[Testing Update] 2022-02-09 - Kernels, Haskell, Cutefish 0.7, Deepin, Firefox, Maui 2.1.1, Systemd

plasma-desktop 5.24 is available in the unstable branch, how to check: Manjaro - Branch Compare

The update went through without any major showstoppers.

A few things I noticed during the update process:

Applying kernel sysctl settings...
Couldn't write '1' to 'kernel/unprivileged_userns_clone', ignoring: No such file or directory

What does that mean?

Second, I seem to still have two graphics drivers in DKMS config:

==> dkms install --no-depmod nvidia/510.39.01 -k 5.17.0-1-MANJARO
==> dkms install --no-depmod nvidia/495.46 -k 5.17.0-1-MANJARO
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.17.0-1-MANJARO (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/495.46/build/make.log for more information.
==> WARNING: `dkms install --no-depmod nvidia/495.46 -k 5.17.0-1-MANJARO' exited 10

As I am currently using driver 510.39.01: How can I remove 495.46 from the DKMS config and prevent this error from occurring?

And finally, I got this during the required reboot while the system was shut down:

[35509.312925] sd-umoun[56020]: Failed to unmount /oldroot: Device or resource busy
[35509.317505] sd-umoun[56021]: Failed to unmount /oldroot/sys: Device or resource busy
[35509.322349] shutdown[1]: Failed to finalize file systems, ignoring.

Do I have to do anything here?

remove first ( see with yay or pamac or trizen )
nvidia-dkms

you cant build dkms with old version nvidia ( 495.46 series ): failed to build , exit 10
you only get exit different from 0

Indeed, it looks like I had to (re-)install nvidia-dkms. With that, pamac removed the 495.46 package and re-installed nvidia-dkms and nvidia-utils for driver 510.47.03.

However, it was not able to remove the kernel module properly, the kernel complained about kernel module 510.36 not matching 510.47.03 in the dmesg output.
As a consequence, I got no graphical desktop.

Reinstalling nvidia-dkms using yay in the terminal seems to have fixed that now, fortunately.

Thanks a lot!

A post was split to a new topic: When will plasma 5.24 available in stable

13 posts were split to a new topic: Possibly missing firmware for module: xhci_pci

This is random error because of Nvidia driver (apparently it never does that without Nvidia driver installed). There is no solution, sometimes it does that on reboot/shutdown, sometimes it doesn’t, completely random with no workaround (you could read many attempts with “solutions” but in reality there is no solution to my knowledge).

//EDIT: For the warnings on fallback image creation, I’m using a good fix (I’m doing that since long time because it cuts down image creation a lot, especially when you have multiple kernels): I change the preset of each kernel to only build the default image, and NOT the fallback image :rofl:

Example for /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux515.preset

PRESETS=('default')

Why I’m doing that is also because I never had to use the fallback kernel image, and the day I tried it didn’t even boot :clown_face:

thanks for the update, my sddm-greeter was dumping core on boot/start after the last one

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction :+1:

Indeed, there appears to be a solution provided by Jonas Malhaco Filho here FS#63697 : systemd 243.0-1 poweroff/reboot umount errors

So what does that mean?
Create a script with the following contents

#!/bin/sh
# Remove all Nvidia modules on shutdown
# to avoid errors like
# [35509.312925] sd-umoun[56020]: Failed to unmount /oldroot: Device or resource busy
# [35509.317505] sd-umoun[56021]: Failed to unmount /oldroot/sys: Device or resource busy
# [35509.322349] shutdown[1]: Failed to finalize file systems, ignoring.
#
for MODULE in nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia
do
rmmod $MODULE
done

Name this script, for example, nvidia.shutdown, make it executable as usual and place it in /usr/lib/systemd/system-shutdown.

Another version of this script was provided by Ivan Layapunov: FS#63697 : systemd 243.0-1 poweroff/reboot umount errors

Done. Error messages gone :slight_smile:

5 Likes

OK then there might be a solution now. Need to try this in the long run to confirm it works (the issue is sporadic on my system, most of the time I don’t have the issue, but once in a while it does it).

Anyone getting unusually high CPU usage when opening tabs in Firefox 97.0.1?

you mean :point_up: anyway can`t confirm this issue

No. This is the Testing Update thread. :wink:

This update fixed the issues I had here: [Testing Update] 2022-02-06 - Kernels, Pamac, Cleanups - #16 by sdwolfz

Thanks @dvgme for pointing out dash-to-dock!

I think they always wait for the first point release. So you’ll never get the 5.24 update, but you will get the 5.24.1 initial bugfix. I wish they weren’t this careful on testing, but I guessI could switch to unstable!

Yup, you always have the option to do that if you have the pressing need to try out Plasma 5.24 right now. I just remembered that it’s typical of Manjaro team to wait until the first couple bugfix releases before pushing a new Plasma version to testing and eventually to stable. :smile:

@philm after this update kmail crashes when opening a GPG-encrypted message:

This is upstream. The workaround is to downgrade qgpgme to v1.16.0-3.

@philm , even with the new messagelib kmail is still buggy.
After updating messagelib to v21.12.2 and qgpgme to v1.17.0, the encrypted emails are correctly opened, but another bug causes kmail to crash as soon as you start typing the recipient’s address.

Anybody else experiencing this?

For me the workaround is to dowgrade both the packages and stick with messagelib 21.12.1 and qgpgme 1.16.0.

i have checked for orphans

sudo pacman -Qdt

gnome-common 3.18.0-4
kvantum-theme-matcha 20190810-1
kvantum-theme-matchama 20191118-1

sudo pacman -Rs gnome-common
vérification des dépendances…
:: lv2 peut nécessiter python-pygments: for lv2specgen.py

Paquets (10) autoconf-archive-1:2021.02.19-4  glib2-docs-2.70.3-1
             gtk-doc-1.33.2-1  intltool-0.51.0-6  itstool-1:2.0.7-1
             mallard-ducktype-1.0.2-8  python-anytree-2.8.0-5
             python-pygments-2.11.2-1  yelp-tools-41.0-1  gnome-common-3.18.0-4

Taille totale supprimée :  38,84 MiB

is it safe to remove all, base is Xfce , but i would like to be clarify before doing any thing about this list

Yes, the Kvantum themes are no longer in the repos and gnome-common is only required for building packages.