[Testing Update] 2022-01-24 - OpenSearch, Kernels, VirtualBox, Systemd, Firefox, Linux-Firmware

I noticed unmounting a USB storage triggers a Plasma crash/restart. On current Testing branch and on my parents computer on Stable branch (but still not to current Stable branch though). Old issue then, still not fixed.

//EDIT: this 427945 – Plasma Crashes when plugging in or unplugging removable drive

2 Likes

Welcome to the club :wink:
I’ve been suffering from this for ages…

To me this is very recent never had this issue since years I use KDE, but it seems the bug is opened since more than a year on KDE. It also seems some kind of patch is on its way as the bug as been closed.

1 Like

Now I get it, the reason why I’ve been observing it for so long is that I use an external hard drive with ext4 partition on it for regular backups, and on every unmount a crash of Plasma occurs. I kinda got used to it eventually since anyway I use a bunch of out-of-tree widgets that I didn’t want to remove in order to find the cause of these crashes, so it means that I don’t have to do it actually, and that the fix is on its way, which is nice. Thanks for the link.

Good news: There is kernel 5.17-rc1, and this kernel is working well so far. It even has made it into Manjaro:

Of course, the updating frequency of that package will differ from the other kernel versions.

In that regard, it is a bit annoying that pamac requests a reboot every time one of the kernel packages is updated, no matter if this was the kernel currently in use or not.

Example: I am currently using kernel 5.17-rc1. Whenever there is an update for, let’s say, kernel 5.10, 5.15, or 5.16, pamac prompts me to reboot.
That does not entirely seem to make sense as I am, as said, currently not running any of those kernels.

You can just… not reboot?

5 Likes

You should reboot if any files in use by the system are updated, not just the kernel.

2 Likes

Also I think it tells you that you need to reboot for all changes to take effect. Not sure about the message I usually don’t use Pamac to upgrade the system but I recall it just informs you that you need to reboot for the applied changes, and you can just click no/cancel in the prompt.

Brave browser now works with moving tabs around, perfect! :slight_smile:

I froze my version of the linux-firmware package in late 2020 because iwlwifi was messed up for AX200/AX201 series of cards. How will this split of the package impact this?

I am using AX200 and have had no problems for months.

While we are at it, we could consider marking 5.15 as LTS (it is in the longterm maintenance list on upstream website), and perhaps recommended too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s already an open issue:

A post was split to a new topic: Consider continued support of kernels <5.4

I had some unfortunate journalctl spam as of late…this dbus message is spammed 10 times per second and I haven’t found a cause yet:

dbus-daemon[537]: [system] Rejected: destination has a full message queue, 0 matched rules; type="error", sender="(unset)" ((bus)) interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" requested_reply="1" destination=":1.39" (uid=1000 pid=1021 comm="xfwm4 ")

…probably another firefox video memory issue, but that’s tbd. Rebooting clears for now (until it happens again.)

@philm, I don’t suppose the 510 beta nvidia drivers can be added to the hardware configuration options in the manjaro settings manager, could they?

I found this item and thought it’d be worth a try. What’s your opinion, just try the aur for now?

No they will not add them, I’m pretty sure of that, Manjaro team doesn’t want to have the nightmare it was when they supported every existing drivers (at some point there was something like 6 to 10 different drivers available). They recently added 470 as a courtesy for people getting :point_right: :ok_hand: by Nvidia by the not so old card unsupported in latest driver, but I highly doubt they will add another one, until it is the one used in Arch.

Using the AUR drivers can be a pain if you don’t have experience dealing with that.

No point since 510.47.03 is released, however no announcement post has been created yet.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Testing Update] 2022-02-01 - Kernels, Pipewir 0.3.44, Qt5, Mesa 21.3.5, Wine 7.0