The end of Nvidia proprietary Drivers on Linux !?!

Look in the AUR ─ there are several zfs-related kernel module packages in there. :wink:

Also, when I said that Manjaro follows Arch, I didn’t mean that Manjaro would be an Arch clone. It simply follows Arch’s approach in this matter, which is that it’s okay to install zfs without FUSE, so long as it’s the user who chooses to do it ─ it must not be a default choice, for obvious reasons.

Holy crap did this thread turn into one massive :toilet: festival.

You wonder why overall Linux userland population makes up only one percent of the totality for desktop operating systems used worldwide? And what would developers who previously had an interest in supporting open source think about this? What would Valve think? They were the people who previously made SteamOS using Debian as a base and wanted to make their games work in Linux. There is no good news I am seeing here.

1 Like

Excuse me? Are you one of those gullible people who believe that the desktop computer usage of GNU/Linux ─ which has already long surpassed the 1%, thank you very much ─ would be the only market where GNU/Linux is deployed?

Just in case you didn’t know yet, about 70% of the entire internet runs off of GNU/Linux servers, as does the full 100% of the Top-500 fastest supercomputers in the world. GNU/Linux also powers mainframes and runs on most embedded devices. I’m not even counting Android, which is the world’s most popular mobile phone operating system, because Android isn’t actually GNU/Linux ─ it’s a modified Linux kernel with a userland mostly made up of Java byte code.

You’re (seriously) overreacting. Free & Open Source Software is the way to go. Nvidia is the odd one out that will need to adapt if it wants to survive. Intel and AMD are offering their drivers under the GPL.

2 Likes

The issue is not linux, but the crap of Nvidia and AMD to use their drivers as a weapon to keep people locked into the windows ecosystem or apple ecosystem. Manufactures should sell products and allow them to work on whatever ecosystem.

This is a hold over of the Windows era to keep others from being able to use certain hardware on any platform but windows. That is why windows still controls the licenses for Nvidia to work on that platform. Has nothing to do with linux, but everything to do with stiffling competition.

Ubuntu does not see it like this.

This whole legal/illegal discussion is nonsense. Nobody will sue anybody for proprietary drivers coming with the OS. Nobody was or will be sued for providing nvidia drivers in a distro and nobody will be sued because he provides zfs mdoule binaries.

Who should should sue whom? This whole discussion is ridiculous. Ubuntu understands that.

1 Like

If it is a legal possibility then you don’t take the risk, it is understandable.

1 Like

This is not about user land applications like games. This is about kernel modules. This has nothing to do with any proprietary programs you might want to use. You are misunderstanding the whole topic big time.

1 Like

Please read this:

2 Likes

Haven’t seen anyone mention yet that arch already has nvidia drivers compatible with linux59 on testing.

2 Likes

nvidia drivers are working with stock 5.9 kernel. It is just the opencl support that is not working.

If nvidia opencl is working for arch, then they must have patched the kernel.

I don’t understand what all this fuss is about then. Not like it matters for the vast majority of Manjaro users.

You did not understand what this whole thread is about in the first place.

So what you’re saying is that anyone who buys a PC running Windows 10 and a nice Nvidia card got it wrong and shouldn’t even bother the headache of testing a Linux install?

I’m ok with my intel graphics for now - but this is a huge issue. Even buying a WiFi dongle for Linux gives headaches… and it’s the #1 bug with Linux that it’s just not default for support.

1 Like

Correct :wink:

Incorrect.

Again … complain to broadcom and the likes about it … when you find they dont care … then dont buy those devices.

1 Like

This is a support forum not a debate club.

1 Like

I think users who currently run nvidia cards are just worried that they may not be able to run manjaro in the future thats all. We all obviously love the distro and no one wants to make a switch just because of the hardware they already have

Unfortunately, the day Manjaro doesn’t support Nvidia, lot of people, me included, will probably switch to another distro making it possible to continue gaming on Linux.

3 Likes

Not so fast. That is basically kicking sand in the face of customers who are under the valid belief as of present that nVidia is the best at graphics rendering and scientific computational tasks.

The moment AMD’s Radeon group quits keeping their thumbs in their collective asses and pulls out something that isn’t a hot steaming pile of junk priced similarly to nVidia products, as their processor team had done for Ryzen then yes, I would be all in for a pro-AMD argument and not even begin to defend customer purchasing decisions which run counter to the open-source narrative.

Until then, even if it betrays everything Linux stands for, we need to figure out some way of supporting nVidia products. Not that it matters because Microsoft’s in The Linux Foundation currently and IBM’s been grabbing open-source by the sack to co-opt it into proprietary software for over a decade now.

Look, I am not saying nvidia shouldnt be supported … just that its not exactly the fault of linux when it isnt. Nor the distro, nor … whatever … its nvidias fault. So from an open-source perspective then yes nvidia is the wrong one to buy or “support with your purchase”.

The amount of crud that gets slung because of it is … frustrating to say the least … so at times I end up not feeling too different from the sway developer:
Dev Rant blog post- “F-you-nvidia”

1 Like

Hello,
@cscs is absolutely right. This is 2020, Hardware manufactures of video should not use drivers as a way of having a monopoly. Linux is just a OS at the end of the day and it really should not matter when it comes to having drivers available for the hardware to work. Manufacturers have use the excuse of R&D is too much to make their drivers work across platforms. However, Microsoft was responsible for the current situation, by making sure they controlled both the hardware and software in order to keep their monopoly in place. If people want to leave Linux because they can’t use NVIDIA products, Then go for it. Linux will still exist and someone else will come along and fill the void. However, arm just might make this video fanboy-ism mute anyway. I don’t use Linux because of NVIDIA or AMD, but due to the fact it gives me the freedom I need to use my computer without limitations and enormous amounts of money spent to pay for a license. To be honest what NVIDIA, Microsoft and others are doing is racketeering at best.