[Testing Update] 2021-11-16 - KDE Frameworks, Cinnamon, Haskell, Thunderbird

As an information if others have the same issue: Since the update to KDE 5.23.3 (on Wayland, Linux Kernel 5.15.2) almost every shutdown directly initiated from KDE takes 1:30 min for me. This problem is already reported by others on the Arch Forum.

There is a bug report available at KDE :
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=445449

and hopefully a fix for this problem (but not confirmed if this one solves this issue):

1 Like

Think only or even saw it in logs?

it could be in other kernels also.

may be to save all your data (export bookmarks, all other needed data), to reset firefox settings and to import your data back again?

With icons I see that

~/Desktop ❯ pamac info $(pamac search libreoffice -i -q) | grep Ver
Version               : 7.1.7-1
has no problems with icons on the same Breeze Dark theme

But I see probably the same problematic icons as Krusader has if to select the Breeze theme (but I can't find theme selection in Krusader's settings)

Zoomed in:

Other themes are not so close to the problematic icons

and

EDIT:

I looks like it is not the Krusader's issue only: the Wireshark app in that list also

Zoomed in:

Is this the right place to report that the new 5.16rc1 experimental kernel has problems with nvidia?

What version of the nvidia driver do you use?

495.44-5 is installed by default, but shouldn’t the kernel manager automatically install 470xx with the new kernel?

Orientation of screen via virtualized instance still not working for me, but it’s not hardlocking the DM anymore… Any click returns the screen to the previous setting and all is good.

So that’s a giant step in being more user friendly, not needing to swap terminals etc. :slight_smile:

No,
just wait until the nvidia 495 is built for kernel516, for now use older kernel

Oh. Yeah was just testing the new kernel.

Nothing in 5.14 kernel

(base) [firestar@ThinkPad ~]$ journalctl -k -o short-monotonic --no-host --no-pager -b 0 | grep --ignore-case "gpu hang"
(base) [firestar@ThinkPad ~]$ 

Latte Dock 0.10.4 is out. It is available in Arch linux repositories. Could you add it in Manjaro testing branch ?

Thanks.

Ok, it is available in the unstable branch. Perhaps Philm can add it in the testing branch as it is not something that can ‘break’ the system. The new version brings bug fixes.

Previous announcement you were also asking same kind of things, so same answer

Testing will get it when it’s deemed OK to go in Testing, refer, again, to the following diagram

1 Like

It may looks like that at a first sight, but bugfixes could fix one bugs, and introduce another, that’s the unstabletestingstable package flow is used for. If a package will not be recognized as heavily bugged in current branch, it could propagate into next one branch.

You need to wait some time while possible lacks/drawbacks in that version could be recognized or not before a package will reach next branch in the flow.

Also you can switch to unstable updates branch to get it and to report problems you might have after that switch. And if you did not found a lack after 5 minutes after a package installation, it is not meaning yet that a drawbacks are absent.

Ok, no problem, I’ll wait.

Then just do a sudo pacman -U https://manjaro.moson.eu/unstable/community/x86_64/latte-dock-0.10.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst ?

2 Likes

Kernel 5.16 is available in the Testing repository and can be installed via mhwd already.

However, it looks like there are some issues in the packages. I tried building the Nvidia driver 390 against this kernel, and at first, there seems to be some include paths not set appropriately:

In Datei, eingebunden von /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia/nv-frontend.c:12:
/home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/common/inc/os-interface.h:27:10: schwerwiegender Fehler: stdarg.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
   27 | #include <stdarg.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~
Kompilierung beendet.
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:287: /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia/nv-frontend.o] Fehler 1
make[2]: *** Es wird auf noch nicht beendete Prozesse gewartet....
In Datei, eingebunden von /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/common/inc/nv-linux.h:16,
                 von /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia/nv-gpu-numa.c:24:
/home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/common/inc/nv.h:18:10: schwerwiegender Fehler: stdarg.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
   18 | #include <stdarg.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~
Kompilierung beendet.
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:287: /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia/nv-gpu-numa.o] Fehler 1
In Datei, eingebunden von /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia/nv-instance.c:12:
/home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/common/inc/os-interface.h:27:10: schwerwiegender Fehler: stdarg.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
   27 | #include <stdarg.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~
Kompilierung beendet.
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:287: /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia/nv-instance.o] Fehler 1
In Datei, eingebunden von /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia/nv.c:12:
   27 | #include <stdarg.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~
Kompilierung beendet.
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:287: /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia/nv.o] Fehler 1
In Datei, eingebunden von /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia/nv-acpi.c:14:
   27 | #include <stdarg.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~
Kompilierung beendet.
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:287: /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia/nv-acpi.o] Fehler 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1846: /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.16/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.144-no-compat32/kernel] Fehler 2
make[1]: Verzeichnis „/usr/lib/modules/5.16.0-1-MANJARO/build“ wird verlassen
make: *** [Makefile:81: modules] Fehler 2
==> FEHLER: Ein Fehler geschah in build().
    Breche ab...

The culprit is the Makefile in /usr/lib/modules/5.16.0-1-MANJARO/build. When the Makefile from /usr/lib/modules/5.15.2-2-MANJARO/build is used instead, the build succeeds as the includes are found, but then another error occurs due to missing files:

/bin/sh: Zeile 1: ./tools/bpf/resolve_btfids/resolve_btfids: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

The problem here is with Makefile.modfinal in /usr/lib/modules/5.16.0-1-MANJARO/build/scripts. It contains the following entry starting on line 42:

if [ -f vmlinux ]; then						\
		LLVM_OBJCOPY="$(OBJCOPY)" $(PAHOLE) -J $(PAHOLE_FLAGS) --btf_base vmlinux $@; \
		$(RESOLVE_BTFIDS) -b vmlinux $@; 			\
	else								\
		printf "Skipping BTF generation for %s due to unavailability of vmlinux\n" $@ 1>&2; \
	fi;

$(RESOLVE_BTFIDS) points to ./tools/bpf/resolve_btfids/resolve_btfids which appears to be missing in the entire /usr/lib/modules/5.16.0-1-MANJARO tree.

Again, when /usr/lib/modules/5.16.0-1-MANJARO/build/scripts/Makefile.modfinal is replaced by the same file from /usr/lib/modules/5.15.2-2-MANJARO/build/scripts which does not have the reference to $(RESOLVE_BTFIDS), I am able to finalize building my package.

Amendment:
Looks like the line

install -Dt "${_builddir}/tools/bpf/resolve_btfids" tools/bpf/resolve_btfids/resolve_btfids

is missing in PKGBUILD for the linux516 package, in section package_linux516-headers().

With the resolve_btfids tool installed properly, there is at least no need to mess around with /usr/lib/modules/5.16.0-1-MANJARO/build/scripts/Makefile.modfinal.

1 Like

Hi,

From the first post:

That’s at least good news although a bit surprising for me because apparently, tools/bpf/resolve_btfids/resolve_btfids is called when you invoke /usr/lib/modules/5.16.0-1-MANJARO/build/scripts/Makefile.modfinal but the package does not install that tool by default.

And, it also looks like linux516-headers sets the include paths different from linux515-headers, causing standard declarations like

#include <stdarg.h>

to fail because the compiler does not seem to know /usr/lib/modules/5.16.0-1-MANJARO/build/include/linux/ and consequently, does not find the headers. Did you hard-wire the include paths, like

#include "/usr/lib/modules/5.16.0-1-MANJARO/build/include/linux/stdarg.h"

or

#include "/usr/lib/modules/5.16.0-1-MANJARO/build/include/linux/stddef.h"

in the Nvidia 470 driver package, to be able to build it?

Update:
Indeed, with hard-wiring the #includes for stdarg.h and stddef.h to /usr/lib/modules/5.16.0-1-MANJARO/build/include/linux/ in the driver source, I was able to compile the Nvidia 390 driver against kernel 5.16-RC1.
So far, it runs without problems.