[Testing Update] 2022-12-16 - Kernels, Pipewire, XFCE 4.18, Mesa 22.3.1, Plasma-Mobile, Thunderbird

Remember to check and cleanup orphans from time to time:

1 Like

amd vaapi doesnt work for me

i reverted thunar: 4.18 would not autoupdate the display after a change like deleting a file

Why not report the issue to upstream? Issues · Xfce / thunar · GitLab

Dropping dbus-x11 package from repositories without an upgrade path to the regular dbus one, or at the very least a warning on an official announcement (unless I missed it?), seems to be a pretty risky move to me, considering that it is a core package and that many pieces of software depend on it.

I was lucky to notice that Pamac wanted me to upgrade dbus-x11 from the AUR, which was really weird. I manually made the switch on my system before it stops working properly.

4 Likes

switching to the plain dbus package fixed it.

i don’t remember why i’d initially switched to dbus-x11, but i DO remember that i did it on purpose to fix a specific problem, so i guess i’ll see what crops up…

1 Like

It was used to allow users to launch GUI applications as root. Not sure if there is any other uses.

3 Likes

I am so thankful that @Frog identified this issue and let the community know. I actually wrote a Topic in June on dbus-x11 because our automation toolchain failed. As long as dbus-x11 is in the AUR, we’ll install it. It looks like it involves a recompile of dbus with the configuration option of --enable-x11-autolaunch. My issue is not with Thunar, but with graphical applications in general.

This has been discussed last year at this time too:

Regarding the “list of all package changes” (LAPC) link in post 1. I’ll be honest, I have a hard time understanding the format and trying to apply it to a system update to catch package changes (i.e., packages removed from Manjaro Repos). One thing I noticed, the removal of dbus-x11 was not in this 2022-12-16 Testing Announcement (LAPC #825) , but was in the 2022-12-13 Testing Announcement (LAPC #824).

When Testing moves to Stable will the LAPC #825 and #824 get combined into one list for the Stable Announcement?

It would be extremely helpful if there was a simple list of all packages that are removed from Manjaro’s Repo’s in the Testing and Stable Announcemenst. The LAPC is not layed out for automation or to easily see what was removed from Manjaro’s Repo’s – A user has to scan the far right column for a single dash. I am assuming the single dash is removal. There is no legend.

Consider voting for this package in the archlinux AUR to give it some energy.

1 Like

Nothing depends on dbus-x11, they depend on dbus.

As put by Emmanuele Bassi, a GNOME developer: “there are no real, substantiated, technological reasons why anybody should run a GUI application as root. By running GUI applications as an admin user you are literally running millions of lines of code that have not been audited properly to run under elevated privileges; you are also running code that will touch files inside your $HOME and may change their ownership on the file system; connect, via IPC, to even more running code, etc. You are opening up a massive, gaping security hole […].[1]

Running GUI applications as root - ArchWiki

Normally that’s a good idea to increase the chance a package may be imported into the Arch repos, however in this case it will make no difference. Arch will never import it into the core repository.

Upgrading from XFCE 4.16 to XFCE 4.18 created major issues here -

ie: after reboot taskbar vanished along with all launchers & settings and was unrecoverable, many desktop shortcuts failed, settings manager became largely nonfunctional, terminal was unavailable… Manjaro became essentially unusable.

Over time I’ve customized XFCE and am using PCManFM instead of Thunar. This may have effected the failed upgrade.

Anyway, I always backup the OS, ~/.config, and data using SystemRescue prior to upgrades. So I easily restored the OS & ~/.config, rebooted, and all was good to go.

Was supposed to be fixed [Unstable Update] 2022-11-25 - Mkinitcpio, NVIDIA, Qt, Gtk, SDL, LibreOffice, Cinnamon - #64 by pheiduck

1 Like

Interesting, thanks. libxfce4ui is currently not installed on my system. I’ll install it and try another XFCE upgrade later.

EDIT: OK - noticed that long ago I’d installed libxfce4ui-nocsd 4.16.1-1. So I installed libxfce4ui 4.16.1-1 (which automatically removed libxfce4ui-nocsd) then upgraded XFCE. libxfce4ui was properly upgraded to v4.18.0-1 and all’s well!

Thank you omano!

3 Likes

Except that dbus-x11 provides dbus and conflits with dbus too. Both packages provides the same software with slight variations. Therefore, users that keep the old package are left with an obsolete DBUS that isn’t rebuilt as needed nor upgraded anymore.

My point is not about if it should be kept or not, it’s to warn people about a possible breakage that might occur later.

no dbus or dbus-x11 on my side…

I find that very hard to believe.

:information_source: Random, off-topic comments and discussion are normally not tolerated on #announcements posts.

@Frog has a point - dbus-x11 came pre-installed with Manjaro Xfce as recently as a year ago. All those users will still have it installed if they haven’t manually changed it since then.

Adding a warning in the wiki is the least that can be done - so I’ve gone ahead and done that.

FYI: regardless of stance on whether or not gui applications should be launched as root, dbus-x11 is no longer required to do that. launching thunar and subsequently mousepad as root using pkexec under dbus has worked for quite some time now. I have not encountered any other tasks that would require dbus-x11 over dbus.

Ideally, dbus-x11 (version 1.14.4-1) would be automatically replaced with dbus with manjaro-system to reduce manual required intervention for the update. Anyone wanting to keep the package from the AUR would install version 1.15.0-2 and would not be affected afterward.

3 Likes

Are you sure? :thinking:

Thanks.

Notice the edit I made. :wink:

That was the point. :wink:

That’s an idea. Please create an issue.

Yes (you can search for “dbus” in the pkgs text file). Official ISOs offered by the manjaro site prior to 21.2.1 (released 2022-01-03) came with dbus-x11 instead of dbus.

Unless you are implying that it was included more recently than that by default, which would be even more reason to automate the transition.

Appreciated

Done

We provided nocsd once. However the XFCE Classic project only updated to 4.17.0 so far. I pushed now that package to our extra repos, however I don’t know if that project is still active or not. I opened an issue: libxfce4ui 4.18.0 released · Issue #15 · Xfce-Classic/libxfce4ui-nocsd · GitHub If there is no response in a timely manner we consider to drop the package from our repos. Just let me know if 4.17.0 fixes your panel issue or if it is still there.