[Testing Update] 2022-08-27 - Kernels, Mesa, Firefox, Calamares, Steam, Haskell, Python

Hello community,

Another testing branch update with some usual package updates for you.

• Most of our Kernels and Firmware got updated
  • Mesa is now at 22.1.7
  • Calamares got renewed to 3.2.61 which also brings new slideshows
  • We removed our XFCE-gtk3 compatible packages from our repos
  • Firefox got updated to 104.0
  • Our Steam packages are now similar named as with upstream Arch
  • Regular KDE-git, Haskell and Python updates

Additional Info

Info about AUR packages

:warning: AUR (Arch User Repository) packages are neither supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Posts about them in Announcement topics are off-topic and will be flagged, moved or removed without warning.

:information_source: You may need to rebuild any AUR packages that install files to site-packages …

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, GNOME, XFCE. You get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

Our current supported kernels

• linux419 4.19.256
  • linux54 5.4.211
  • linux510 5.10.138
  • linux515 5.15.63
  • linux518 5.18.19 [EOL]
  • linux519 5.19.4
  • linux60 6.0.0rc2
  • linux515-rt 5.15.55_rt48
  • linux518-rt 5.18.0_rt11
  • linux519-rt 5.19.0_rt10

Package Changes (Sat Aug 27 08:15:08 CEST 2022)

• testing community x86_64: 1219 new and 1207 removed package(s)
  • testing core x86_64: 23 new and 23 removed package(s)
  • testing extra x86_64: 230 new and 250 removed package(s)
  • testing kde-unstable x86_64: 348 new and 347 removed package(s)
  • testing multilib x86_64: 11 new and 11 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all package changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

6 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Testing Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please RTFT (Read This Fine Thread) first before reporting the same issues over and over again!

:arrow_right: 2022-08-27

Changes with Back In Time packages
  • backintime has been renamed to backintime-qt
  • backintime-cli has been renamed to backintime

After replacing backintime-cli with backintime, you will need to install backintime-qt manually if you want the Qt frontend installed again.

2022-08-23

electron12, electron13, electron14 & electron16 have been dropped to the AUR

Unsupported Electron packages have been dropped from the official repos to the AUR. They no longer receive security updates and nothing in the repos depend on them.

If you have AUR packages depending on those versions, install the binary version from the AUR to replace them; i.e., electron16-bin.

See FS#75490 - electron12, electron13, electron14, electron16 are unsupported and vulnerable packages

End of Support for 15.x.y and 16.x.y

Electron 15.x.y and 16.x.y has reached end-of-support. As per Electron’s new 8-week cadence, we were supporting the latest four versions of Electron until May 2022. With this Electron 19 release, we’ll return to supporting the latest three major versions, as well as the alpha, beta, and nightly releases.

Release electron v19.0.0 · electron/electron · GitHub

2022-08-12

element-desktop dependency error
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing electron (20.0.0-1) breaks dependency 'electron19' required by element-desktop

The upstream package was already flagged out of date (it needs to be rekeyringbuilt against latest electron).

Workaround for now:

sudo pacman -Syy electron electron19 --asdeps
sudo pacman -Su

2022-08-04

Glibc 2.36 update will break EasyAntiCheat within Proton (should be fixed with glibc 2.36-2)

Temporary workaround for now is to use the flatpak version of steam:

sudo pacman -S flatpak --needed --noconfirm
sudo flatpak install com.valvesoftware.Steam -y

You can use flatseal (another flatpak app) to grant it access to your existing game library so you don’t have to re-download your games (add the game library install path under “Other files” under “Filesystem”).

sudo flatpak install com.github.tchx84.Flatseal -y

For advanced users (not recommended by us): patched glibc and lib32-glibc are available here. They remove the commit that broke EAC.

2022-07-27

Fixed: Pamac shows archlinux-keyring (20220713-2) and manjaro-keyring (20220514-2) as orphans
sudo pacman -D --asexplicit archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring

Resolved: w/ base 3-2 Revert changes:

sudo pacman -D --asdeps archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring

2022-07-16

wxWidgets 3.2 update may need manual intervention

Packages have been renamed from wxgtk- to wxwidgets-. The GTK2 frontend is no longer provided. If you have wxgtk2 installed, the upgrade will fail with:

In such case, uninstall wxgtk2 first and then proceed with the upgrade.

2022-07-13

Linux518: could not insert 'amd_pstate': No such device

With Kernel 5.18.11 there was added a regression to AMD P-State driver preventing it from loading.

2022-07-08

Wireplumber 0.4.11 may crash for GDM users

Currently there is an issue with 0.4.11 and GDM crashing on boot-up. More in the upstream bugtracker issue: wireplumber segfault: system boot and could see in my dmesg (#305) · Issues · PipeWire / wireplumber · GitLab

2022-06-07

Locale file changes

C.UTF8 locale is now included in glibc:

Credits @diabonas for this change. Systemd wants us to include C.UTF8 by default and it seems the locale may be in included by glibc upstream in the future. To fix building and avoid nasty fixing in devtools, we include the locale in the package. See systemd/systemd#23252 (comment) FS#74864 : [systemd] >= 251 breaks devtools' locale

There is a pacsave for /etc/locale.conf as it has been removed from the filesystem package.

UPDATE: With filesystem 2022.06.08-2, it will automatically restore /etc/locale.conf if it did not already exist.

There is a pacnew for /etc/locale.gen. Please review it and regenerate your locale if necessary.

A post was split to a new topic: Firefox 104 - testing update issue

The only issue i’ve had recently, was that after a grub update - and some installement which needed to reconfigure grub (eg. kernel install or uninstall) - grub cfg was gone and the system’s werent be able to boot anymore.

both systems directly bootet into the UEFI. solution was to boot into the live media, chroot and reinstall grub / rebuild the cfg file with “grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg”

After that procedure, the systems where be able to boot again.

The bug showed itself not after that grub package update - but as soon as some other package needed to reconfigure grub, the systems where not be able to boot anymore.

2 Likes

Only on our unstable branch we updated grub. That issue never hit stable nor testing. See also here and here.

6 Likes

Thank you! Yes i was in the unstable branch for 1 week, but switched back to testing. Thank you and sorry for posting into the wrong thread :frowning:

Well, the issue is known but no solution yet found. In a nutshell: if you update the grub package via the package manager you actually only update it partly. The part you originally installed the bootloader to your master boot record (MBR) only gets updated when you reinstall it via grub-install. Hence a script on UEFI systems called a flag which is not present on that MBR install, so it crashed and didn’t regenerate the menu for you.

3 Likes

One issue for me - reinstalled with BTRFS and… hmmm shouldn’t advertise this… Timeshift wasn’t set up right and I recently cleared out the older snapshots… so it’s a fresh start for me!

Having said that, now it only takes 1 second to take a snapshot and another to restore.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Update requests for packages imported from Arch Linux

For me it didnt update until I manually did sudo pacman -Syyu (sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu to be precise even though when I checked before I was already on the testing branch) manually renewing the DB over the GUI or refreshing didnt help(not sure if I could caused that behavior somehow).

Also when I update via the Terminal Manjaro asks me if I want to use a new Steam Package should I do that or not? Did something happen to the old packages?

:: steam-manjaro durch multilib/steam ersetzen? [J/n] n
:: steam-native durch multilib/steam-native-runtime ersetzen? [J/n] n

Did you read the first post? :wink:

2 Likes

I did before I updated and than I forgot about it xD thx.

Also as with every second FireFox update or so the Display language was reset to English again, and I believe some search Providers where re-added to the settings again.
Am I the only one with this first issue, I think it does not always happen but I had this way back on my old PC when I still was on the Stable branch(maybe even wrote here or in the old Forum about it), I just dont bother most of the time with reporting it and just switch the language back, but if every one gets the language defaulted to English I believe that it would be good to know why that happens.

I had this problem too. After a fresh Installation of Manjaro i had start Firefox. It was in English. Then i update Manjaro and start Manjaro Settings to install Language Packs. That was a wrong way to bekome Firefox in a german Language. The best way is after installation to make a update, then the Language Packs and then you can start Firefox the first time in your language.

You can delete the .mozilla Folder, uninstall Firefo in x and install it again with a update of the language packs in Manjaro Settings.

Same thing happened to me on unstable…unfortunately I’ve never chrooted into an encrypted system so I just ended up reinstalling everything because it was “easier”. Never had such an issue on testing, so I think I’ll stay here…forever (or until retirement).

Installed the testing Kernel 5.19.4 on Manjaro stable because 5.19.1 still had some random black screens on my system.
Kernel 5.19.4 works flawlessly, no more video problems/black screens.

EDIT: Not so flawlessly after all. The issue is still there with 5.19.4, but it happens only after long sessions.