Because of not using LTS kernels in the installation ISOs, many Manjaro users are running EOL kernels

I keep seeing users here with graphical issues post their inxi results, only to show that they’re using EOL kernels. Some of their issues may even be that some current packages no longer support the drivers built into EOL kernels. Even if my theory about drivers is incorrect, EOL kernels contain unpatched security vulnerabilities. Many users probably don’t know they should upgrade to a supported kernel. I propose that the ISOs should contain LTS kernels, or there needs to be a way (possibly via mhwd) to notify users that their kernel is no longer supported, and help them upgrade to a supported kernel.

8 Likes

The newest ISOs ship with 5.15. It’s currently marked as stable, but will be marked as LTS probably once 5.16 is stable.

EDIT: Apparently the linux515 ISOs were pulled due to people complaining user feedback.

1 Like

But newest stable ISO based on 5.13: Manjaro - KDE Plasma and link to download is https://download.manjaro.org/kde/21.1.6/manjaro-kde-21.1.6-211017-linux513.iso

Not many users visit the Update announcement threads ([Stable Update] 2021-11-19 - Kernels, Gnome 41.1, Plasma 5.23.3, Frameworks 5.88, LxQt 1.0, Xorg-Server 21.1, Mesa) as they need not an update but full release - image file. Furthermore 21.2pre1 with 5.15 was on manjaro.org earlier, but not now already.

1 Like

For all users on EOL kernels, something still needs to be done to push them onto supported kernels.

3 Likes

To notify them via MSM if their settings are

Or may be special matray news.

And now mhwd-kernel returns target not found for linux515 too.

I dont think we should make weird decisions because people not understanding the situation.

So now we ship a full EOL instead of a becoming EOL like 5.14? :confused:

Ability and notifications exist … in fact I would argue the opposite is a worse problem - users chasing shiny new kernels whenever they get a notice that a new one is available (and then complaining that 5.16 doesnt work like their 5.15LTS…)

Shipping LTS kernels on the ISOs isnt a terrible idea … except manjaro is a rolling release, and the ISOs are just snapshots … so a contemporary kernel makes sense, and using an old ISO with a dated kernel does not in most cases.
Besides … after rolling updates and/or user configuration it could be any kernel series.

3 Likes

I did not saw new threads a lot, but I have a feeling that users have less issues with 5.13 than with 5.14. But I could be wrong.

Actually sort of terrible. For BTRFS installations and working under LiveCD with such partitions: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

The Btrfs code base is stable. However, new features are still under development. Every effort is made to ensure that it remains stable and fast at each and every commit. This rapid pace of development means that the filesystem improves noticeably with every new Linux release so it’s highly recommended that users run the most modern kernel possible.

But I do not know what exactly means under this “highly recommended”, I mean why in details.

So we met 2 incompatible approaches: to ship 5.13 as less buggy in general than 5.14, to have newest possible for btrfs partitions.
But

Now about 5.16 (rc3 currently).

AFAIK (almost sure), notification for rc-stage kernels are absent from MSM.
Users can know about them only by opening MSM manually, tech news, searching through repos, mhwd-kernel -la, etc. So no notification present for RC kernel versions.

What’s the difference to complain bad work of RC comparing to execution result of cd /; sudo rm -rf <star> by own wish?
Is it their choice/preference to run an RC, a -git package, any external executable file (such as How do I know what type of portable app I met?) or any command (I did a very stupid, stupid thing) or not?

It is bad case when somebody suggests something possibly dangerous without knowing what dependencies are (Mesa-git Update issue)

But RC kernel installation is not that case of such somebodies suggestion, yeah?
Users installed them by their own will ([Unstable Update] 2021-11-11 - Gnome 41.1, Xorg-Server 21.1, LxQt 1.0, Nvidia 470.86, Plasma 5.23.3 - #26 by alven)

I think that perhaps certain newbies might consider that having received a message concerning the availability of a new kernel that it is The Word of God and must comply…thus they act accordingly. I did at first.

It takes time to sink in that we’re not using a Windows OS and that we’re “free” on Manjaro… My 2 cents.

1 Like

I just think it’s a shame how many users of a rolling distro like Manjaro don’t even educate themselves on kernel lifecycles, or other basics of Linux.

3 Likes

ben81,
you can help to fix it by writing a publication on it in Tutorial section for a new or not experienced users :slight_smile:

1 Like

From the latest announcement [Stable Update] 2021-11-19 we read:

We updated our Kernels. Note that 5.13 series is marked EOL and 5.12 got removed!

So we got a brand new 5.13.19. For me it is a very good kernel, everything works. I trust Manjaro will support it until I read “5.13 got removed”.

The stable versions of 5.14 and 5.15 still have problems for me, so I will await the next iterations to reach stable branch.

1 Like

Sadly it’s not just with something like Manjaro. There’s always, everywhere “people” that prefer to live like a zombie: want all the brains and don’t want to use their own. I count myself as unbelievably blessed that I was taught to use my head for more than just decoration and actually think. I see that less and less each and every day, everywhere I go in everything I do.

But, I’m guessing that’s enough now, so this is me, shutting up now.

</rant>

8 Likes

Kernel 5.10 is a LTS (Long Term Support) kernel with over 5 years of support. Your CPU is old enough to work fine with 5.10. The benefits of newer kernels are mainly support for newer hardware.

CPU: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz

Benjamin, I think that this answer will be posted somewhere for example in https://forum.manjaro.org/t/find-a-time-to-take-a-laugh/90585/

OK, whos here has CPUs earlier than Ryzen 5000 or Tiger Lake / Alder Lake? Do not dream about “fine work” on 5.16+ kernel generations!

That is an 8th Generation Intel Core CPU, aka Whiskey Lake, which is very well supported on Linux 5.10. Yes it should work on newer kernels too, but if 5.15 doesn’t work for you, 5.10 should.

Edit: I am using 5.15.5-2 on testing branch with a Whiskey Lake CPU, no issues. I didn’t have issues with 5.10 either. I just wanted to try the newer kernel.

Me, I have my old Intel 8th and am using Kernel 5.10.x, no need use newer minor version of kernel, because many features from the minor version 11 to 16 are unnecessary for the old hardware.

It is about the semantic version: X.Y.Z For example: 5.10.5

• X is major version when you make incompatible hardware or API changes.
  • Y is minor version when you create new features, not bugfix, but backwards compatible manner.
  • Z is patch version for bugfix that makes backwards compatible API.

That means we need update newer path version for many bugfixs the old hardware.

Ben, can’t understand you:

You cited the @flux’s post.

The user have in their profile:

CPU: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz

and you answered to their post

But a bit later you told opposite:

Or may be I lost in thread?

Same here. I couldn’t get Cudy/Realtek wifi USB dongle to be recognized with anything newer than 5.13, having tried them (from 5.8 through 5.15) in succession.

So I’d feel anxious about moving to a later kernel release without knowing how to fix. Being new to Manjaro/Arch’s rolling release philosophy, the more noobs like me can learn about the kernel release life cycle the better.

This forum is remarkable - but a bit hard to get one’s hands around at first. A few strolls around the categories didn’t reveal any clear guidance/FAQs on this topic - perhaps I’ve just missed them?

Any suggestions on where to go to get up to speed on kernel selection/issues in Manjaro-world would be appreciated.

@alven I did not say the opposite. I said the same thing twice, the second time with more detail. Read these back-to-back.

Sorry everybody, I’ve updated my profile.

This is very new hardware which came with 21.1.5 Pahvo pre-installed.