[Testing Update] 2021-07-21 - Nvidia, Kernels, Wine, Virtualbox, Pipewire, Systemd

On the bright side, right now the stable branch is on 248.3, so we wouldn’t have to downgrade anything for them.

I would recommend waiting till chromium fixes the issue, or at the very least wait till the fix is merged then include it in the chromium build.

Arch already applied the workaround in their Chromium package.

No idea about Chrome, as that’s an AUR package.

2 Likes

The update to chromium 92.0.4515.107-3 should fix it.
I’ve just upload it to testing.

3 Likes

Is there a way to hold on to Nvidia 470.42 line? Version 470.57 is a stable release which lacks of many goodies that 470.42 beta has, especially many wayland improvements. With 470.57 line it’s a step back :frowning: , unless they add those features.
Please, correct me if I’m wrong.

quick fyi: current version of vivaldi is based on chromium 91.0.4472.166. i can confirm it is not currently affected by this issue. no idea when it will be updated though.

I think the beta changes are included:

The NVIDIA 470.57.02 Linux driver is out today as the first stable version in the NVIDIA 470 driver series. This carries forward the earlier beta changes around XWayland acceleration, new Vulkan extensions, and numerous other improvements

Source

1 Like

Thanks for checking, I know and tested Vivaldi successfully. My post is a bit misleading suggesting that they currently don’t work.

Not recommended due to security issues Security Bulletin: NVIDIA GPU Display Drivers - July 2021 | NVIDIA

Confirmed it is unaffected, I think they are releasing their Stable version approx. 2 weeks after Chrome (based on 92), so that would be 3-4 August, in that week.

Has anyone tested Wayland on the Nvidia driver using this update? Does it work properly now?

NVIDIA worked properly before. It’s just XWayland that doesn’t work properly due to lacking acceleration.

Wait so XWayland isn’t included?

12 EOL? Why? o_O

because it’s no LTS and the successor is deemed stable. It’s common practice (and not coming from manjaro but upstream, see https://www.kernel.org/ )

3 Likes

successor is 13?

exactly (or try 5.14RC2 if you are feeling adventurous ^^)

XWayland acceleration works now.

I’ve tested it out, I still can’t use Wayland though, a lot of software simply doesn’t work (which is not fault of NVIDIA, I’ve tested Wayland on Intel, AMD and Nouveau)

Thank you very much to the team for the hard work, everything seems by okay. FYI my machine is nothing fancy but here the hardware for reference: Chipset MB B550 Rog, Ryzen 3600 +nvidia gforce 1650 gddr6. I have not tested XWayland yet.
Side note: I had to disable Xwayland on my other rig, Laptop Dell. with intel apu inside because the system comes irresponsible with some apps and freeze the machine. Is using Xorg now without issues.

?
Xwayland is an X Server that runs under Wayland.

1 Like

I mean Wayland, sorry