[Testing Update] 2022-09-06 - Kernels, Plasma, Firefox, Thunderbird, NetworkManager, Pipewire

knotify updates caused an issue.

Notifications are currently provided by ‘knopwob dunst’ instead of Plasma.

Possible cause: dunst-1.9.0-1 systemd-timer-notify-git-r7.b9b1cb2-1 purging those now.

Restarting plasmashell didn’t fix it, but logging out and in did.

I’m a bit concerned that an outdated Thunderbird version has been shipped with this Testing update 102.2.1 has been out for a week and includes critical security fixes (and a ton of bug fixes as the the release of version 102 has been quite a mess as it seems). Can you please push 102.2.1 to testing? Thunderbird — Release Notes (102.2.1) — Thunderbird

Edit: Oh, never mind, it has not even reached upstream Arch repos yet. Urrrgh.

Yes, 102.2.0 is kind of a mess. Let’s see when Arch is updating the package …

That should be fixed:

$ mkdir -p ~/.local/share/dbus-1/services/
$ ln -s /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.plasma.Notifications.service \
  ~/.local/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.plasma.Notifications.service
2 Likes

Minor problem, also just occurs in specific usecases:

Update failed because of conflicting files.
The problem is that pcre-static and glib2-static seem to be included in pcre and glib2 now, but there is no “replaces” line in the PKGBUILD file, so this is an Arch package problem.
See this commit for reference.

Uninstalling pcre-static and glib2-static first and then run update, fixes it.

2 Likes

thunderbird-102.2.1-1.fc38.x86_64.rpm
(Fedora) is working flawlessly (alien and debtap).

There is also thunderbird-bin in AUR which is at 102.2.2 by now. You may only need to rename the dot-folder to have your email settings available.

2 Likes

i used thunderbird 102.2.0 since 1 month now, no issues with it. its the AUR beta package

The Thunderbird update on my side wasn’t clean, the unified folder wasn’t showing all mails from all my accounts, I had to select manually each account to see these mails. In the end after doing many things like deleting the “smart mailboxes” folder, repairing the folders of each account from Thunderbird, and so on, I renamed the unified folder, which created a bug, I renamed multiple times in a row and it was adding a new unified folder… but then at some point one of them was working and showing all mails, I then restarted Thunderbird, only one unified folder was now present, and was working.

It seems thunderbird 102.2.1 cannot be built until python-pip and python-typing_extensions are updated. See 1789794 - Build issues with Thunderbird 102.2.1 and 102.2.2 on Archlinux due to outdated pip and typing_extensions packages

KDE Plasma: Just noticed that the System tray drop down menu for sound devices no longer shows the presence of Pulseaudio equalizer. Although it does show (eventually) when hovering over the icon.

KDE Plasma 5.25 no longer shows virtual sound devices by default.

To show them:

1. Right-click the volume icon on the taskbar
  2. Select “Configure Audio Volume…”
  3. Check the box “Show virtual devices”
2 Likes

I wish such changes were openly notified somehow. Maybe even a pop up note after updates.
Thank-you Stasadev.

like in the changelogs? Plasma 5.25.0 complete changelog - KDE Community

Applet: Hide virtual devices by default. Commit.

3 Likes

As is Thunderbird in general, in particular with Lightning calendar extension installed.
That’s why I use Evolution instead. It is running amazingly fast, even with several mail accounts installed and many calendars to be synchronized.

2 Likes

Update from Mozilla:

You’re better off changing the PKGBUILD file to set MACH_BUILD_PYTHON_NATIVE_PACKAGE_SOURCE to either pip or none. system is really meant for use in Mozilla CI builds where compatibility is ensured. Per FS#75848, the Firefox package is using pip to deal with this same issue.
See Using third-party Python packages — Firefox Source Docs documentation for what the different values for MACH_BUILD_PYTHON_NATIVE_PACKAGE_SOURCE are. I just built the Arch package with this diff applied and setting MACH_BUILD_PYTHON_NATIVE_PACKAGE_SOURCE to none. That’s probably the way to go so you’re not relying on PyPi services to build.
FWIW, you should be able to remove yasm, imake, xorg-server-xvfb, and autoconf2.13 from makedepends and add json-c as a dependency along with ac_add_options --with-system-jsonc in mozconfig.cfg. The --disable-elf-hack line should be safe to remove from mozconfig.cfg as well.
I’m going to mark this WONTFIX, as updating PKGBUILD is the preferred fix.

2 Likes

Well we fixed the thunderbird issue already by using PIP …

3 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Several orphans after update

upgrading libgovirt to 0.3.9 caused a coredump on virt-viewer. this is a known bug apparently and required downgrading back to 0.3.8. https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/75823?project=5&string=virt-viewer