[Testing Update] 2021-07-11 - Cinnamon, Linux513, Gnome 40.3, KDE-Git

I was going through the thread before doing some updates and I saw:

Question:

The title is “Python 3.9 Requires Rebuilds”

but the code uses: /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages

Can you please clarify/confirm or is it a typo?

Thank you

how do i find the cinnamon testing iso links

There aren’t any…

that 3.8 is a search pattern to find packages that use 3.8

1 Like

My Gnome Extensions no longer work after the update. Turning on extensions like Dash to Panel does nothing. Refreshing the Extensions page flips the toggles of extensions back to the “OFF” status.

I had to manually move over the configuration of pulseeffects to the new easyeffects:

cp -rpd ~/.config/PulseEffects ~/.config/easyeffects

and then I had to add the plugins myself (it did not load them automatically, neither after restarting it).

The settings of my preset were simply ignored: I had to set all values again, plugin by plugin.

If I set a plugin to “Bypass”, the next time I start the app (even when the service is still running) that plugin is activated again - that is: the bypass setting is not kept.
I had to un-load those plugins completely.

Also, I had to clean up the old .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart and have EasyEffects create the new one from the setting menu (“Start Service at Login”).

2 Likes

Repost from previous thread:

For those having the Nvidia module warning, can you reply about the mkinitcpio.conf file? Do you have the Nvidia modules defined in there? I don’t, and I don’t have the warning about this, so maybe it is related? in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf I have MODULES=() (maybe those who don’t have the issue can also tell their configuration too). I also disabled the fallback images generation but I don’t think it is relevant as you have the warning on the normal image apparently.

Are you using nvidia with plasma or gnome on wayland? If you’re on plasma, can you tell me what you did. I’m experiencing glitches with the taskbar and the minimizing of some windows.

That’s because PulseEffects was using Gstreamer plugins, EasyEffects is using Pipewire plugins. The old presets no longer are compatible.

1 Like

I’m on Gnome, sorry. I followed these instructions. Maybe have a look to be sure?

How does the new xwayland work with gnome? Are there any showstoppers that hinder productivity?

After applying the update and reboot, I have the following warnings in journal:

Jul 12 13:04:15 systemd-udevd[577]: vboxnetctl: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules:3 Only network interfaces can be renamed, ignoring NAME="vboxnetctl".
Jul 12 13:04:15 systemd-udevd[557]: vboxdrv: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules:1 Only network interfaces can be renamed, ignoring NAME="vboxdrv".
Jul 12 13:04:15 systemd-udevd[564]: vboxdrvu: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules:2 Only network interfaces can be renamed, ignoring NAME="vboxdrvu".
Jul 12 13:04:16 systemd-udevd[575]: vboxdrv: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules:1 Only network interfaces can be renamed, ignoring NAME="vboxdrv".
Jul 12 13:04:16 systemd-udevd[573]: vboxnetctl: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules:3 Only network interfaces can be renamed, ignoring NAME="vboxnetctl".
Jul 12 13:04:16 systemd-udevd[558]: vboxdrvu: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules:2 Only network interfaces can be renamed, ignoring NAME="vboxdrvu".
1 Like

Yes, that warning appears only if nvidia modules are listed in mkinitcpio file.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming.

Currently everything is working well except for two things:

• fractional scaling still causes blur for xwayland apps (electron stuff, Webstorm, …)
  • pipewire started producing screetching sounds through my bluetooth headphones all of a sudden (which I’m not sure is related)

Everything else seemse to work pretty well, if not better than before.

Also. I have an optimus laptop and my external monitor seems to be working fine on HMDI :thinking:

@eugen-b, can you do a git-bisect between 1.20.11 and 1.20.12? You can use xorg-server-git PKGBUILD as base and change the source URL to _srcurl="git+https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver.git#commit=COMMITSHA and use the shasum of the git bisect output replacing COMMITSHA as needed until you find the issue. Then post the findings upstream.

2 Likes

Almost the same. Optimus, hybrid mode, external monitor (via DP) works. I bet this is due to the difference in the way Nvidia connected to screen. My HDMI/DP are connected to Intel. Failed cases are likely with a connection to Nvidia directly.

I think the HDMI port is connected to my nvidia card in my laptop (not sure though). It’s a Dell Precision 5540.

I will try to find the time next week when my vacation starts.