[Testing Update] 2021-04-23 - Kernels, Mesa 21.0.3, KDE Apps 21.04, KDE-Dev, Python, Haskell

New -p3 message during boot:

systemd-udevd[264]: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/99-indi_auxiliary.rules:5 Invalid value "/bin/sh -c 'test -f /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/usbfs_memory_mb && test $(cat /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/usbfs_memory_mb) -lt 256 && echo 256 > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/usbfs_memory_mb'" for RUN (char 76: invalid substitution type), ignoring, but please fix it.

I assume this is because of:

Upgrading libindi (1.8.9-1 -> 1.9.0-1)...

Saw that too as I was testing that kernel on my host

Maybe depends on an update of linux-firmware

I’m holding back this update, I don’t have issue with Nvidia 465 and I see people having issue with Nvidia with this update. Waiting for a verification / recompilation of drivers and or anything else breaking Nvidia.

4 Likes

Kernel 5.11.16 seems to reduce the memory consumption drastically, amazing!
:heart_eyes:

4 Likes

i have this pacnew on update
for /etc/makepkg.conf.pacnew

that will impact all compiled AUR with yay or trizen ( or other in AUR )

#
CARCH="x86_64"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"

#-- Compiler and Linker Flags
#CPPFLAGS=""
CFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions \
        -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS \
        -Wformat -Werror=format-security \
        -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection"
CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS"

Had to run from TTY
sudo pacman -Syyuu
for the proper downgrade of nvidia, otherwise the system complained about version magic 5.11.16-1 that should be 5.11.16-2

Blender is not complaining and works flawlessly with CUDA after this update/downgrade, so i guess all was just nvidia related thing.

2 Likes

conky is broken by this update, reverting to previous version helps.

After updating my system, manjaro stopped booting saying “Failed to load kernel modules”.
I booted into a live environment, switch to stable and ran pacman -Syyuu (with downgrades), rebooted and it was fixed, still not really sure what caused it.

Please create a thread in #support:applications with more details.

I asm not interrested in details, it segfaults reverted back and that’s it. Non interrested further…

Fine. Then I’m not interested in fixing it. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

It will be fixed in next release :wink:
BTW it is already fixed in git repo…

2 Likes

Moving windows causes graphical glitches:

And there is similar issues all-around:

kép

*With Radeon RX 5600XT and KDE

There seems to be a discrepancy between the packages changes listed in the announcement and what a pacman -Syu outputs:

• Announcement: linux510-nvidia 465.24.02-2 465.24.02-3
  • Output: avertissement : linux510-nvidia : la version locale (465.24.02-2) est plus récente que extra (460.73.01-1)

This is also the case for the following packages: lib32-nvidia-utils, lib32-opencl-nvidia, linux511-nvidia, linux54-nvidia, mhwd-nvidia, nvidia-utils, opencl-nvidia.

I’m holding back the update until further clarification.

Edit: After seeing in the branch compare that the testing and unstable versions were the same (as of writing, of course), I decided to go through by performing a sudo pacman -Syuu.

No problem to report after doing that.

Red alert for Nvidia users!
After this update, Nvidia stopped working, and I can’t switch to it or hybrid mode through optimus-manager. I recompiled optimus-manager-git but it didn’t help. Restoring system from backup :frowning:

1 Like

Only certain nvidia models I guess? I just tested it in my test-laptop and it works fine with Optimus-Manager, GTX 1050 Ti Mobile, [optimus] startup_mode=nvidia in /etc/optimus-manager/optimus-manager.conf however (I don’t run it with the intel GPU at all, since battery is dead for a long time now).

It is possible, but switch is not working, showing error in optimus-manager log. After the system restore from backup, switch is working fine again.

This update is messing something and it looks like others using Nvidia are noticing it as well, each in its own way.

1 Like

Probably. Looks like the hasty driver upgrade for security reasons wasn’t tested enough on their side.

sudo pacman -Syyuu

the nvidia driver 465 downgraded to 460

3 Likes