches.

1. Stable branch:

1)a) How “old” is your current stable install?

• less than 6 months
  • between 6 and 12 months
  • between 12 and 24 months
  • older than 24 months

0 voters

1)b) The frequency of the updates is (on average)

• too rare
  • about right
  • too often

0 voters

1)c) The size of the updates is (on average)

• peanuts
  • OK
  • too big

0 voters

1)d) How often have you experienced a regression after an update?

• 0 times
  • 1-2 times
  • 2-4 times
  • 4-10 times
  • more than 10 times [you must be kidding]

0 voters

2. Testing branch
2)a) How “old” is your current testing install?

• less than 6 months
  • between 6 and 12 months
  • between 12 and 24 months
  • older than 24 months

0 voters

2)b) The frequency of the testing updates is (on average)

• too rare
  • about right
  • too often

0 voters

2)c) The size of the testing updates is (on average)

• peanuts
  • OK
  • too big

0 voters

2)d) How often have you experienced a regression after an update?

• 0 times
  • 1-2 times
  • 2-4 times
  • 4-10 times
  • 10-20 times
  • more than 20 times [you must be kidding]

0 voters

To further motivate participation I will be donating 25 ct for each participant of this survey here to Manjaro.

8 Likes

Thank you for this kind offer! Here is a bump to get you out of the Unanswered backwaters. :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Why do some answers feel biased?

3 Likes

Those that participate to the survey are biased too? I prefer to think that all responded honest, and of course if that doesn’t reflect personal experience to others, it might seem “unreal” but biased not so much, only if there is another “projection” going on … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I meant answer options.

2 Likes

The older the installation, the higher this number will be. Thus an old installation with a high number may actually be more successful than a new installation with still a low number of regressions.

I think what you really want to ask is:
1)d) On average, how many updates do you do without any regression?
0-3 updates [a regression with just about every update]
3-6 updates [a regression about every 1-2 months]
6-20 updates [a regression about every 2-6 months]
more than 20 updates [regressions are very rare]

5 Likes

The key part is “after an update”. That isn’t affected by age of installation, only by frequency of updates (that is, older and newer installs get an update at the same frequency, so should experience regressions at the same rate).

3 Likes

Updates on the whole have actually fixed issues for me but that isn’t an option in the poll. The one exception was the network-manager wifi auto connect bug that was a pain but didn’t prevent me from using the system. It only took a couple of months to fix, which is actually quite good.

I’ve just switched one system to testing but didn’t encounter any regressions. the other will remain on stable.

3 Likes

in 2 years and a half on majaro unstable this is the “biggest problems” I encounter beside some package that needed to be rebuilt and was done pretty fast:

• Qt5 problems at a time I had to downgrade for few days (I don’t remember exactly why) I needed to downgrade qt5-base
  • Xorg that crashed during an update, but it does not break anything as I was not here… and when i came back pacman finished the update.
  • sddm that was not starting correctly because of a race condition after an update
  • kodi was unable to play video after a ffmpeg update (solved in few days)
  • the network-manager auto connect issue but it’s not a big deal
  • usual plasma regression like as icon only luncher ordering some times ago, again nothing dramatic

I never encounter any “breakage” that was stopping the boot or needed a chroot to solve.
but I don’t use proprietary drivers, I don’t use encryption or special filesystem. only ext4 and FAT32 for EFI partition.

2 Likes

I simply can’t remember such things like how often do I have issues with updates.

2 Likes

I think what @Bertie means and where that poll question could be misleading is that it’s not the same if you just installed Manjaro a month ago and already experienced two regressions or you installed it two years ago and only had two regressions.

3 Likes

Yeah, I suppose the “how often” doesn’t work without a frequency qualifier (1-2 times per… ?), and asking something about proportion/percentage of updates also doesn’t work (1 issue after 1 update is 100%… 1 issue after 10 is 10%).

Good points.

2 Likes

On stable, I normally don’t encounter any breakages. Sometimes a few annoying things pop up, like for example new config file structure/syntax (I’m looking at you, rofi).
Also KDE can be a little wonky, and some AUR or custom packages need recompilation but that’s to be expected!

These things are either very easily fixed, or just plain solved with the next update.

A complete serious breakage hasn’t occurred to me in over two years.

Sometimes stable updates are delayed for too long IMHO, although there are reasons for that.
At least security relevant updates should be pushed faster (openssl, firefox etc.)

3 Likes

If there’s one that isn’t, report it. Firefox in particular is “relatively” easy, shared libraries like openssl might be trickier depending on backwards-compatibility.

3 Likes

I have the same problem as the Manjaro Team - not enough resources/time to check for every potential security issue.
If I do find something, then of course I will report.

3 Likes

I also put that there in case others read it too. :wink:

2 Likes

My current install is under 6 months old but I didn’t answer as it isn’t related to a Manjaro issue but a motherboard failure.

I would say I get roughly one update per year that breaks something. The problem has always been answered in the accompanying update thread and it’s probably more my fault for not reading the thread first. As long as you don’t do things blindly Manjaro is quite stable.

3 Likes

Which ones?

1 Like

Those with “you must be kidding”, for instance.

2 Likes

I thought those were there just for otherwise-trolls who would like a ‘manjaro breaks all the time omgz’ box to tick / joke. Reading your comment made me realize it could be the opposite as well.
Either way though, they arent really helpful to good data gathering.

4 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by