[Testing Update] 2020-10-14 - Plasma, KDE Apps, Browsers, Gnome 3.38. LibreOffice, Mesa

Hello community,

Another testing branch update with some interesting updates for you!

Test the latest Gnome! #stayhome, #staysafe, #stayhealthy

If you like following latest Plasma development you may also like to check out our current version of manjaro-kde-dev, which we build on a regular basis against kde-git master packages. Also check out our latest Manjaro Nibia 20.2 preview release! KDE and Gnome

Our current supported kernels

• linux44 4.4.238
  • linux49 4.9.238
  • linux414 4.14.200
  • linux419 4.19.149
  • linux54 5.4.69
  • linux57 5.7.19 [EOL]
  • linux58 5.8.13
  • linux59 5.9.0
  • linux54-rt 5.4.66_rt38
  • linux56-rt 5.6.19_rt12

Packages Changes (Wed Oct 14 09:03:04 CEST 2020)

• testing community x86_64: 1487 new and 1436 removed package(s)
  • testing core x86_64: 13 new and 13 removed package(s)
  • testing extra x86_64: 816 new and 815 removed package(s)
  • testing multilib x86_64: 13 new and 13 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all package changes can be found here

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

7 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Testing Updates Announcements RSS feed

Older Issues

PAM and PAMBASE got updated, which might prevent you from login

Due to updates from pambase and pam you might take care about any .pacnew files in /etc/pam.d as for example pam_tally, pam_tally2 and pam_cracklib got deprecated. Read in the ArchWiki about managing those files.

Typical issue:

For recovery, it is enough to boot with kernel option “systemd.unit=rescue.target”, then proceed into /etc/pam.d and merge “system-auth” and “system-auth.pacnew”

System takes a long time to boot

If you’ve got errors like Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online. you can try removing systemd from passwd and group in /etc/nsswitch.conf as described here
Update: If you can see the line
dbus-daemon[1453]: [system] Connection has not authenticated soon enough, closing it (auth_timeout=30000ms, elapsed: 45146ms)
in in your dbus log ( journalctl -b -u dbus ), the new/better workaround is to switch cups from service to socket as described here:
systemctl disable org.cups.cupsd.service
systemctl enable org.cups.cupsd.socket

I think I’ve some font problems

With the update of fontconfig some major rules how fonts get applied changed. Make sure that your system has ttf-dejavu installed. A more in depth explanation can be found here.

Gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell is currently incompatible with wayland

… and causes the system to freeze when the first window is tiled and can render it unbootable. Solution is a hard reset and disabling either pop shell or wayland. If the system becomes unbootable, use a live USB to edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf to disable wayland and reboot.

a new testing release is out.
@philm wonder why the announcement is late

1 Like

I suppose they do the announcement when it is ready and synced on some main mirrors?

Wrong versioning:
warning: manjaro-release: local (20.1.1-1) is newer than core (20.1-1)

Nope that’s right, this happened if you came from Stable some packages will be fast-tracked. Manjaro - Fresh & Stable

I came here to check the same thing. Saw there was an update and ran it. Happy to now be running Gnome 3.38, but have some bugs that are worth logging in a proper announcement thread.

Unstable is on par with Testing for this package so no there is something fishy, I don’t believe an update goes straight to Stable without hitting Unstable.

//EDIT: also this is no big deal I think, as this package only serves the purpose of versioning Manjaro with the file lsb-release so… I guess it’s OK, just your Manjaro is version 20.1 instead of 20.1.1

[Testing Update] 2020-10-14
All fine (No Kernel Updates) XFCE + BTRFS + linux58

The announcement will be done when Phil has time. He is very busy (16 hour days :scream: ) getting the Manjaro PinePhone stuff ready to ship.

7 Likes

I seem to not be able to login after this. journalctl seems to suggest a systemd-coredump.

after latest huge update, only tor won’t start, that is minor problem. Didn’t check reason as I don’t use it very often.

Hope he does a good WLB (Work Life Balance), he is the CEO :wink:

This new update has broken my KDE. The “shutdown” and “reboot” options are missing in the Application Launcher applet. The only way to reboot is via CLI. After the first reboot I had some additional icons pinned to my “icons-only Task Manager” but they were easily removed.

1 Like

I have the same problem,looks like if you re-add the widget the buttons appear again,but will dissapear again in a reboot.

1 Like

KDE Plasma 5.20 related: Where is the new SMART Status entry in the Device Viewer (Info Center)? If you wonder what I’m talking about: it has been featured in the KDE Plasma 5.20 highlights video: http s://youtu.be/h_YdaFNsPBE?t=67

It does not exist for me. Any idea why that is not the case?

You need to install plasma-disks package.

2 Likes

Yup, that was it. Thank you very much!

Sadly Oxygen plasma style is getting more and more broken. (empty tooltips, grey squares, invisible icons on hover)

Hi Manjaro Team,

I would like to test the new Kde 5.20 version. Can I update the Kde 5.19.5 version to Kde 5.20.0 via Pamac, or, is it more recommended to use console tty to make the update ?

Thanks for your work.

Regards.