[Testing Update] 2024-03-23 - Pacman 6.1, KDE Gear, Nvidia, Gstreamer, AMD ROCm

4 posts were split to a new topic: I’m not able to run snap anymore

hey thanks for the answer! Can you please elaborate further? I cannot follow you.

and

literally 5 posts above

This update borked my system. Im downloading plasma edition to reinstall it. Good thing I have a w10 partition too.

I had little space in /, not sure if that was related. But while updating the screen went black and that was it, then it didnt start

If you run out of space during upgrade then it will be interrupted.

If upgrade is interrupted for any reason then any number of problems could occur.

Lack of space in critical partitions can also cause problems, including causing software to fail.

CheckSpace in pacman.conf should mitigate the specific occurrence of ‘running out of space during upgrade’, though it cannot perform its check from within a chroot environment.

Well, for pacman anyways.
I do not know (or believe) pamac is affected by that option or has its equivalent.
pamac-gtk has this option in the GUI.

1 Like

Pamac has this option too. And i think it is turned on by default.
And although this is a personal problem and does not belong here, here are the relevant links

There was a guide for moving /usr but i cannot find it.

1 Like

Its not documented anywhere, not in man or the conf file.
Eventually after installing one of the gtk versions I found it does have this option in GUI.
So theres that then.

I suspect it was more related to kde plasma being updated but I already reinstalled so its good now

Btw how do I change the kernel now? I dont see the program to do so anymore

Use terminal like any sane person.

2 Likes

During boot, after the motherboard OEM’s splash screen, you can hit ‘Esc’ to bring up the Grub menu to select your preferred Kernel as well.

Search for Manjaro Settings Manager in start menu.

Thanks for the friendly reply :slight_smile:
That information was not present to me at the last update. However, I do not have the microcode line (ALL_microcode=(/boot/*-ucode.img) in /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux67.preset) and the microcode is loaded just fine (can be observed by this command: journalctl -k --grep=microcode).

To get a common ground for everyone here from the discussion you shown before regarding this Forum entry: [Unstable Update] March 2024 Edition - #33 by koshikas
→ Before, it was discussed in the Arch-Forum:
It rather seemed to be a misplacement of the GRUB_EARLY_INITRD_LINUX_STOCK="" -line. As you see in the posts before, it was at an earlier state called. I would assume(!) that the early position overwrote a latter one, which lead to issues.
Also, it seems not to be necessary, as shown by this discussion of this merge request, which was discussed in the unstable forum:

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Where is the GUI to change kernel versions?

It’s in here… :point_down:

:wink:

1 Like

I investigate trough the konsole Breath profile, and I see it uses the Hack Nerd Font Mono, not MesloLGS NF Regular. So, I think the wiki post would be changed following the Breath profile. Isn’t it?

Well, it’s your choose it has Meslo Nerd Font as dependency so this is likely the default.

1 Like

Hack Nerd Font will require you to install a new package ttf-hack-nerd while MesloLGS is there by default. You can choose whatever you want.

2 Likes

I have weird issue here, pamac update is not offering a sane solution to this upgrade, it only shows 1200MB to download and is missing most packages i would expect in a plasma update. Pamac had some dependency conflict

Warning: installing pacman (6.1.0-4) breaks dependency 'libalpm.so=13-64' required by libpamac                                                                                                                                                                                               
Add libpamac to remove
Warning: installing pacman (6.1.0-4) breaks dependency 'pacman<6.1' required by pacutils
Add pacutils to remove
Error: Failed to prepare transaction:
could not satisfy dependencies:
- removing libpamac breaks dependency 'libpamac' required by libpamac-flatpak-plugin
- removing libpamac breaks dependency 'libpamac>=11' required by manjaro-application-utility
- removing libpamac breaks dependency 'libpamac>=11.6.3' required by pamac-cli
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Error: Failed to prepare transaction:
could not satisfy dependencies:
- removing libpamac breaks dependency 'libpamac' required by libpamac-flatpak-plugin
- removing libpamac breaks dependency 'libpamac>=11' required by manjaro-application-utility
- removing libpamac breaks dependency 'libpamac>=11.6.3' required by pamac-cli

i had to manually update few packages before it was happy to offer the 1200MB update,

sudo pacman -S libpamac-flatpak-plugin manjaro-application-utility pamac-cli pamac-gtk pamac-tray-icon-plasma

. So i tried pacman:

answered yes to 8 “replace x with y?” questions

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace baloo5 with extra/baloo? [Y/n] 
:: Replace breeze with extra/breeze5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace ksysguard with extra/plasma-systemmonitor? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kuserfeedback5 with extra/kuserfeedback? [Y/n] 
:: Replace oxygen with extra/oxygen5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace plasma-integration with extra/plasma5-integration? [Y/n] 
:: Replace plasma5-themes-breath with extra/plasma6-themes-breath? [Y/n] 
:: Replace plasma5-themes-breath-migration with extra/plasma6-themes-breath-migration? [Y/n]

, and offers 2700MB and all packages i expect.

So is my system somehow broken or is pamac just failing to be up to the task of such a disruptive update? Or should i do what pamac suggests, then reboot into it, to finish the rest of the updates?

edit: i am currently on stable, and switched to testing for this update
edit2: after updating package database 2 days later pamac also sees correct packages. I will use it.

Hi, does any one else have issues with baloo? The command balooctl is not a valid command, and search in Dolphin is completely broken :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Apparently it was renamed to balooctl6. Might want to try that one or use the graphical configuration via settings

$ pacman -Ql baloo | grep bin
baloo /usr/bin/
baloo /usr/bin/balooctl6
baloo /usr/bin/baloosearch6
baloo /usr/bin/balooshow6
5 Likes