[Testing Update] 2021-08-13 - Kernels, Mate 1.26.0, Thunderbird, Firefox, AMDVLK, Nvidia

The xhci_pci problem seems to have recurred with kernel 5.14:

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux514.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.14-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.14-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 5.14.0-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [systemd]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: xhci_pci
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.14-x86_64.img
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux514.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.14-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.14-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 5.14.0-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [systemd]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: xhci_pci
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.14-x86_64-fallback.img
==> Image generation successful

See also Xhci_pci is missed in Linux Kernel 5.8 for previous kernels. I assume that this is a similar problem.

UPDATE:
From one of the links in that thread, it looks like installing upd72020x-fw from AUR suppresses this error message.

1 Like

There is an issue with the theme colours when using breeze decorations. A new update for manjaro-kde-settings was pushed already yesterday, so it is not strictly related to today’s update, nevertheless I think it can be considered part of it.

Please read about it in this thread:

Please test if it got fixed in 510, 513

Indeed, the error message only appears for 514. For 54, 510 and 513, it does not appear.

3 Likes

i know partial upgrades are a no go.

but any idea which packages need suppressing to avoid this behavior till it gets sorted out, since these are only theme files

It’s manjaro-kde-settings but you do not need to skip it completely, just hack one file of it.
The workaround is posted in the thread:

1 Like

thanks man will look into it when i upgrade,

there was also a complaint about SDDM theme;

The error message will be disappear if 5.14 rc6 is out.
In short, when linux514 is updated

1 Like

Indeed, i have this package installed earlier and that error didn’t show during update.

1 Like

And the issue is still very much ongoing :C

I tried Breeze theme instead of Breath2, but that didn’t help the crazy brightness either.

Please post contents of
/usr/share/wallpapers/Breath2/contents/images/ folder
and
/usr/share/sddm/themes/breath2/theme.conf
/usr/share/sddm/themes/breath2/theme.conf.user
files

/usr/share/sddm/themes/breath2/theme.conf
[General]
showlogo=hidden
type=image
color=#1abc9c
background=/usr/share/wallpapers/Breath2/contents/images/3200x2000.png
fontSize=10
needsFullUserModel=false
/usr/share/sddm/themes/breath2/theme.conf.user
[General]
background=3200x2000.png
type=image

try to remove theme.conf.user and run sddm again (and set theme to breath2)

Still looks quite washed out:

Here’s how bad it gets with a picture I set myself:

Here’s that picture for reference. It used to work beautifully when there was only the blur:

Edit: There’s also a rather strong shadow on the time and date after you wait out for the login prompt to go away:

That’s quite strange. I’m pretty sure we haven’t touched anything regarding the sddm colors/theme recently. Will look closely tomorrow, thanks for reporting this.

Upgrade process had no issues as usual on both machines. However, the update changed the default browser to Ungoogled Chromium (which I installed from chaotic-aur) and splash screen to Breath2 on my laptop, but I successfully reverted them back to what I previously set before the update (Firefox and Breeze). That might be caused by manjaro-kde-settings, so I’ve removed that and hopefully my settings should stay on the next testing update.

The weird thing is I got a “Welcome to Yakuake” dialog on both machines the next time I logged in to KDE Plasma after the upgrade, despite that I’ve already used Yakuake on a daily basis.

1 Like

It is a warning, not an error. Thus, i wouldn’t ever recommend installing some package - especially from aur - just to get rid of the warning. Only install that if you need the xhci_pci module - which probably isn’t the case for most people. As long as all your USB ports work as expected, you can ignore the warning.

I also had problems with washed colors…
I don’t know if its related, but I had troubles with latte dock also.
When I downgraded it to 0.9.12, washed colors were gone too.

As I said, I’m not expert, I tried bunch of other stuff before, so maybe it is not related.

EDIT: I also downgraded gtk3

On Wayland or on x-11 (HDR-drivers in Wayland thingy???)

It’s on X11