[Testing Update] 2020-12-22 - Kernels, Pamac 10.0.1, Firefox-Beta, Nvidia, KDE-git

Could you please let us know when the oled patches are included in the 510 series, currently it is included in the 59 series, so I’d like to know when to upgrade the kernel (I have an oled laptop).

1 Like

I updated the mirrors from preferences panel but some mirrors are out of date, others are partially updated; what can I do?
It’s impossible to update AUR apps since Pamac 10!

Mousepad dosn’t not open . No error in console, just the nomber of processus .
Solved by typing mousepad -o window

I can’t confirm as I just updated a bunch of AUR packages via Pamac 10.0.1: https://gitlab.manjaro.org/-/snippets/569/raw

1 Like

So far so good, will try to change to Nvidia later tonight.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Terminator fails to start

partial output from dig

➜  ~ dig mirror.philpot.de                                                  

; <<>> DiG 9.16.10 <<>> mirror.philpot.de
;mirror.philpot.de.		IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
philpot.de.		10800	IN	SOA	emma.ns.cloudflare.com. dns.cloudflare.com. 2035957902 10000 2400 604800 3600

;; WHEN: tir dec 22 19:03:46 CET 2020

There is no DNS for the mirror host.

my problem got solved now, so guess the mirror i was on was a bit behind

it’s OK Xfce screen locker ( light-lock ) is working now

Don’t know why, but few days ago I tried to move (again) to GNOME with clean install, found that Nvidia-utils conflicts with Nvidia-455xx-utils (IF I remember the error correct). Made a clean install of KDE, and now I can’t change to Nvidia on kernel 5.10 using optimus-manager.
Log from /var/log/optimus-manager/switch/switch-20201222T202210.log

optimus-manager log
[17] INFO: # Xorg pre-start hook
[17] INFO: Previous state was: {'type': 'pending_pre_xorg_start', 'requested_mode': 'nvidia', 'current_mode': 'integrated'}
[17] INFO: Requested mode is: nvidia
[234] INFO: Available modules: ['nouveau', 'nvidia', 'nvidia_drm', 'nvidia_modeset', 'nvidia_uvm']
[234] INFO: Unloading modules ['nouveau'] (if loaded)
[237] INFO: switching=none, nothing to do
[275] INFO: Loading module nvidia
[401] ERROR: Xorg pre-start setup error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/optimus_manager/bash.py", line 11, in exec_bash
    out = subprocess.check_output(
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 420, in check_output
    return run(*popenargs, stdout=PIPE, timeout=timeout, check=True,
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 524, in run
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args,
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['bash', '-c', 'modprobe nvidia NVreg_UsePageAttributeTable=1']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/optimus_manager/kernel.py", line 238, in _load_module
    exec_bash("modprobe %s %s" % (module, options))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/optimus_manager/bash.py", line 18, in exec_bash
    raise BashError(
optimus_manager.bash.BashError: Failed to execute 'modprobe nvidia NVreg_UsePageAttributeTable=1' :
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Exec format error

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/optimus_manager/hooks/pre_xorg_start.py", line 51, in main
    setup_kernel_state(config, prev_state, requested_mode)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/optimus_manager/kernel.py", line 22, in setup_kernel_state
    _nvidia_up(config, hybrid=(requested_mode == "hybrid"))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/optimus_manager/kernel.py", line 91, in _nvidia_up
    _load_nvidia_modules(config, available_modules)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/optimus_manager/kernel.py", line 134, in _load_nvidia_modules
    _load_module(available_modules, "nvidia", options="NVreg_UsePageAttributeTable=%d" % pat_value)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/optimus_manager/kernel.py", line 240, in _load_module
    raise KernelSetupError("error running modprobe for %s : %s" % (module, str(e)))
optimus_manager.kernel.KernelSetupError: error running modprobe for nvidia : Failed to execute 'modprobe nvidia NVreg_UsePageAttributeTable=1' :
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Exec format error

[402] INFO: Removing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf (if present)
[402] INFO: Writing state {'type': 'pre_xorg_start_failed', 'switch_id': '20201222T202210', 'requested_mode': 'nvidia'}

This is strange, because before this adventure of mine to change to GNOME, optimus-manager was working on kernel 5.10 on KDE. Maybe I missed some step this time around??

I was also on testing that time around.

I also could update AUR packages without problems through pamac.

I switched from Stable to Testing yesterday on my main computer, with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 in it.

After upgrade, it was still running drivers from the old (and now foreign, i.e. not in any repository at all) packages instead of the new ones. If I did not noticed it, my system could have failed anytime in the future because my GPU drivers would not have been upgraded.

I made the switch myself by uninstalling the old packages (now foreign, so easy to find with Pamac) and install the rolling drivers with Manjaro Settings Manager (with video-nvidia).

Did I miss a “manual intervention required” warning posted somewhere?

1 Like

I noticed a similar issue with mousepad after the previous update.
If you have another mousepad window minimised, launching mousepad again will create a new tab, but will not bring the window into focus anymore.
The behaviour could be changed from edit->preferences->window-> open files in: new window.
Nevertheless, I would prefer the new tab option to bring the window back on top, it is rather confusing otherwise.

I just upgraded to kernel 5.10, checked switching to hybrid mode with optimus-manager, run Steam, it used Nvidia correctly, all good on my end. Using Plasma.

Yeah, I honestly don’t know what happened over here, because this worked fine last time I ran KDE. This process of mine trying GNOME in the meantime seems to have messed something up for me.

Did you switch to gdp-prime? From experience of many users, although gdm-prime suppose to work, it oftentimes doesn’t work. Gdm simply sucks when it comes to optimus-manager setups, so I recommend using sddm.

Sorry, I am already back on KDE (should have mentioned that), so no need for gdm-prime now and I am using sddm. Using the terminal shows no errors, just the that the change wasn’t possible and refers to the log. Only happening on kernel 5.10 for the moment.

Go through optimus-manager setup guide again and check everything. Something on your side is misconfigured or missing. Maybe some additional graphical libs or other related packages needs to be installed?
Anyway, the issue is most probably on your end, so the good news is, you can fix it, the bad is, you have to do it yourself.

I have gone through the docs at least 3 times already… reinstalled optimus-manager at least 2x going carefully through the steps… no luck so far… (have checked /etc/sddm.conf)

I will find this… will just take some time.

EDIT:
Interesting, both DisplayCommand and DisplayStopCommand lines are missing from sddm.conf. Not sure if that is relevant becasue we are supposed to add a # in front of it. BUT it makes me wonder if something else is missing from that file.

sddm.conf
[General]
InputMethod=
Numlock=none

[Theme]
CursorTheme=breeze_cursors
DisableAvatarsThreshold=7
EnableAvatars=true
FacesDir=/usr/share/sddm/faces
ThemeDir=/usr/share/sddm/themes

[Users]
DefaultPath=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin
HideShells=
HideUsers=
RememberLastSession=true
RememberLastUser=true
ReuseSession=false

[Wayland]
EnableHiDPI=false
SessionCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/wayland-session
SessionDir=/usr/share/wayland-sessions
SessionLogFile=.local/share/sddm/wayland-session.log

[X11]
EnableHiDPI=false
MinimumVT=1
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp
ServerPath=/usr/bin/X
SessionCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsession
SessionDir=/usr/share/xsessions
SessionLogFile=.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log
UserAuthFile=.Xauthority
XauthPath=/usr/bin/xauth
XephyrPath=/usr/bin/Xephyr

Isn’t it the same error?

Regarding gdm-prime - there was a bug in optimus manager when running with gdm-prime version 3.38. This big was fixed already and it is implemented on AUR optimus-manager-git (it still was not updated in the Manjaro repositories, even though I contacted the package maintainer).