The equivalent of 'ebook-tools' in Manjaro

I read the answer here: Ebook-convert install problems - #2 by Yochanan

Yochanan seems to imply that the only way to get epub->mobi on Manjaro is via Calibre.

However, in other distros there is a tool called ebook-tools that can convert from epub->mobi: source

However, I do seem to have ebook-tools installed on Manjaro, but I believe this is some other package entirely:

And now that I investigate further, I’m not even sure what this package is doing because …

when I type ebook2text, I get:

ebook2text --help                                                        
`ebook2text' converts e-books to plain text.
Supported formats include FictionBook 2, BBeB and various Palm-based formats.

Usage: ebook2text [OPTION] FILE

Options:
        --info                display document metadata instead of the text
        --help                show this help message
        --version             show version information

Report bugs to <https://sourceforge.net/p/libebook/tickets/> or <https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/>.

and the same for ebook2raw & ebook2html.

What exactly is ebook-tools for? Is it for Okular?

No.
A look at the package shows this:

$ pacman -Ql ebook-tools
ebook-tools /usr/
ebook-tools /usr/bin/
ebook-tools /usr/bin/einfo
ebook-tools /usr/bin/lit2epub
ebook-tools /usr/include/
ebook-tools /usr/include/epub.h
ebook-tools /usr/include/epub_shared.h
ebook-tools /usr/include/epub_version.h
ebook-tools /usr/lib/
ebook-tools /usr/lib/libepub.so
ebook-tools /usr/lib/libepub.so.0
ebook-tools /usr/lib/libepub.so.0.2.1
ebook-tools /usr/share/
ebook-tools /usr/share/licenses/
ebook-tools /usr/share/licenses/ebook-tools/
ebook-tools /usr/share/licenses/ebook-tools/LICENSE

So … its not related to your other commands “ebook2*” … those are owned by package libe-book.

A quick look found a number of other tools that fit your needs. From readers to convertors … ex:

aur/lector 0.5.1-1 [+18 ~0.00]
    Qt based ebook reader with support for PDF, epub, fb2, comicbooks, mobi, azw
aur/kcc 5.6.1-2 [+27 ~0.87]
    Kindle Comic Converter converts comic files or folders to ePub or Panel View MOBI

Then please show us the source that is used to build that ancient package. Your source is from 2018, a lot has chanced since then.

The current ebook-tools from Fedora is exactly the same version Manjaro uses and provides the same files. The Fedora package ebook-tools doesn’t contain a program called ebook-convert.

A side note, I believe the “How to” is simply wrong. The ebook-convert command is at least 7 years part of Calibre, possible longer. The author was wrong, writing that ebook-convert was part of ebook-tools .

2 Likes