[Testing Update] 2024-03-16 - Kernel, Calamares, Mesa, Plasma 6, KF 6, KDE Gear 24.04, LibreOffice

Maybe, can try tonight. However in that case it’s a new one for me, since I was using Wayland with Plasma5 before without this issue.

Yeah I think you gave me me aneurysm. Good job if I actually got baited.

1 Like

I noticed on KDE I can no longer change the monitors configuration from the Display widget, when I click one of the icons to switch monitors configuration, it stays on the current monitor configuration (single or dual monitor).

I think I’ve figured it out now.

own_window_type = 'dock',

is the way to go, so leave it as it is.

To avoid conky always being on top, add a new Window Rule in kde settings (Window Management), i. e. force the Conky-Window to always be “below”.

Pretty straightforward actually.

Tip: for those who miss the kernel section in the system settings of KDE Plasma, try installing systemdgenie. It is the same thing.

1 Like

Ah, your info made me realize that unofficial systemd-kcm comes out of the box in Manjaro KDE.
I am removing it because it hasn’t been maintained in over 9 years and doesn’t support Plasma 6. Thanks!

PS: I’m surprised many here haven’t noticed it except @zomberman

@Yochanan Maybe it’s time to drop this package?

Indeed I didn’t notice the SystemD KCM was not here anymore, but still it has nothing to do with the Kernel management in KDE System Settings I don’t know why he suggested that.

Same issue with kernel 6.8.1-1-MANJARO for a microSD card with extfat file system (not encrypted).

sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/disk/
[sudo] Mot de passe de steph : 
FUSE exfat 1.4.0 (libfuse3)
fuse: mount failed: Device or resource busy

Journalctl message:

mars 21 18:45:31 steph-bureau udisksd[2183571]: fuse: mount failed: Device or resource busy
mars 21 18:45:31 steph-bureau udisksd[2183571]: FUSE exfat 1.4.0 (libfuse3)
mars 21 18:45:31 steph-bureau kernel: /dev/sdc1: Can't open blockdev
2 Likes

For those of you that have problems with adapting to the microcode change noted here in the forum… I created a short Youtube video about how to adapt the hooks. First video I made, feels slightly cringe, but maybe it helps someone and I can give sth. back :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Tested in a X11 session, the graphical glitches still appear. Whatever’s the reason, it’s not Wayland.

Did you clear the KDE configs after the Plasma 6 update? If not, try on a clean, test user with vanilla settings.

Good point. I intended to do so, but then kinda forgot after everything else was working smoothly.
Will test that.

With reference to Plasma 6, do you advise to delete the whole .config folder or only specific files that starts with “k” letter in .config folder (for example kwinrulesrc, kwinrc, kdeglobals)? What about .cache folder? I don’t want to delete to much.

1 Like

With reference to Plasma 6, I would advise to simply create a new user profile:

/home/newuserforplasma6

I had a couple of issues - and so far, it seems they were mostly solved by moving .config to .config-5 and logging in again.

You can also create a new user called ‘TEST’ to help verify if it’s a bug, or just the $USER stuff which usually causes issues with plasma.

It’s worth aiming for a ‘half-split’ technique. If a problem clears up, then I’ll just select HALF the contents of the .config-5 folder and overwrite the current one… it’s the simplest ‘aimless’ troubleshooting method :wink:

Making a new profile is obviously the straightest and most reliable way of doing it though, so it depends on how different your current config is and how long it would take you to safely set it up again.

1 Like

Unfortunately, there is no golden rule here. Because I have my system since 8 years and wanted to be 100% sure that nothing is causing troubles, I nuked the entire .config folder by renaming it to .config.bak. I relogged the session and then after ensuring that the desktop behaves correctly, I went to configs and copied my app config folders that I knew I need (leaving some rarely used ones). The same with loose config files (without their own folders).

Since Plasma had a lot of defaults that I didn’t like, my next step was to hunt those settings and changed them back to what I like.

This was some work, but if I had tracked down issues per config basis, it would take more time and many hidden problems would get away.

So how do you handle this, depends on you. You could simply rename all configs and folders that seem to have anything to do with Plasma. I’d wish they made some order with configs, keep them in one main folder with reasonable structure or file names.

Also, I had to delete some local files/folders, because they were interfering with Plasma. I had there some additional or alternative desktop components. This time, I went to specifc files folders, because .local won’t restore itself like .configs.

1 Like

Interesting, this could be what is causing my systemd mount unit to fail (though it works fine under plasma5)
Will test later.

For anyone experiencing issues with auto-mount of ntfs filesystem using Kernel 6.8:
The kernel changed default ntfs driver from FUSE one to ntfs3.
These two are not fully compatible, mainly as far as mount options go. If you have custom mount options in the fstab (or any other application, such as VeraCrypt) they need to be changed.

Symptoms:
Mount fails with: Device or resource busy
DMesg reports: Can't open blockdev

Solution:
Migrate your mount options. For me the changes were:

• allow_otherumask=000
  • default_permissions → [drop]
  • user_id=1000uid=1000
  • group_id=1000gid=1000
4 Likes