[Testing Update] 2021-04-23 - Kernels, Mesa 21.0.3, KDE Apps 21.04, KDE-Dev, Python, Haskell

I have problems at login on Wayland it hangs for a lot of seconds and then proceeds flawlessly.
I am of the impression there is something happening with dbus (xde-desktop-portal-gtk maybe?), but i don’t know what to do.

Can somebody help me on that, please?
This is my journalctl -xe right after i took the control back: https://pastebin.com/raw/AUjzCjkQ

at line 2416 it stops hanging

EDIT:
disabling the extensions doesn’t help.
logging in with a newly created account doesn’t hang nearly as much

EDIT2: my fault, i’m sorry. I forgot i did (wrongly) add GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 to my envars.conf in hope of forcing its use. I guess it didn’t work well :sweat:

Why latest pacman-mirrors pkg not included on this snapshot?

I see no major issues tested on unstable

So were nvidia drivers really rolled back to 460? @philm’s post says otherwise:

but in all cases update with downgrade was successful, without downgrade created an issue. Since nobody from here can ensure that everybody will have downgrade option enabled in pamac or use -Syyuu and lack of downgrade causes serious issues for Nvidia users (excluded legacy drivers), this is a huge issue and big showstopper. Such update shouldn’t go to stable branch.

Usually some small downgrades don’t mess the update. If someone doesn’t use it, they will have a newer package as in repo and if the newer package was working fine, there is no issue. In recent update, downgrade is causing the issue, so we need to know why the downgrade happened (since the announcement doesn’t show it), it may be a simple mistake… and what Manjaro devs are doing to avoid the downgrade breakage issue.

I personally am waiting for explanation and don’t want to downgrade nvidia drivers. This update is a serious mess that needs to be resolved somehow and I’m surprised that Manjaro devs are not speaking about it. So what now? Let’s ruin the system of the stable users that have nvidia and don’t use downgrade?

This is the Testing branch. Things like this will happen. The faulty Nvidia driver will not make it to stable branch until it gets fixed, so stable branch users will not have to worry about downgrading.

3 Likes

But is the Nvidia driver faulty? The announcement post doesn’t suggest that and shows a normal update. So what is wrong here? A mistake in announcement? Or mistake of downgrade? What is happening here really?

The nvidia driver had a null pointer bug in it that affects certain monitors/screens. Not every set up is affected so that’s why it only got picked up on testing. That’s what I read anyway, the issue is reported on nvidia and arch forums as well so it’s an nvidia issue not manjaro

Thanks for the info. So the there are two serious mistakes in this update:

• lack of proper info in the announcement
  • the breakage made by the downgrade (usually downgrade doesn’t cause breakages), which could have been foreseen, given by the fact that nvidia has kernel modules, so kernel update without updated kernel modules will break the driver (nvidia downgrade is obligatory in this update, which wasn’t stated in the announcement).

Sometimes I don’t get you at all. It was reported here that there are issues. I also noted to do a sudo pacman -Syyuu as we also updated the kernels. The announcement was done on the 23rd and the downgrade of Nvidia on the 24th. If you compare the nvidia drivers I see no issue in stable when doing the update:

linux511-nvidia
repository : extra
Stable : 460.67-9
Testing : 460.73.01-1
Unstable : 460.73.01-1

Maybe subscribe to manjaro-packages to get realtime updates on what we do.

7 Likes

Mesa got a proper fix. Do a sudo pacman -Syyuu as a revert in lib32 packages was not needed.

4 Likes

But why it was removed from unstable ? :-/ I always thought that an unstable branch is for people who expect an unstable system. In that case, this is not true: Manjaro - Fresh & Stable

Unstable rather stands for “not tested at all”. Now that we know it has issues, it is dropped.

2 Likes

i just miss how arch forums treat these drama queens

1 Like

I just ran updates a moment ago, and everything went smooth. The only thing is I couldn’t find gtk3-widget-factory since one of the updates from the past month. Anyone know if it got moved to a separate package or a reason why it got removed?

I see GTK Widget Factory (GTK4) in repos, wouldn’t that work?

Are you for real? Do you consider it a proper and official announcement of the issue? Sure, it was mentioned in the middle of multhreaded topic where people were informing about various issues. I did read it but as always with similar topics, there are many reports that don’t concern me directly, so I filter it. In my case, I didn’t have any issues with Nvidia, some did. How on earth would I know this will result in official downgrade for all of us? I don’t mean that this was a bad decision. You need to consider all of us, so this is fine, and you did a good job. I’m just saying, this wasn’t clearly stated that you will do this. Especially, that the top post of the announcement didn’t say a word about it and even listed out the regular update of the 465 line.

I read and read your post again, I failed to find it. Or you meant that you advise us to do that every time kernel updates are involved? If so, I missed, and I bet many missed it as well. In my case, if there is no clear, bolder warning in the announcement that we have to downgrade packages or else we get borked out system, I don’t use downgrade.

Please, don’t read this post as an argument. I merely point out that this announcement wasn’t clear at all and in fact, this was misleading in some points. You must understand that many of us are just a regular user who don’t read into details of many bug reports so carefully so we simply are clueless. We expect that the announcement of the update will point out things we need to know and this one was lacking, at least in my opinion.

My point is, your announcements are important to us and not everyone of testing users is sitting on the forums day and night analyzing all threads and topics in community and understanding of all intricacies. That is why we rely on the official announcements that they will say about all unusual actions we must take if some updates bring some unusual changes as the downgrade of the driver line.

It was a message later on in this thread. #30

I do think that the OP should’ve been altered to mention about a downgrade right when the drivers were downgraded in the repos, not half a day after.

gtk-widget-factory was part of gtk3, but the docs and demos were split out of the main package recently. Now it’s gtk3-widget-factory included with gtk3-demos. The same happened with gtk4.

1 Like

How did you get text reflow to work? Doesn’t seem to work in my Konsole, maybe I’m missing some setting.

Too late, I had to reinstall my OS because of that :rage:

I’ve updated now the second post. However it was clear why Nvidia drivers got downgraded. I don’t get all this drama here.

4 Likes