[Testing Update] 2022-04-28 - Kernels, GNOME 42.1 & NVIDIA

I just tried to install the update, before I mess up my system, I’m asking how to best resolve this dependency conflict:

sudo pacman -Syu                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing nvidia-utils (510.68.02-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=510.60.02' required by linux516-nvidia

I’m currently on the “Testing Update 2022-04-25” using GNOME.

Thank you very much :pray:

7 Likes

It worked, thank you so much :clap:

2 Likes

@Yochanan Unfortunately this update did not solve the problem of the Google Drive integration with nautilus stopped working. Maybe is it a local config file I need to remove? Regards.

Plasma and AMD Mesa driver here. Everything works for me, thanks.

1 Like

You can always try by yourself, by creating a test user, try on this fresh user, and see if the issue exists on this user, you’ll know if the issue is on the system or on your user.

Nice job and thank you guys! Bless your fingers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since previous update, kipi-plugins, libkipi and libmediawiki were orphaned, and then relegated to AUR packages. I removed them. But now, if on an image I try to share->imgur from Dolphin or export->imgur from Spectacle, it crashes, and doesn’t send images to imgur website like it would before. What is weird is that the options to send to external services are still there, despite the kipi plugin and dependencies being removed. Something is not right.

@omano what you describe is working for me and I also uninstalled the kipi packages

OK thanks, I reinstalled the AUR packages to test and it is not working. I’ll try to debug the issue on my side then.

//EDIT: indeed issue was on my side, errors about OpenGL, reboot fixed it.

avril 29 16:32:56 omano-nvme dolphin[53619]: Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DoubleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)
avril 29 16:33:13 omano-nvme spectacle[69917]: Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DoubleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)

I had the same issue. I opened Settings > Online accounts and I re-entered usernames and passwords for the Google accounts. After that, Google drive works again in Nautilus.

1 Like

I finally found a solution that worked for my case. For some reason I didn’t have the package installed gvfs-google and pamac install gvfs-google did the trick. I checked the presence of gvfs-goa also and that was there. The weird fact is I had this same problem in 3 different machines.

Always check optional dependencies depending on your needs. With gvfs, there are quite a few. Not everyone needs all of them.

Optional Deps   : gvfs-afc: AFC (mobile devices) support
                  gvfs-smb: SMB/CIFS (Windows client) support
                  gvfs-gphoto2: gphoto2 (PTP camera/MTP media player) support
                  gvfs-mtp: MTP device support
                  gvfs-goa: gnome-online-accounts (e.g. OwnCloud) support
                  gvfs-nfs: NFS support
                  gvfs-google: Google Drive support
                  gtk3: Recent files support

Currently we include all of them on the GNOME ISO due to user feedback:

3 Likes

Had the exact same issue on nemo (running cinnamon) as well. Ssme fix worked for me as well

Why linux518-nvidia listed in orphans?

pamac list -o                                                                                                                                                                                        ✔ 
autoconf        2.71-1         core       2.3 MB
automake        1.16.5-1       core       1.7 MB
bison           3.8.2-4        core       2.7 MB
flashrom        1.2-3          community  1.8 MB
flex            2.6.4-3        core       994.3 kB
libcbor         0.9.0-1        extra      149.4 kB
libjcat         0.1.11-1       community  502.4 kB
libsmbios       2.4.3-5        extra      1.0 MB
linux518-nvidia 510.68.02-0.2  extra      49.1 MB  <---- What are you doing here
pkgconf         1.8.0-1        core       165.5 kB
protobuf-c      1.4.0-3        extra      321.6 kB
yarn            1.22.18-1      community  5.3 MB

Just a guess but it maybe because 5.18 kernel has not been released as stable yet.

Depends on linux-518 and nvidia-utils=510.68.02

but I’m using the linux-518 with nvidia GPU

uname -a                                                                                                                                                                                            
Linux amroemad-aorus17gyc 5.18.0-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Apr 27 23:30:24 UTC 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Because it was installed as a dependency and the package depending on it is no longer installled (or there didn’t exist any such package in the first place).

linux518 (or any kernel for that matter) doesn’t list nvidia drivers as a dependency but it is required by linux518-nvidia:

$ pacman -Sii linux518
Depends On      : coreutils  linux-firmware  kmod  mkinitcpio>=27
Optional Deps   : wireless-regdb: to set the correct wireless channels of your country
Required By     : amdgpu-experimental  linux518-acpi_call  linux518-nvidia  linux518-nvidia-470xx  linux518-tp_smapi  linux518-vhba-module  netfilter-fullconenat  virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-utils-nox

About

My ungoogled chromium (don’t have this issue with firefox nor falkon, so far i tested; besides falkon never creates the title to save, for a long time now, but that’s another story) also can’t save as… (and i don’t have telegram installed), but if i create a new folder it works again and remembers also the folder from the last time…