[Testing Update] 2023-08-04 - Kernels, Nextcloud, Plasma 5.27.7, Mesa 23.1.5, Firefox, Thunderbird

touche, so i’ll wait for the bugfix. anyhow it might be helpful to all hypnotix-users that iptvnator is a working alternative in the meantime. they are pretty much the same in case of handling.

A Patch is available:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230717201652.17168-1-mario.limonciello@amd.com/T/

:information_source: budgie-desktop >= 10.7.2-6 update requires manual intervention

When upgrading from budgie-desktop 10.7.2-5 to 10.7.2-6, the package mutter43 must be replaced with magpie-wm, which currently depends on mutter. As mutter43 conflicts with mutter, manual intervention is required to complete the upgrade.

First remove mutter43, then immediately perform the upgrade. Do not relog or reboot between these steps.

pacman -Rdd mutter43
pacman -Syu

After all problems I had after the update some days ago, I reinstalled my Thinkpad and migrated to systemd-boot. The upgrade from stable to this testing worked nearly without a problem. Only hickup was that I only could boot in fail-safe mode, otherwise I saw a black screen, both with kernel 6.1 and 6.4.
The working solution was to uninstall systemd-kernel-maintenance and install kernel-install-mkinitcpio from the AUR instead. You have to run sudo reinstall-kernels afterwards of course .

you can try another malloc like mimalloc or jemalloc as workaround for the mpv/glibc bug:

install mimalloc and start mpv with:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libmimalloc.so mpv
or
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libjemalloc.so mpv

2 Likes

Thanks!

mimalloc didn’t work for me (mpv would start but somehow show no window), but jemalloc works just fine as a workaround for the time being.

Well … that package doesnt exist in any of the repos or AUR … so … maybe makes sense.

Thanks! Used jemalloc with hypnotix. Working!

For folks that dont want to change things too much … an apparent workaround is to set a lowish cache size:

mkdir -p ~/.config/mpv && printf '\ndemuxer-max-bytes=50MiB\ndemuxer-max-back-bytes=25MiB\n' | tee -a ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf

Ah, sorry you’re right, I meant systemd-boot-manager

>>> pacman -Ss systemd boot                                              
extra/bootsplash-systemd 0.1.2-1
    Systemd service files for Bootsplash
extra/systemd-boot-manager 0.9+24+g1ce8294-1
    A simple tool to maintain systemd-boot & systemd-boot entries for Manjaro

But the important information was that it only works with the AUR package kernel-install-mkinitcpio

@ara can you check if 2.38-2.0 fixes your issue. Thx.

Yes, working again!