[Testing Update] 2022-08-23 - Kernels, GCC, Plasma 5.25.4, KDE Gear 22.08, KDE Frameworks 5.97, LibreOffice 7.4, AMDVLK

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Testing Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please RTFT (Read This Fine Thread) first before reporting the same issues over and over again!

:arrow_right: 2022-08-23

electron12, electron13, electron14 & electron16 have been dropped to the AUR

Unsupported Electron packages have been dropped from the official repos to the AUR. They no longer receive security updates and nothing in the repos depend on them.

If you have AUR packages depending on those versions, install the binary version from the AUR to replace them; i.e., electron16-bin.

See FS#75490 - electron12, electron13, electron14, electron16 are unsupported and vulnerable packages

End of Support for 15.x.y and 16.x.y

Electron 15.x.y and 16.x.y has reached end-of-support. As per Electron’s new 8-week cadence, we were supporting the latest four versions of Electron until May 2022. With this Electron 19 release, we’ll return to supporting the latest three major versions, as well as the alpha, beta, and nightly releases.

Release electron v19.0.0 · electron/electron · GitHub

2022-08-12

element-desktop dependency error
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing electron (20.0.0-1) breaks dependency 'electron19' required by element-desktop

The upstream package was already flagged out of date (it needs to be rebuilt against latest electron).

Workaround for now:

sudo pacman -Syy electron electron19 --asdeps
sudo pacman -Su

2022-08-04

Glibc 2.36 update will break EasyAntiCheat within Proton (should be fixed with glibc 2.36-2)

Temporary workaround for now is to use the flatpak version of steam:

sudo pacman -S flatpak --needed --noconfirm
sudo flatpak install com.valvesoftware.Steam -y

You can use flatseal (another flatpak app) to grant it access to your existing game library so you don’t have to re-download your games (add the game library install path under “Other files” under “Filesystem”).

sudo flatpak install com.github.tchx84.Flatseal -y

For advanced users (not recommended by us): patched glibc and lib32-glibc are available here. They remove the commit that broke EAC.

2022-07-27

Fixed: Pamac shows archlinux-keyring (20220713-2) and manjaro-keyring (20220514-2) as orphans
sudo pacman -D --asexplicit archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring

Resolved: w/ base 3-2 Revert changes:

sudo pacman -D --asdeps archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring

2022-07-16

wxWidgets 3.2 update may need manual intervention

Packages have been renamed from wxgtk- to wxwidgets-. The GTK2 frontend is no longer provided. If you have wxgtk2 installed, the upgrade will fail with:

In such case, uninstall wxgtk2 first and then proceed with the upgrade.

2022-07-13

Linux518: could not insert 'amd_pstate': No such device

With Kernel 5.18.11 there was added a regression to AMD P-State driver preventing it from loading.

2022-07-08

Wireplumber 0.4.11 may crash for GDM users

Currently there is an issue with 0.4.11 and GDM crashing on boot-up. More in the upstream bugtracker issue: wireplumber segfault: system boot and could see in my dmesg (#305) · Issues · PipeWire / wireplumber · GitLab

2022-06-07

Locale file changes

C.UTF8 locale is now included in glibc:

Credits @diabonas for this change. Systemd wants us to include C.UTF8 by default and it seems the locale may be in included by glibc upstream in the future. To fix building and avoid nasty fixing in devtools, we include the locale in the package. See systemd/systemd#23252 (comment) FS#74864 : [systemd] >= 251 breaks devtools' locale

There is a pacsave for /etc/locale.conf as it has been removed from the filesystem package.

UPDATE: With filesystem 2022.06.08-2, it will automatically restore /etc/locale.conf if it did not already exist.

There is a pacnew for /etc/locale.gen. Please review it and regenerate your locale if necessary.

Element Desktop 1.11.3 is out indeed, but doesn’t yet use Electron 20. Version 1.11.2 works fine with Electron 20, too, with modified .desktop file, according to my daily usage for a week or so.

or so will later use electron20

1 Like

typo in version warning numbers

>>> NOTE, 5.18.19 is the last maintenance release of the 517 kernel series.
    This kernel is now marked 'End Of Life' (EOL).

It is recommend to switch to the newer linux519 series:
    'sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux519'

Update asked me to replace kwrite with kate. Why? Is kwrite discontinued? Since I prefer kwrite, I chose No, and the update proceeded without a problem.

Then I got the question to choose a source for tessdata:

1) tesseract-data-afr  2) tesseract-data-amh  3) tesseract-data-ara  4) tesseract-data-asm  5) tesseract-data-aze
   6) tesseract-data-aze_cyrl  7) tesseract-data-bel  8) tesseract-data-ben  9) tesseract-data-bod  10) tesseract-data-bos
   11) tesseract-data-bre  12) tesseract-data-bul  13) tesseract-data-cat  14) tesseract-data-ceb  15) tesseract-data-ces
   16) tesseract-data-chi_sim  17) tesseract-data-chi_tra  18) tesseract-data-chr  19) tesseract-data-cos
   20) tesseract-data-cym  21) tesseract-data-dan  22) tesseract-data-dan_frak  23) tesseract-data-deu
   24) tesseract-data-deu_frak  25) tesseract-data-div  26) tesseract-data-dzo  27) tesseract-data-ell  28) tesseract-data-eng
   29) tesseract-data-enm  30) tesseract-data-epo  31) tesseract-data-equ  32) tesseract-data-est  33) tesseract-data-eus
   34) tesseract-data-fao  35) tesseract-data-fas  36) tesseract-data-fil  37) tesseract-data-fin  38) tesseract-data-fra
   39) tesseract-data-frk  40) tesseract-data-frm  41) tesseract-data-fry  42) tesseract-data-gla  43) tesseract-data-gle
   44) tesseract-data-glg  45) tesseract-data-grc  46) tesseract-data-guj  47) tesseract-data-hat  48) tesseract-data-heb
   49) tesseract-data-hin  50) tesseract-data-hrv  51) tesseract-data-hun  52) tesseract-data-hye  53) tesseract-data-iku
   54) tesseract-data-ind  55) tesseract-data-isl  56) tesseract-data-ita  57) tesseract-data-ita_old  58) tesseract-data-jav
   59) tesseract-data-jpn  60) tesseract-data-jpn_vert  61) tesseract-data-kan  62) tesseract-data-kat
   63) tesseract-data-kat_old  64) tesseract-data-kaz  65) tesseract-data-khm  66) tesseract-data-kir  67) tesseract-data-kmr
   68) tesseract-data-kor  69) tesseract-data-kor_vert  70) tesseract-data-lao  71) tesseract-data-lat  72) tesseract-data-lav
   73) tesseract-data-lit  74) tesseract-data-ltz  75) tesseract-data-mal  76) tesseract-data-mar  77) tesseract-data-mkd
   78) tesseract-data-mlt  79) tesseract-data-mon  80) tesseract-data-mri  81) tesseract-data-msa  82) tesseract-data-mya
   83) tesseract-data-nep  84) tesseract-data-nld  85) tesseract-data-nor  86) tesseract-data-oci  87) tesseract-data-ori
   88) tesseract-data-pan  89) tesseract-data-pol  90) tesseract-data-por  91) tesseract-data-pus  92) tesseract-data-que
   93) tesseract-data-ron  94) tesseract-data-rus  95) tesseract-data-san  96) tesseract-data-sin  97) tesseract-data-slk
   98) tesseract-data-slk_frak  99) tesseract-data-slv  100) tesseract-data-snd  101) tesseract-data-spa
   102) tesseract-data-spa_old  103) tesseract-data-sqi  104) tesseract-data-srp  105) tesseract-data-srp_latn
   106) tesseract-data-sun  107) tesseract-data-swa  108) tesseract-data-swe  109) tesseract-data-syr  110) tesseract-data-tam
   111) tesseract-data-tat  112) tesseract-data-tel  113) tesseract-data-tgk  114) tesseract-data-tgl  115) tesseract-data-tha
   116) tesseract-data-tir  117) tesseract-data-ton  118) tesseract-data-tur  119) tesseract-data-uig  120) tesseract-data-ukr
   121) tesseract-data-urd  122) tesseract-data-uzb  123) tesseract-data-uzb_cyrl  124) tesseract-data-vie
   125) tesseract-data-yid  126) tesseract-data-yor

This was overwhelming but at closer look, I recognized the Polish version, so I chose it.

Fixed with 5.18.19-3.

1 Like

Well Raw thumbnails has been fixed, yippeeee.
I notice the ‘Leave’ option has gone from desktop right-click menu.

It can be added back by you editing that Standard Menu Settings for Desktop Mouse Actions

4 Likes

I have some problems on wayland. When I launch a gtk app from a plasma panel(like steam, firefox, etc) I get “Cant find a display” error because where is no DISPLAY or WAYLAND_DISPLAY var in plasma-workspace env. If I do a check in Yakuake I get these vars successfully. So I have to run firefox or steam with DISPLAY=wayland-0.

its not that kwrite has been discontinued, now kate package provides both kate and kwrite. if you chose to not replace/remove kwrite, it mean both kate/kwrite will not be updated and will remain as 21.04.03 when the rest of KDE apps will be updated to 22.08.0. so no harm in replacing/removing kwrite when prompted in next update.

I found it too. Archlinux package also provides kwrite and kate both in the kate package. And I do not like this.

Why?

Kwrite is still there. It’s just part of the kate package now, instead of it’s own separate package.

For people who need just kwrite to edit things, kate is a redundant package but cannot be uninstalled.

Both applications share same dependencies, and are basically the same application to be fair, Kwrite just has a few less things. Not sure what you would gain by not having the Kate executable in the package (actually, 86KB). That’s not really an issue in my opinion, just don’t run Kate, run Kwrite.

2 Likes

Thanks my friend, I realised soon after I posted there has to be the option somewhere.

docker-compose version 2.10.0 broke the pull -function, but the old version 2.9.0 has no issue.

Do not push the version 2.10.0 into the stable branch and wait for the release of version 2.10.1 that already fixed this issue.

Thanks for making kernel 6.0 available. However, it looks like there is still some work pending.
Trying to install that kernel from Manjaro Settings, Kernels, I get

The following packages will be installed:
linux60
linux60-virtualbox-host-modules
linux60-headers

Starting
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
Packages (3) linux60-6.0.0rc2-1  linux60-headers-6.0.0rc2-1  linux60-virtualbox-host-modules-6.1.36-0.2
Total Download Size:   214.99 MiB
Total Installed Size:  327.65 MiB
:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
:: Retrieving packages...
linux60-6.0.0rc2-1-x86_64 downloading...
 linux60-headers-6.0.0rc2-1-x86_64 downloading...
 linux60-virtualbox-host-modules-6.1.36-0.2-x86_64 downloading...
checking keyring...
checking package integrity...
loading package files...
checking for file conflicts...
checking available disk space...
:: Processing package changes...
installing linux60...
Optional dependencies for linux60
    wireless-regdb: to set the correct wireless channels of your country [installed]
installing linux60-virtualbox-host-modules...
===> You must load vboxdrv module before starting VirtualBox:
===> # modprobe vboxdrv
installing linux60-headers...
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/6) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/6) Updating module dependencies...
(3/6) Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install --no-depmod nvidia/515.65.01 -k 6.0.0-1-MANJARO
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.0.0-1-MANJARO (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/515.65.01/build/make.log for more information.
==> WARNING: `dkms install --no-depmod nvidia/515.65.01 -k 6.0.0-1-MANJARO' exited 10
(4/6) Updating linux initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux60.preset: 'default'
-> -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 6.0.0-1-MANJARO
-> Running build hook: [base]
-> Running build hook: [systemd]
-> Running build hook: [autodetect]
-> Running build hook: [modconf]
-> Running build hook: [block]
-> Running build hook: [keyboard]
-> Running build hook: [keymap]
-> Running build hook: [filesystems]
==> ERROR: module not found: `nvidia'
==> ERROR: module not found: `nvidia_modeset'
==> ERROR: module not found: `nvidia_uvm'
==> ERROR: module not found: `nvidia_drm'
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64.img
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux60.preset: 'fallback'
-> -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 6.0.0-1-MANJARO
-> Running build hook: [base]
-> Running build hook: [systemd]
-> Running build hook: [modconf]
-> Running build hook: [block]
-> Running build hook: [keyboard]
-> Running build hook: [keymap]
-> Running build hook: [filesystems]
==> ERROR: module not found: `nvidia'
==> ERROR: module not found: `nvidia_modeset'
==> ERROR: module not found: `nvidia_uvm'
==> ERROR: module not found: `nvidia_drm'
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64-fallback.img
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
(5/6) Updating Kernel initcpios for Nvidia-DRM...
error: command failed to execute correctly
(6/6) Updating Grub-Bootmenu
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.19-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.19-x86_64.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Found Microsoft Windows XP Professional on /dev/sdb1
Found Manjaro Linux (21.2.1) on /dev/sdc1
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

Fertig ..

Looks like the nvidia driver package is not yet ready for kernel 6.0.

Also weird:
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/515.65.01/build/make.log for more information.

$ cat /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/515.65.01/build/make.log
cat: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/515.65.01/build/make.log: No such file or directory

Most modules have not been updated for 6.0 yet, as it’s still an RC kernel.

2 Likes