The definition of Linux on the Manjaro.org homepage

On the frontpage of manjaro.org, Linux is called an open-source operating system. This is incorrect since Linux is “only” the kernel, the OS is built up by other software as well. I would like to see this part edited.

I know this section of the forum is meant for forum feedback, but it seemed the most fitting for this topic as well.

Let me know down below how you think about this.

Just my opinion, but I think there are many more important things to worry about in the world than being overly specific about the definition of Linux.

yeah sure you have a point but since this is on the homepage of the website I think it could be edited.

Maybe you should get Wikipedia to change their definition first:

Linux (/ˈlɪnəks/ LIN-əks ) is a family of free and open-source software operating systems built around the Linux kernel.

I’d just like to interject for moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

(Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

asleep

Thank you @Frog very cool!

we know, frog, but calling it gnu/linux is never gonna catch on, if for no other reason than that it’s longer and less pronounceable. we don’t call them automobile carriages anymore, either.

RMS? Is that you?

:rofl:

I suggest we just call it Systemd and child processes?

OK, seriously this is all silly anyway. The reason for the ascent of Linux was Apache, mod_perl, and MySQL. So let’s call it that.