[Testing Update] 2021-03-03- Kernels, Plasma 5.21.2, Haskell, Kodi, Grub, KDE-Dev

pamac-tray-icon-plasma 0.1.2-4 now opens up pamac to a correct Featured view! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly.

Well, I’m just gonna put the first sentence of the post which you so thoroughly cite:

And indeed, afterwards, I installed pulseeffects-legacy (cos’, you know, before posting, I try stuff, read here and there and so on…).

If people want to install pamac-flatpak-plugin, they will end up having to install pipewire as a dependency. This being the testing branch, I thought it would be useful to let the devs know of that problem (pulseeffects requiring pipewire-pulse which conflicts with pulseaudio) when these packages get pushed to stable. But what do I know, right?

I can confirm here. As I only have one system to start on this computer, it is not necessary to run os-prober so I also had set GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true in /etc/default/grub.

Nevertheless, os-prober is enabled by this update. I am sure that there are very sophisticated reasons for this decision. Hence, I’d greatly appreciate some clarification why this step was necessary in order to allow me to understand.

For the time being, I have followed the advice and commented out ./usr/share/os-prober/common.sh in /usr/bin/os-prober on line 11.

3 Likes

@Berneri (and all): if you experience “cracky” sound when using pipewire (especially if you use pulseeffects), then try to play around with these parameters inside /etc/pipewire/pipwire.conf:

default.clock-quantum=32

that fixed it for me.

1 Like

Using latest Gnome, no issues with update. Smooth and stable :slight_smile:

Thanks mate

Just curious: How much RAM do you have installed on your machine?

I am asking this because I have been told that in order to run Gnome, it is recommended to have at least 64 GBytes of RAM installed. As you are even saying that it is running “smooth”, I assume that you have more than that, for example, 128 GB RAM, correct?

3 Likes

Where do those (huge) numbers come from? That sounds outright ridiculus.

If the machine mentioned here was used, that would be 8GB.

My machine equipped with 32GB uses (running gnome) 9% of RAM running Firefox…

Somebody jokes on you :wink:
You can run it in 2GB no problem. In order to surf and have some programs open at least 4, and some swap.

Yes, 8 GB RAM :slight_smile:

And that’s indeed sufficient for running Gnome? I thought that this is not enough to use anything beyond XFCE…

I’ve been running Gnome on my five years old Asus with 6 gb no problem, buttery smooth bu I’d say an ssd is essential. Switched to KDE though since I value the configurability, eqally smooth.

The current version of Gnome without any programs running uses about 400-500 MB of RAM. Older versions of Gnome used over 1 GB. That’s why it has a reputation of being RAM-hungry.

I think all Manjaro edition run under 1GB RAM by default.

any news from the tests of version 5 of Pgadmin 4?

1 Like

Thanks for providing the linux511-nvidia-390xx package which enables me to run a 5.11 kernel on my ancient machine with a Nvidia Geforce GTX550 graphics card.

I assume that for the same licensing reasons as for kernel 5.10, installation of the nvidia_uvm module is commented out in PKGBUILD:

#    install -D -m644 "${srcdir}/${_pkg}/kernel/nvidia-uvm.ko" \
#         "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/modules/${_extramodules}/nvidia-uvm.ko"

I enabled these two lines, installed the complete package and could not observe any issues so far.

AFAIR nvidia_uvm is needed only for Cuda, so it’s not necessary if all you need is running X on your GPU.

I know but mkinitcpio -P always throws an error about the missing nvidia_uvm module so if it is indeed deemed unnecessary, it should be disabled there as well.
To be honest, I do not know how to disable the inclusion of nvidia_uvm in mikinitcpio and hence, enabling the module again in the linux511-nvidia390xx package looked like the easier solution, at least for me.